Why do the Knoxville teams make it to the finals more

rebelj

QUOTE(Seldon @ May 25 2007 - 03:06 PM) 826467067[/snapback]So what will happen now with the opening of Hardin Valley HS? It should adversely affect Farragut much more than Bearden but it may also be the emergence of another W Knoxville team.

My Family moved to Hendersonville in late Oct 2006. Station Camp High School opened a few years ago and divided Hendesonville in half. Plus JPII opened up about the same time.

From what I understand from parents from all three schools is that it did not effect Hendersonville HS talent pool at first because most of the good athletic kids wanted to stay or found ways to stay at HHC and graduate. However this year Station Camps Football and Basketball teams had a great season and JPII is in the playoffs in most of their sports. From what I can see HHC is down in Football, Basketball and Baseball.

I think Farragut will not be affected the first 3 to 4 years but after that with the right coaches HV will become a factor.

I would think the folks from Brentwood could tell you how new mega schools can effect schools former glory.

Ravenwood etc!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(stamfordbridgesoccer @ May 25 2007 - 09:20 PM) 826467271[/snapback]Excellent points. And very true. I hope that other schools will continue to follow suit. I can recall teams from East Tennessee whose past soccer coaches had never played the game. Football will always be the sport of the South, but it would be great if there were more Russ Plummers and Eric Turners out there who lived and breathed high school soccer. TN soccer is coming around slowly but surely.

I played in the early/mid 90s and Farragut was the only team from Knoxville that I remember being in the rankings then. I had never heard of Bearden's soccer team until after 2000. Back then there was no seperate divisions for private schools. They were in the same districts/regions as everyone else. Farragut, Oak Ridge, Science Hill, Dobyns-Bennet and Chattanooga teams were always the ones from East Tenenssee in the rankings then. Middle Tennessee had Brentwood, Franklin, Hendersonville, Father Ryan, and sometimes BGA. West Tennessee was mainly just CBHS, Germantown and Houston. It was amazing how good Houston was because they were a brand new school. Their National Championship teams are still the best I've ever seen in Tennessee.

QUOTE(UPSGregg @ May 25 2007 - 08:45 PM) 826467289[/snapback]I played in the early/mid 90s and Farragut was the only team from Knoxville that I remember being in the rankings then. I had never heard of Bearden's soccer team until after 2000. Back then there was no seperate divisions for private schools. They were in the same districts/regions as everyone else. Farragut, Oak Ridge, Science Hill, Dobyns-Bennet and Chattanooga teams were always the ones from East Tenenssee in the rankings then. Middle Tennessee had Brentwood, Franklin, Hendersonville, Father Ryan, and sometimes BGA. West Tennessee was mainly just CBHS, Germantown and Houston. It was amazing how good Houston was because they were a brand new school. Their National Championship teams are still the best I've ever seen in Tennessee.

There were teams from the Knoxville area between 1985-1995 with talent; Bearden, Oak Ridge, Farragut, and Webb.

All these teams shared in one way or another club team members, off-season competition, but not on the level it exists today.

The way the regions were set up during this period only allowed for one Knoxville area team to advance.

The reason Farragut won their first title in the 80s, and thus early state wide notoriety, was a Brazilian transfer student who carried the team with 20+ goals. (See Brandon Tarr, CAK)

From 1995 moving forward to the early 2000s, Bearden and Farragut saw the benefits of improved club soccer and better coaching. Webb moved to a different division, and Oak Ridge faded slightly.

Most recently, West Knoxville has shown that developing a great feeder system in club soccer, excellent fields, and tough competition at young ages, can lead to one of the two teams in the AAA Final tonight winning the title for 6 of the last 7 years and CAK winning 5 in a row.

While other parts of the state are catching up, it is finally to good to see the best teams in the state play for the title rather than one sit home due to their geopgraphic location. For now Tennessee's best soccer resides in West Knoxville.

Congratulations to all the teams.