Outlook for Region 8-4A

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing! What a difference 2 points makes. If I recall, Fairley beat East by two points last year when East truly was not very good. East blew that game with tons of mistakes and poor execution on offense. Nonetheless, East lost and Fairley won. Two points is the difference in talk of Fairley challenging and not East. The sun sets to rise again. East has good young talent (Freshmen and Sophomores). If they make noise this year, the region or 4A in general will be in trouble for years to come. You must smolt them now or your own futures will be in jeapardy.

I was just giving you an overview of what I witness across the city every Friday night. I'm assuming that you are saying that East got better as the season went on. True, that's the idea. Fairley got better also. I know that they improved tremendously by playoff time. As for a look at Melrose..56-6 says it all. As I stated earlier, Melrose is head and shoulders the cream of the crop and frankly Fairley has a much deeper group of athletes than East. The coaching staff over there has improved with experience over the last several years and they will continue to find a way to have a solid lock on 2nd in the division while occasionally challenging Melrose for the top spot. Kingsbury simply does not have enough quality athletes to challenge for the upper tier. RE and NS can't contend with any of the top four. As for your assessment of freshmen and sophs making noise against Melrose and Fairley...It ain't gonna happen. Your wishful thinking is to be applauded though.

I was just giving you an overview of what I witness across the city every Friday night. I'm assuming that you are saying that East got better as the season went on. True, that's the idea. Fairley got better also. I know that they improved tremendously by playoff time. As for a look at Melrose..56-6 says it all. As I stated earlier, Melrose is head and shoulders the cream of the crop and frankly Fairley has a much deeper group of athletes than East. The coaching staff over there has improved with experience over the last several years and they will continue to find a way to have a solid lock on 2nd in the division while occasionally challenging Melrose for the top spot. Kingsbury simply does not have enough quality athletes to challenge for the upper tier. RE and NS can't contend with any of the top four. As for your assessment of freshmen and sophs making noise against Melrose and Fairley...It ain't gonna happen. Your wishful thinking is to be applauded though.

All I can say is we will see. Remember that the coach took over in the middle of the time they usually have spring practice. Also, all the equipment was packed in trailer because of construction. They were not able to have spring practice. He was trying to figure out during the season who could play. A lot of the players, even seniors, had never touched the field before. The team on week 2 was totally different from the team on week 10. On top of that, coach said that they were very undisciplined on the field, and up front they were physically week. He clearly states that the undisciplined play was his fault. He will have that problem fixed I assure you. This year they are young up front but are in much better shape and more athletic. It will definately depend on the line this year (on both sides). Coach had to change defenses in the middle of the season because his line couldn't do the job. They are prepared for that problem this year. East has plenty of interchangable skill guys. We will see who controls the number two spot early because East plays Fairley on week two. It will be a good close game like last year. Fairley does have a lot of good athletes. I can't wait.

All I can say is we will see. Remember that the coach took over in the middle of the time they usually have spring practice. Also, all the equipment was packed in trailer because of construction. They were not able to have spring practice. He was trying to figure out during the season who could play. A lot of the players, even seniors, had never touched the field before. The team on week 2 was totally different from the team on week 10. On top of that, coach said that they were very undisciplined on the field, and up front they were physically week. He clearly states that the undisciplined play was his fault. He will have that problem fixed I assure you. This year they are young up front but are in much better shape and more athletic. It will definately depend on the line this year (on both sides). Coach had to change defenses in the middle of the season because his line couldn't do the job. They are prepared for that problem this year. East has plenty of interchangable skill guys. We will see who controls the number two spot early because East plays Fairley on week two. It will be a good close game like last year. Fairley does have a lot of good athletes. I can't wait.

Wow, what a schedule! The first 4 weeks could be murder! Pearl Cohn, Wooddale, Fairley, and White Station could be backbreakers before relief comes against Northside, RE, and Westwood. Kingsbury will be a challenge that needs to be overcome before traveling to Greenwood and then facing Melrose. Realistically, your team should, as I said, finish in the third spot and that's assuming that you beat Kingsbury and the first 4 weeks haven't killed you. The schedule only gets harder at the end with Greenwood and Melrose. Realistically, you should be looking at something like 3-7 or 4-6. One thing you need to understand region-wise is that Fairley is not going to challenge Melrose for athletes in the city. They will continue to pick up players periodically from Mitchell and Whitehaven. No one from the city is going to move to south Memphis to play at Fairley. Melrose will not lose any potential players to East and they will insure that by pouring the points on the East team every opportunity they get. As I looked over the schedule of the teams in your region, yours looks by far the strongest. I'll be able to tell more after we work the games at the Jamboree and we'll see if your confidence is justified. I'm also looking forward to the Bridges and seeing what is happening with the Ridgeway program. Millington at the Arlington Jamboree should be head and shoulders over the rest there. In the county, it'll be interesting to see how G'town and Houston fare. White Station, still I think may field the best team in the city and I look forward to working the MUS and CBHS game this year. That should be a dandy. All and all, the season is at hand and it'll be a fun year.

Wow, what a schedule! The first 4 weeks could be murder! Pearl Cohn, Wooddale, Fairley, and White Station could be backbreakers before relief comes against Northside, RE, and Westwood. Kingsbury will be a challenge that needs to be overcome before traveling to Greenwood and then facing Melrose. Realistically, your team should, as I said, finish in the third spot and that's assuming that you beat Kingsbury and the first 4 weeks haven't killed you. The schedule only gets harder at the end with Greenwood and Melrose. Realistically, you should be looking at something like 3-7 or 4-6. One thing you need to understand region-wise is that Fairley is not going to challenge Melrose for athletes in the city. They will continue to pick up players periodically from Mitchell and Whitehaven. No one from the city is going to move to south Memphis to play at Fairley. Melrose will not lose any potential players to East and they will insure that by pouring the points on the East team every opportunity they get. As I looked over the schedule of the teams in your region, yours looks by far the strongest. I'll be able to tell more after we work the games at the Jamboree and we'll see if your confidence is justified. I'm also looking forward to the Bridges and seeing what is happening with the Ridgeway program. Millington at the Arlington Jamboree should be head and shoulders over the rest there. In the county, it'll be interesting to see how G'town and Houston fare. White Station, still I think may field the best team in the city and I look forward to working the MUS and CBHS game this year. That should be a dandy. All and all, the season is at hand and it'll be a fun year.

The first weeks will not kill us. Pearl lost those good receivers. Wooddale is regrouping from their coach's departure. Fairley is overrated! That is a must win. We will see how Melrose fairs in the long run. Greenwood has been replaced with Independence HS in Thompson's Station. White Station will be the true barometer. It will be the fourth game and will truley determine the strength of the team. I think the top four in the region are not as far apart as people think. Yes, Melrose is the team to beat, but I wouldn't say that they are head and shoulders above the rest. I'm interested to see how region 7 will shake out. There are a lot of question marks. In 5A, Whitehaven is the wildcard. Will their talent reach its potential. They are loaded as usual, but what will they do with it?

The first weeks will not kill us. Pearl lost those good receivers. Wooddale is regrouping from their coach's departure. Fairley is overrated! That is a must win. We will see how Melrose fairs in the long run. Greenwood has been replaced with Independence HS in Thompson's Station. White Station will be the true barometer. It will be the fourth game and will truley determine the strength of the team. I think the top four in the region are not as far apart as people think. Yes, Melrose is the team to beat, but I wouldn't say that they are head and shoulders above the rest. I'm interested to see how region 7 will shake out. There are a lot of question marks. In 5A, Whitehaven is the wildcard. Will their talent reach its potential. They are loaded as usual, but what will they do with it?

Well, if White Station will be the barometer, you'll soon get a look if the Jamboree matchups are correct. I can't understand why you would match these two up in the jamboree since they play early in the year. I'm afraid your assessment of Fairley is way off base and don't think that Wooddale isn't without athletes . They've got two of the biggest recruits in the state over there. Traveling, wherever you go, can be tough, particularly if you allow any distractions. Riding on a bus for three or more hours is tiring in itself. Hopefully, your team will be able to represent W. Tn. with a big win. Your first 4 weeks will tell the tale. I hate to say it but if I had to pick, I'd say you would very easily find yourself 0-4 to start with. Then it would be a matter of regrouping. Hope this assessment is wrong, but it's an honest opinion. I'll be able to see more at the Jamboree and will come back at a later date and give you my updated opinion after I've seen all the teams play. As for Region 7, look for Henry Co. to rule the roost. JCM and Hardin Co. along with Brighton should be in a battle for 2,3,4.