Wood Bats

single7

I believe it's time to bring our great game back to where it once was,these metal bats are a joke to the game, kids hitting 500 and pitchers with era's at 4 and 5 is not how the game was meant to be played,New York has woke up and put the wooden bat back in baseball and let's follow suit and do the same,go watch a good summer game with the college wooden bat league and see what I mean,a check swing or a great pitch on the hands is a grounder to the mound not a hit to right field,as far as pitchers they have proved that a ball throw at certain speeds and batters swinging the same that no human could react in time to stop the ball,I seen a college pitcher get hit in the head I was calling the field and it was hit so hard I didn't see it,he lived and was ok after a few weeks but what if? I'm so tired of watching and umpiring 15 to 14 baseball games and hereing the ping of the bat instead of the crack of the bat , this would also put coaching back in the game and we can tell just how good these kids really are ,a kid that hit's 400 with a metal bat hit's what with a wooden bat? When you think about it compared to other sports it would be like making the basketball goal twice the size to shoot at now how crazy would that be? Let's respect this great game and put it back where it belongs and start playing with the wood !!!!!!

QUOTE(single7 @ May 16 2007 - 09:47 AM) 826460192[/snapback]I believe it's time to bring our great game back to where it once was,these metal bats are a joke to the game, kids hitting 500 and pitchers with era's at 4 and 5 is not how the game was meant to be played,New York has woke up and put the wooden bat back in baseball and let's follow suit and do the same,go watch a good summer game with the college wooden bat league and see what I mean,a check swing or a great pitch on the hands is a grounder to the mound not a hit to right field,as far as pitchers they have proved that a ball throw at certain speeds and batters swinging the same that no human could react in time to stop the ball,I seen a college pitcher get hit in the head I was calling the field and it was hit so hard I didn't see it,he lived and was ok after a few weeks but what if? I'm so tired of watching and umpiring 15 to 14 baseball games and hereing the ping of the bat instead of the crack of the bat , this would also put coaching back in the game and we can tell just how good these kids really are ,a kid that hit's 400 with a metal bat hit's what with a wooden bat? When you think about it compared to other sports it would be like making the basketball goal twice the size to shoot at now how crazy would that be? Let's respect this great game and put it back where it belongs and start playing with the wood !!!!!!

You are kidding right. If you enjoy watching 11 inning games where the score is 0-0 every single night then go for it. Most high school kids do not have the strength or know how to hit with a wooden bat. Instead of the .500 averages the best players would be hitting .250 and that's not right either. The game is fine where it is. There aren't too many lpayers in high school that will hit over .500 in AAA baseball and there are even less who can hit a ball hard enough to kill someone. Take a step back and think about it for a second. Wooden bats would do nothing but make games boring and hard to watch.

You don't have to go back to wood bats.

Bat companies can create an aluminum bat with the exact same BESR specs as wood, same weights, etc. but don't do it.

I did see something strange at Cleveland the other night. Batter using a Demarini bat, broke the bat, sounded very similar to the sound a wood bat makes. It was a nearly new bat, too.

Interesting article on North Dakota

Article on NYC schools

I think the safety factor is a myth based on perceived reality rather than facts. There may be a slight increase with aluminum bats, but not enough to make a statistical difference. At the high school level, I would argue that there are very few players talented and strong enough to make a a huge difference with an aluminum bat. The only time I could see a problem is on a shot back up the middle that hits a pitcher, and I don't know if the bats would make that much difference in speed.

I have often heard one argument against wooden bats being the cost. Based on the ND article, that didn't seem to be a factor yet. But, you would need to go back at end of season to tally up the total costs.

I agree that I think wooden bats would make the games more pure and that overall it would develop better baseball players. Batters would have to work on hitting to hit the ball with more power. Defenses would have to be more fundamentally sound because the ball would be in play much more. At least in theory.

I think it would be good overall. And no, there isn't anything that soudns as nice as the crack of a wooden bat.

I dont think the difference is so dramatic that a 500 hitter would only hit 250. I can see why so many people do not like metal bats. I always enjoyed playing with wooden bats, it made me a better hitter. The only problem would be that pitchers would then have such a dramatic advantage because alot of kids in high school will not even hit with wood at all. You would have to do something to equal it out. I am sure that someone has complained about the baseballs that when hit fly like golf balls. I mean Diamond D1's will go along way. I just think there is really not that much depth in pitching like their used to be.

QUOTE(single7 @ May 16 2007 - 09:47 AM) 826460192[/snapback]I believe it's time to bring our great game back to where it once was,these metal bats are a joke to the game, kids hitting 500 and pitchers with era's at 4 and 5 is not how the game was meant to be played,New York has woke up and put the wooden bat back in baseball and let's follow suit and do the same,go watch a good summer game with the college wooden bat league and see what I mean,a check swing or a great pitch on the hands is a grounder to the mound not a hit to right field,as far as pitchers they have proved that a ball throw at certain speeds and batters swinging the same that no human could react in time to stop the ball,I seen a college pitcher get hit in the head I was calling the field and it was hit so hard I didn't see it,he lived and was ok after a few weeks but what if? I'm so tired of watching and umpiring 15 to 14 baseball games and hereing the ping of the bat instead of the crack of the bat , this would also put coaching back in the game and we can tell just how good these kids really are ,a kid that hit's 400 with a metal bat hit's what with a wooden bat? When you think about it compared to other sports it would be like making the basketball goal twice the size to shoot at now how crazy would that be? Let's respect this great game and put it back where it belongs and start playing with the wood !!!!!!

You need to get your team signed up for the Walking Horse Wooden Bat Classic which Cascade hosts every season for a fundraiser. It usually falls around the first part of April and has been very successful. You'd enjoy hearing that "crack of the bat" for a few games anyway! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

QUOTE(cascade11 @ May 16 2007 - 09:35 AM) 826460229[/snapback]You need to get your team signed up for the Walking Horse Wooden Bat Classic which Cascade hosts every season for a fundraiser. It usually falls around the first part of April and has been very successful. You'd enjoy hearing that "crack of the bat" for a few games anyway! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I coached a summer high school aged team the last 3 years we went to Georgia and played in a wooden bat tourney and they had a blast,they all agreed it proved the type of player they really were,as afar as the guy who said watching 0 to 0 11 inning game we played with them when I was in school and I don't remember any games like that, if he thinks that way then he must think no one can really hit at all, come on lets see the real players not half of them,if u remember a few years ago the main man who worked for the metal bat company resighed because their was prove how dangerous the metal was and they suied him to try not to show the prove but he did, bottom line if u can hit with the wood u can hit plain and simple !