Bearden...tough week ahead

dins8

First and foremost...I love this Bearden team. Aren't they fun to watch? They are by no means the most talented team, but that doesn't mean they aren't the best team. I think Turner has done an exceptional job with his boys teaching them that it is not always about talent; it's about doing what you need to do to get the job done. He teaches team fitness, toughness and tenacious defense--all of these things are what a less talented team needs to beat a more talented team. Just look at how many times they have scored late in the second half for a big win (West, Catholic, Oak Ridge etc). That is a credit to conditioning and a good coach who brings a winning energy that is both contagious and addictive. Bearden hates to lose, and quite frankly, I don't expect them to lose many more games this year.

But guess what? They are going to lose, and I think it is going to happen this week.

Bearden will have a tough weekend, playing a few games in a row, and then they have to face an even tougher week ahead.

They will face a Maryville team that has had their number over the last few years--a Maryville team that is due to beat a big team--a Maryville team that is gelling at the right time. Anyone who watched the Farragut/Maryville game knows that the score was closer than 2-0. Maryville was able to push Farragut around, but Farragut was patient enough to put a couple away, one being in the last few minutes. Farragut was more talented, and they were ultimately able to fight off a scrappy Maryville squad. But Maryville is injured in every possible position, and they were lacking depth in the first place. Bearden's numbers and confidence might prove to be too much for Maryville, especially since they are playing at Bearden. Bearden MIGHT be too much for Maryville, but again, Maryville is due.

But then they have to play their fifth game in a week against a fervent and relentless South Doyle squad. South Doyle is a team full of seniors. They are physical, confident, and most importantly, they are angry that they are not getting the recognition that some of the other teams in this area are getting. Sure, they have played a soft schedule, which makes people overlook their 8-1 record. This has been the word about this talented team, and I believe they are out to show the state that they can beat the good teams. I am a big fan of their center mids; I believe the numbers are #7 and #12. They are tricky, but more importantly their work rate makes them better than they are. They will foul you, beat you to the ball, and shoot from long range. #12 can strike an excellent ball, and this can catch a keeper on his heels. I say South Doyle is licking their chops for this one, and I say they just might do it.

Ultimately, I think Bearden will be the #1 seed in this district for the tournament, and they will indubitably be another favorite to make a run at states. But they face a tough and tiring week ahead, and they face two teams that will be willing to do WHATEVER it takes to put the #2 team in the state down. Maryville might get 'em, and if Maryville doesn't, South Doyle will.

All in good fun guys...no disrespect to Bearden at all. Any thoughts?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Thasmykeez @ Apr 20 2007 - 10:33 AM) 826441833[/snapback]nice assessment. i too think bearden will drop one this week, hopefully to the 'kees. sd's center mids are actually 6 and 12, but yeah, they are both ballers.

That's right! I got their numbers wrong. And I can't even remember the kid that is good from striking it from long range. It is the taller one, but they are both great players!

I dont think this is beardens week to lose expecially not to maryville. If they do lose and i say IF i believe it will be to a rested south-doyle team who only plays seymour on wednesday. But South-Doyle has not played a decent team in 2-3 weeks which could go for beardens advantage. Also I have seen south-doyle play and they have seemed to have a soild team but if there is a weakness it has to be one of their outside defenders. I think it's #14 on the right but i've seen him play both. He seems to be scared to head the ball on 50-50 balls and his first touch is sub par to say the least. But other than that, if #12 and I believe it's #6(dins8) control the ball in the middle I think we might have some trouble. But in the end, Bearden 2-1 victory over south-doyle.

QUOTE(Bulldogsare#1 @ Apr 20 2007 - 11:38 AM) 826441877[/snapback]I dont think this is beardens week to lose expecially not to maryville. If they do lose and i say IF i believe it will be to a rested south-doyle team who only plays seymour on wednesday. But South-Doyle has not played a decent team in 2-3 weeks which could go for beardens advantage. Also I have seen south-doyle play and they have seemed to have a soild team but if there is a weakness it has to be one of their outside defenders. I think it's #14 on the right but i've seen him play both. He seems to be scared to head the ball on 50-50 balls and his first touch is sub par to say the least. But other than that, if #12 and I believe it's #6(dins8) control the ball in the middle I think we might have some trouble. But in the end, Bearden 2-1 victory over south-doyle.

Fair enough! I, too, think SD will give you a better fight. Great job so far this season!

QUOTE(shoehp @ Apr 20 2007 - 07:50 PM) 826442058[/snapback]Bearden 3 McMinn Co. 0 in first half

Bearden 5 McMinn 0 late in the 2nd half.

QUOTE(Thasmykeez @ Apr 20 2007 - 12:33 PM) 826441833[/snapback]nice assessment. i too think bearden will drop one this week, hopefully to the 'kees. sd's center mids are actually 6 and 12, but yeah, they are both ballers.

I think you are referring to Neil and Nate

QUOTE(Thasmykeez @ Apr 20 2007 - 12:33 PM) 826441833[/snapback]nice assessment. i too think bearden will drop one this week, hopefully to the 'kees. sd's center mids are actually 6 and 12, but yeah, they are both ballers.

to "keez" and to dins8....I agree. If Bearden is going to lose a game it should be after this weeks tournament. If Bearden happens to lose a game in the McMinn Tour- then I think it will be a different story. 5 games in 7 days takes it's toll on anyone. One thing that I think everyone should know is this- Bearden is aware of how good a team South Doyle is! And I agree that the Cherokees deserve some recognition. 8-1 is a good team no matter who they play. Why are they not ranked somewhere! You can only play your schedule. They will not be overlooked- Turner will see to that.

Bearden needs no other reason to be mad at Maryville- they lost to them last year at Maryville- they believe in paybacks!! This should be an interesting week all around. Another team that is under the radar seems to be Carter. I would like to see them play a game but it is hard to find their schedule. Any help would be appreciated!!

QUOTE(pseudophobia @ Apr 20 2007 - 08:56 PM) 826442141[/snapback]Bearden needs no other reason to be mad at Maryville- they lost to them last year at Maryville- they believe in paybacks!!

You are correct. But Bearden got their "payback" a few weeks later by beating them at Maryville 2-0 in the District semifinal last year. Beating Bearden during the season is one thing, but come post-season, it would be stupid to bet against them.

QUOTE(pseudophobia @ Apr 20 2007 - 10:56 PM) 826442141[/snapback]to "keez" and to dins8....I agree. If Bearden is going to lose a game it should be after this weeks tournament. If Bearden happens to lose a game in the McMinn Tour- then I think it will be a different story. 5 games in 7 days takes it's toll on anyone. One thing that I think everyone should know is this- Bearden is aware of how good a team South Doyle is! And I agree that the Cherokees deserve some recognition. 8-1 is a good team no matter who they play. Why are they not ranked somewhere! You can only play your schedule. They will not be overlooked- Turner will see to that.

Bearden needs no other reason to be mad at Maryville- they lost to them last year at Maryville- they believe in paybacks!! This should be an interesting week all around. Another team that is under the radar seems to be Carter. I would like to see them play a game but it is hard to find their schedule. Any help would be appreciated!!

I Carter plays Webb at Carter on April 30th at 7p.m. if that helps. Hopefully tournament schedules will be in the sentinel so maybe checking there can help.

QUOTE(pseudophobia @ Apr 20 2007 - 10:56 PM) 826442141[/snapback]to "keez" and to dins8....I agree. If Bearden is going to lose a game it should be after this weeks tournament. If Bearden happens to lose a game in the McMinn Tour- then I think it will be a different story. 5 games in 7 days takes it's toll on anyone. One thing that I think everyone should know is this- Bearden is aware of how good a team South Doyle is! And I agree that the Cherokees deserve some recognition. 8-1 is a good team no matter who they play. Why are they not ranked somewhere! You can only play your schedule. They will not be overlooked- Turner will see to that.

From TSSAA:

04/24/2007 (Tue) 7:00 Gibbs High School * Home

04/26/2007 (Thu) 6:00 Harriman High School * Away

04/27/2007 (Fri) 7:00 Union Co. High School Home

04/30/2007 (Mon) 7:00 Webb School of Knoxville Home