Number Of Umpires in District Tournament play

gretchendowns

QUOTE(Way2Go @ May 7 2007 - 01:19 PM) 826453569[/snapback]YES I READ THE POST RIGHT!!! I WASN'T SAYING THIS FOR ANY PARTICULAR GAME!!! I HAVE READ SEVERAL OTHER THREADS THAT BLAME THE UMPS ALSO. THE BAD CALLS GO BOTH WAYS, I'M DEFINATELY NOT DENYING THAT!!!! I ALSO AGREE THAT THERE SHOULD BE 3 UMPS IN THE FIELD. ONE UMP CAN'T SEE 1ST BASE WHEN HE IS AT SHORTSTOP AND THE HOME UMP ISN'T USUALLY WATCHING LIKE THEY SHOULD BE. IT'S VERY FRUSTRATING FOR EVERYONE (INCLUDING THE UMPS). YOU COUNLD'NT PAY ME ENOUGH MONEY TO UMP A GIRLS SOFTBALL GAME. AS SPECTATORS WE CAN BE VERY BAD. THE UMPS TAKE A LOT OF GRIEF, THEY WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO MAKE BOTH TEAMS HAPPY.

FYI-Typing in all capital letters is refered to as shouting at someone on a message board. Could you quiet down just a little bit please. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Just kidding with you a little bit, but it really is supposed to be rude to do that. There are really a lot of people who blame the umps but gretchen is not one to do that at the drop of a hat. It really was a bad call at 1st base but nobody is perfect. That ump is usually a pretty good one. Good Luck Lady Raiders!!! You've got what is takes to come back and win this district tournament. Just keep the bats going and keep the hoping that the pitchers are allowed to have 4 corners! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ice @ May 7 2007 - 04:39 PM) 826453699[/snapback]FYI-Typing in all capital letters is refered to as shouting at someone on a message board. Could you quiet down just a little bit please. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Just kidding with you a little bit, but it really is supposed to be rude to do that. There are really a lot of people who blame the umps but gretchen is not one to do that at the drop of a hat. It really was a bad call at 1st base but nobody is perfect. That ump is usually a pretty good one. Good Luck Lady Raiders!!! You've got what is takes to come back and win this district tournament. Just keep the bats going and keep the hoping that the pitchers are allowed to have 4 corners! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

What I have a problem with is the STRIKE ZONE!!!! 90% of the umps we have seen have been inconsistant and will NOT call

a pitch a strike at the knees!!! Read the rule book and call a strike a strike according to the rules!!!!!

QUOTE(doncor @ May 8 2007 - 09:50 AM) 826454307[/snapback]What I have a problem with is the STRIKE ZONE!!!! 90% of the umps we have seen have been inconsistant and will NOT call

a pitch a strike at the knees!!! Read the rule book and call a strike a strike according to the rules!!!!!

Pardon my LOUDNESS, I seem to make less mistakes typing if I type all caps.!!!

I agree with the strike zone problem. Not just with our area, but ALL areas. One time the pitch will be a strike and the very next pitch will be at the same place and will be called a ball. Go figure??!! I have never seen a very consistent ump with the strike zone. The good thing is, that is usually works the same for both sides.

QUOTE(Way2Go @ May 7 2007 - 08:38 AM) 826453323[/snapback]WHY IS IT WHEN TEAMS LOSE THEY ALWAYS BLAME THE UMPS!!!? THEY WAY I HEARD IT TULLAHOMA PLAYED JUST AS HARD AS COFFEE COUNTY PLAYED AND DESERVED TO WIN JUST AS MUCH!!!!! AND THE UMP WAS CALLING LOW PITCHES FOR ONE TEAM AND NOT THE OTHER. THE CALLS SEEM TO GO BOTH WAYS EITHER IN THE PITCHING OR BASES. IT'S A WASH EITHER WAY. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF THE TEAMS.

Gretchen was not blaming the umps because Coffee County Lost. The Umps. were really out of position in that game. She was just stating that there should be more than two umpires per game in district tourn. or that the two that are there, they should hustle more to be in the best position possible to make the correct call. Win or lose that /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> should be left to the players themselves, not to poor hustle on the umpires.

QUOTE(softballmom27 @ May 8 2007 - 02:16 PM) 826454571[/snapback]Gretchen was not blaming the umps because Coffee County Lost. The Umps. were really out of position in that game. She was just stating that there should be more than two umpires per game in district tourn. or that the two that are there, they should hustle more to be in the best position possible to make the correct call. Win or lose that /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> should be left to the players themselves, not to poor hustle on the umpires.

I wasn't blaming the umps either, read my later post! I well understood her post and her comments and I agree that it would be easier with more umps. There would be less errors if there were more.

As long as they are consistant, so we can adjust the girls to the umpires tendancies. ie strike zones. Missing calls is going to happen, but as long as the umps work as a team and try to get it corrected then we cannot ask for more. Watch espn last night and it clearly showed baseball umps missing a tag at 2nd, and they four per game?

QUOTE(Way2Go @ May 8 2007 - 01:17 PM) 826454504[/snapback]Pardon my LOUDNESS, I seem to make less mistakes typing if I type all caps.!!!

I agree with the strike zone problem. Not just with our area, but ALL areas. One time the pitch will be a strike and the very next pitch will be at the same place and will be called a ball. Go figure??!! I have never seen a very consistent ump with the strike zone. The good thing is, that is usually works the same for both sides.

Yes you are correct, but what I meant to say is that I would like to see the strike zone (from chest area to knee ) called a strike. The pictchers are taught to keep the ball down, and when they are squeezed to pitch to the waste, the batter is going to tee off!! I was thinking more of a saftey concern.

QUOTE(Way2Go @ May 8 2007 - 02:33 PM) 826454581[/snapback]I wasn't blaming the umps either, read my later post! I well understood her post and her comments and I agree that it would be easier with more umps. There would be less errors if there were more.

By the way, we had 3 umps. 1A to. I wonder why we had three and some of the larger schools or classifications had two?

Who is responsible for getting these at torney's?

QUOTE(Way2Go @ May 7 2007 - 08:38 AM) 826453323[/snapback]WHY IS IT WHEN TEAMS LOSE THEY ALWAYS BLAME THE UMPS!!!? THEY WAY I HEARD IT TULLAHOMA PLAYED JUST AS HARD AS COFFEE COUNTY PLAYED AND DESERVED TO WIN JUST AS MUCH!!!!! AND THE UMP WAS CALLING LOW PITCHES FOR ONE TEAM AND NOT THE OTHER. THE CALLS SEEM TO GO BOTH WAYS EITHER IN THE PITCHING OR BASES. IT'S A WASH EITHER WAY. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF THE TEAMS.

If that is the case, How can you call someone out when it is not a force play,

the defense tags the runner with the glove, While holding the ball in the other hand.

Which robbed Coffee Co.

QUOTE(scrappy2616 @ May 8 2007 - 11:40 PM) 826455090[/snapback]If that is the case, How can you call someone out when it is not a force play,

the defense tags the runner with the glove, While holding the ball in the other hand.

Which robbed Coffee Co.

Tack that to the new thread that has just started about umpires, they can't be expected to see everything, like I said, it goes BOTH ways. Wish I had a solution, maybe spectators should try to ump one time and see how hard it is to watch everything!