Drug Testing

CoachHolly7

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In an opinion issued earlier this month, state Attorney General Robert E. Cooper Jr. said random drug testing of students participating in extracurricular activities violates a state law that requires reasonable suspicion of drug use before testing a student.

Science Hill was instituting a drug-testing policy for any students participating in extra-curricular activities, but have since put that on hold pending further review and discussion.

Personally, I am torn. I don't think athletes should be singled out, or any other group, for that matter. But at the same time, my motto has always been, if I'm not taking drugs, what do I care if you test me?

i don't know for sure if this is still the policy, but it was as late as spring 2006, and it wouldn't surprise me if it still was. sycamore high school has mandatory drug testing for every person playing a sport and they are also subject to random drug testing even if the administrations probable cause is just heard through the grapevine of teenage students. the athletes also have to pay the $30 for the drug tests they are required to have. yet, other extra-curriculars, such as band, are not subject to this policy. i guess their athletic director doesn't know about state law. or maybe he just doesn't care, because he's also in the middle of suing the school district because he didn't get promoted to principal. hasn't sycamore had enough bad publicity in the last couple of years, come on.

There are so many high school athletes using illegal drugs it is not even funny. The coaches are too scared to do anything because it might ruin their playoff run. Football especially.

What a shame.

What is " not even funny " is that any bozo can get on here and make wild accusations with no proof of anything. All the coaches I know don't want bad apples on their teams and wouldn't keep them around just to make a playoff run. I am sure there are some athletes who cheat , and some who use the myriad recreational drugs available at most school but this is a small minority of the athletes and even a smaller percentage of coaches who would tolerate such behavior. You do a great disservice to both the coaches and athletes by focusing on the 5% ( or less ) who engage in the illegal activity while ignoring the vast majority who play by the rules.

What is " not even funny " is that any bozo can get on here and make wild accusations with no proof of anything. All the coaches I know don't want bad apples on their teams and wouldn't keep them around just to make a playoff run. I am sure there are some athletes who cheat , and some who use the myriad recreational drugs available at most school but this is a small minority of the athletes and even a smaller percentage of coaches who would tolerate such behavior. You do a great disservice to both the coaches and athletes by focusing on the 5% ( or less ) who engage in the illegal activity while ignoring the vast majority who play by the rules.

I talk to alot of high school atheletes from many teams and youd be shocked to know that 5% isnt even close. Id say more like 20% use recreational drugs often and 75% have tried them. I wouldnt say thier is a vast majority who play by the rules. Its a shame that they do it, but this didnt start yesterday. It gets handed down year after year. Seniors do it, underclassmen do it to impress the upperclassmen. Terrible trend.

There are so many high school athletes using illegal drugs it is not even funny. The coaches are too scared to do anything because it might ruin their playoff run. Football especially.

What a shame.

haha its not just athletes its everyone but it is a big problem when it comes to sports because it means alot more than just an average student but still

I talk to alot of high school atheletes from many teams and youd be shocked to know that 5% isnt even close. Id say more like 20% use recreational drugs often and 75% have tried them. I wouldnt say thier is a vast majority who play by the rules. Its a shame that they do it, but this didnt start yesterday. It gets handed down year after year. Seniors do it, underclassmen do it to impress the upperclassmen. Terrible trend.

in some places i bet its more than 20% and if its not drugs its excessive alcohol use there is a very small percentage of people that havent used drugs or alcohol more than just a few times

Greenville High School (East TN) does drug testing and there are some schools in Chattanooga that do it as well. I hear from a drug testing agency in Chatt. that they travel up and test Kingsport schools as well. BUt all in all, drug testing should be administered for athletes. Just think, some schools in Texas test extra-curricular activities like band and dance as well!