Local Small School Media coverage

LValum14

QUOTE(LValum14 @ May 24 2007 - 03:32 PM) 826466193[/snapback]I apologize about my earlier rant about media coverage. I did not see the paper for wed. I still believe that smaller schools get overlooked quite a bit but I have to eat crow about this one. LV had great coverage on Wed. I understand they have to spread it around. I had a knee jerk reaction when I opened the paper today. My apologies for acting too soon.

Classy post. I too apologize for the harshness of my post. It's just that the guys at the TFP work extraordinarily hard to take care of all the local high school teams. And, no there is not a bias toward the privates. Every school thinks they get less than they deserve and it's usually because something doesn't get covered in which someone's kid does something special. The paper has to choose ahead of time what it will cover and has no way of predicting that something special might happen elsewhere. Also, baseball parents don't care or recognize that their school's tennis team was the featured story the day before, for example. They just care about baseball and can't see that back to back coverage of one school or one sport isn't going to happen.

Few parents understand that it has to be spread around and the TFP staff does a good job of doing that.

If the privates appear to get more, it is likely because they have more teams doing well at the fling because there are fewer of them and they are doing well. Should they be ignored out of some sense of fairness?

I wonder how many people get on here and publicly recognize when Ward Gossett or Stephen Hargis travel across the county on a Sunday night to cover their kids. I've never seen it.

I appreciate what they do and posts complaining otherwise do nothing to help the kids or your school.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(cbg @ May 25 2007 - 07:14 AM) 826466758[/snapback]Ask yourself a few questions and you will have your answer:

What schools do the editors children attend?

The large businesses that purchase the advertising have children and what schools do they attend?

Are you speaking of your paperr or the TFP specifically.

Let's see, if I'm not mistaken, Gossett went to City. Might have been Brainerd. Hargis went to S. Pittsburgh.

The main Sports Editor attended public school in Atlanta.

What was your point again?

Oh yeah, those rich private school people buy all of the ads and that's how those three sports writers choose who to cover.. Riiiighttt.

QUOTE(BaseballthruNthru @ May 25 2007 - 12:06 AM) 826466663[/snapback]One local paper did so much homework for their job that USJ's tennis team won the Championship and the paper put a picture of a player who graduated last year....obviously he no longer plays.....UNBELIEVABLE!

That....is inexcusable.

QUOTE(cbg @ May 25 2007 - 07:14 AM) 826466758[/snapback]Ask yourself a few questions and you will have your answer:

What schools do the editors children attend?

The large businesses that purchase the advertising have children and what schools do they attend?

That's absolute rubbish.