Knox West vs. Catholic

winner123

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will the rain or field help or hurt Catholic. Is everyone playing for both teams/

My prediction is

Catholic 2 West 1

Farragut 2 CAK 1

QUOTE(mrh11 @ May 2 2007 - 09:21 AM) 826449927[/snapback]Hoping for a good game, good luck to the Irish. 2-1 to the away team.

It sounds like I missed an exciting match at West. I am told that A/AA #1 Catholic (13-3-2) led #5 AAA West (10-2-4), at West, 3-0 with about 15 minutes to go and West came back to draw at 3-3. Sounds like a great match. Now for the tournaments! Now the season really begins! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Wow hoya, I should have stayed for the whole game, I left at halftime with Catholic up 2-0. On the first goal, a ball got through in the middle and beckham headed it in from about pretty close range. ( I know the backup senior keeper guy was in at that time, not sure if the starter would have gotten to it, it was a pretty tough ball) The second goal was a legit penalty call, definitely a push in the back, and leader put it away with an excellent shot. Later, chase put a cross in the ricardo, but a put a free header right to the keeper from 5 yards out, waste of a great chance. Overall in the 1st half, Catholic came out stronger at first, but West picked it up and the 2nd part of the half was pretty even. I guess West did well in the last 15 minutes.... /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

QUOTE(Hoya @ May 3 2007 - 07:11 PM) 826451153[/snapback]It sounds like I missed an exciting match at West. I am told that A/AA #1 Catholic (13-3-2) led #5 AAA West (10-2-4), at West, 3-0 with about 15 minutes to go and West came back to draw at 3-3. Sounds like a great match. Now for the tournaments! Now the season really begins! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Hoya, you need to answer your phone when I call you!!! I had to find out from another source!!!

What happen to Catholic the 2nd half. I hear they had a 3 to 0 lead with 20 left. How did West come back and score 3 to tie the game. What happened???? Is there concern for the Irish???

QUOTE(mrh11 @ May 3 2007 - 07:38 PM) 826451180[/snapback]Wow hoya, I should have stayed for the whole game, I left at halftime with Catholic up 2-0. On the first goal, a ball got through in the middle and beckham headed it in from about pretty close range. ( I know the backup senior keeper guy was in at that time, not sure if the starter would have gotten to it, it was a pretty tough ball) The second goal was a legit penalty call, definitely a push in the back, and leader put it away with an excellent shot. Later, chase put a cross in the ricardo, but a put a free header right to the keeper from 5 yards out, waste of a great chance. Overall in the 1st half, Catholic came out stronger at first, but West picked it up and the 2nd part of the half was pretty even. I guess West did well in the last 15 minutes.... /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

QUOTE(allsoccer @ May 4 2007 - 10:16 AM) 826451522[/snapback]What happen to Catholic the 2nd half. I hear they had a 3 to 0 lead with 20 left. How did West come back and score 3 to tie the game. What happened???? Is there concern for the Irish???

It's hard to complain about last night's result. They rang up 3 unanswered scores against the #5 AAA team in the state at West. It was just a matter of time until a quality side like West would rally and hit the back of the net themselves on their Senior Night. The final score really doesn't surprise me at all. They are very comparable as their records would indicate: Catholic (13-3-2) and West (10-2-4). Both lost by one goal to Webb and both lost to Bearden---the Irish 1-2 and West 0-2.

I do wonder whether the Irish understand how to protect late game results. They gave up goals in the last 20 seconds or so in three big AAA matches at the Bearden tournament earlier in the year. Bearden and Morristown West beat them with last second goals after all but certain ties had occurred. Then at the same tournament McMinn Co. tied them 1-1 in the last few seconds of a match the Irish appeared to have won. Each one of these scores resulted from well-played counterattacks after ill-conceived efforts by the Irish to score with time running out. Sometimes, you have to know when to fold 'em. Two more draws and another victory (all against quality AAA teams) would look nice on their season record. Beating Germantown Houston eased the pain.

Overall, I 'm not be too concerned for the Irish. The only A/AA team within a goal of them at the end of a match this season was CAK and the Irish closed that match out quite well. Now they need to rest up and get focused for the real season. I'm personally hoping for three more matches with the Warriors and a victory in Catholic's last game of the season.

My guess is that as Catholic is up 3-0 with 15 minutes left, the coach probably pulled some of his starters for risk of injury (with districts coming up). They get one goal back, and you probably don't sweat it. Two and you start thinking about putting some of your guys back in... 3 and its over. I am sure it was frustrating, but on the whole scale of things, probably a good lesson to be learned from it going into districts.

Any of those 3 goals that West scored from throw ins?

QUOTE(Hoya @ May 4 2007 - 01:42 PM) 826451799[/snapback]I believe at least one came from a Cannon Thompson throw in, but I am not certain. He's going to be a force for the next three years.

#2 and #3 were from throw-ins. They are more dangerous than corners.