Bearden...tough week ahead

dins8

QUOTE(Bulldog Dad @ Apr 25 2007 - 11:58 AM) 826445102[/snapback]Nice analysis Dins8.

Exactly what they did to Hendersonville in the state championship last year. Hv took shot after shot from 20+ yds but got almost nothing inside.

It looks like it, but in the Bearden games I've seen they only play three defenders (last year they played four), but they've got 4-5 midfielders that don't mind working their butts off. The two outside mids almost always beat the opposing fwds back down the field essentially creating a flat five at times. By the time the opposing offense has 4-5 players down the field Bearden has 6-7 standing at the 18.

Yes, but what too many overlook is the transition defense. How does Turner get his midfielders to work so hard? Easy, he's got enough depth that if you don't run you'll be on the bench in a hurry. And that's not an idle threat.

Bulldog Dad-

What insight! You are right; I think so many people consider Bearden a bunkering team, yet they just consider it good transition defense. Bearden's players seem to understand something that a great deal of teams at a HS level do not--everyone defends.

I personally would have a hard time coaching my kids to give the opposing midfielders so much space and time to possess, but how can you argue with such a successful coach and program? After all, you are right, Maryville's shots were low percentage shots.

Best,

dins

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting Seymour vs. South Doyle score... I don't know the details (shot count and such), but I think it suprised some people. I think most people were writing Seymour off on this game, and perhaps South Doyle was looking too far ahead to the Bearden game. Seymour is not a team to take lightly (believe me, we know, when we went down 2 goals in the district tournament a couple of years back). While ties aren't victories, I give credit to Seymour for a 0-0 tie with a very good South Doyle team!

QUOTE(BigG @ Apr 25 2007 - 05:25 PM) 826445333[/snapback]Interesting Seymour vs. South Doyle score... I don't know the details (shot count and such), but I think it suprised some people. I think most people were writing Seymour off on this game, and perhaps South Doyle was looking too far ahead to the Bearden game. Seymour is not a team to take lightly (believe me, we know, when we went down 2 goals in the district tournament a couple of years back). While ties aren't victories, I give credit to Seymour for a 0-0 tie with a very good South Doyle team!

shots were 11-6 south doyle seymour was flat in the first half and south doyle was firing the seymour keeper came up huge but so did the defense smoldering most of the offense for SD 2nd half seymour dominated possession and SD keeper came up huge i don't know how "Good" of a goalie he is but he has hands and is 6'5" he makes it look easy and seymour had some quality chances in the 2nd half

perspicacity=

per·spi·cac·i·ty /ˌpɜrspɪˈk?sɪti/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pur-spi-kas-i-tee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun

1. keenness of mental perception and understanding; discernment; penetration.

2. Archaic. keen vision.

Used in a sentence: A lack of persipicacity would cause someone to believe all of us on coachT would know what persipacacity means.

geez Dins, I only have 9 hours left for my masters in education and I had no idea what that word meant, take it easy on us champ. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

QUOTE(akula21 @ Apr 25 2007 - 08:08 PM) 826445466[/snapback]perspicacity=

per·spi·cac·i·ty /ˌpɜrspɪˈk?sɪti/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pur-spi-kas-i-tee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun

1. keenness of mental perception and understanding; discernment; penetration.

2. Archaic. keen vision.

Used in a sentence: A lack of persipicacity would cause someone to believe all of us on coachT would know what persipacacity means.

geez Dins, I only have 9 hours left for my masters in education and I had no idea what that word meant, take it easy on us champ. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

I am too wordy aren't I? Maybe that is why my English teachers used to tell me to stop dancing around the topic and just say it. I get the impression that a lot of viewers on here roll their eyes when they see something I post. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Akula, I changed my recent post. I am embarrassed now! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

yeah...i think south doyle may have been looking in the future a bit too far. There's no way the shot count was 11 to 6 by the way. probably a lot more like south doyle 20+ to seymour 5. doyle is definitely having some trouble finishing at the moment. getting plenty of chances, but not putting them away. SD is also currently having trouble playing down to their opponent's level, they are bad about this. of course seymour deserves plenty of credit...making save after save and hanging in there. they always get fired up against SD, and practically base their whole season around that one game. hopefully doyle can overcome their drout of not finishing well when friday rolls around. oh and doyle got an absolutely TERRIBLE red card call when seymour's keeper and doyle's player went up for a cross...clearly a 50-50 ball shoulder to shoulder and no one w/control. not blatant or dirty in the least bit. both players hit the ground and were back up in a second looking for the ball. terrible call and means SD will have yet another starter out for bearden game.

QUOTE(R.U.R. @ Apr 25 2007 - 08:31 PM) 826445503[/snapback]yeah...i think south doyle may have been looking in the future a bit too far. There's no way the shot count was 11 to 6 by the way. probably a lot more like south doyle 20+ to seymour 5. doyle is definitely having some trouble finishing at the moment. getting plenty of chances, but not putting them away. SD is also currently having trouble playing down to their opponent's level, they are bad about this. of course seymour deserves plenty of credit...making save after save and hanging in there. they always get fired up against SD, and practically base their whole season around that one game. hopefully doyle can overcome their drout of not finishing well when friday rolls around. oh and doyle got an absolutely TERRIBLE red card call when seymour's keeper and doyle's player went up for a cross...clearly a 50-50 ball shoulder to shoulder and no one w/control. not blatant or dirty in the least bit. both players hit the ground and were back up in a second looking for the ball. terrible call and means SD will have yet another starter out for bearden game.

i heard it was a pretty iffy call yeah shoulder to shoulder with the keeper he ran right through

QUOTE(easttnref @ Apr 25 2007 - 05:41 PM) 826445342[/snapback]shots were 11-6 south doyle seymour was flat in the first half and south doyle was firing the seymour keeper came up huge but so did the defense smoldering most of the offense for SD 2nd half seymour dominated possession and SD keeper came up huge i don't know how "Good" of a goalie he is but he has hands and is 6'5" he makes it look easy and seymour had some quality chances in the 2nd half

i sure as heck hope your name isn't compatible with what you were doing today around 2oclock.....

QUOTE(R.U.R. @ Apr 25 2007 - 09:31 PM) 826445503[/snapback]yeah...i think south doyle may have been looking in the future a bit too far. There's no way the shot count was 11 to 6 by the way. probably a lot more like south doyle 20+ to seymour 5. doyle is definitely having some trouble finishing at the moment. getting plenty of chances, but not putting them away. SD is also currently having trouble playing down to their opponent's level, they are bad about this. of course seymour deserves plenty of credit...making save after save and hanging in there. they always get fired up against SD, and practically base their whole season around that one game. hopefully doyle can overcome their drout of not finishing well when friday rolls around. oh and doyle got an absolutely TERRIBLE red card call when seymour's keeper and doyle's player went up for a cross...clearly a 50-50 ball shoulder to shoulder and no one w/control. not blatant or dirty in the least bit. both players hit the ground and were back up in a second looking for the ball. terrible call and means SD will have yet another starter out for bearden game.

I totally agree. The shot count was definitely more like South Doyle - 17 Seymour - 5. but credit is due to Seymour, yes but once again South Doyle gets screwed when they have certain refs officiating the game. but "R. U. R." is totally correct at saying South Doyle needs to finish better. the finishing in the game today was awful. but Seymour played a good game. unlucky that both teams have to settle on a tie. I, personally, think they should get rid of ties in high school soccer b/c they are not good for anything, and you don't have them in the post season so why have them in the regular season. But good luck to both teams, South Doyle and Seymour, on the rest of the season.

QUOTE(easttnref @ Apr 25 2007 - 09:35 PM) 826445512[/snapback]i heard it was a pretty iffy call yeah shoulder to shoulder with the keeper he ran right through

terrible call. was the worst call I've ever seen in a match ever. you must play for Seymour, "easttnref" because if you were there and saw it, you would agree it did not deserve a straight red.

QUOTE(paulbrown101 @ Apr 25 2007 - 08:40 PM) 826445525[/snapback]terrible call. was the worst call I've ever seen in a match ever. you must play for Seymour, "easttnref" because if you were there and saw it, you would agree it did not deserve a straight red.

just curious paul...but are you affiliated w/SD....or just a spectator?