Knox West's Wins Because.....

ruse?

Scott Cummings takes calculated risks that benefit his "family." The guy can coach, has built a nice program, and certainly has some fine talent to work with this year in Ryan, Easterly, Wagner, Ayers, Coley, Whaley, Kolinski, amongst some others. That will help them to be sure; however, West will win this year because Coach Cummings supports this extended family that is the Rebels.

Coach Cummings had a player a few years ago by the name of Justin Jackson, nice athlete, under the radar, good student who wound up going to Maryville College which is no "lay-up" from an admissions standpoint. Justin transfers to UT, does well this spring, and is on the "practice" roster. Kid from Mechanicsville is on his way. Not so fast. Justin gets charged with possession with intent (crack) around June 27/28.

Statement from UT/Fulmer is "by being near this behavior, Justin has embarrassed himself and his team....the legal and university process will be followed, but Justin is no longer a member of our team." "Ready.. fire...oh, oh yeah, uh..aim." Things ain't always what they seem, and IMO it will be interesting to see the investigation unfold.

A couple of weekends ago, Coach Cummings wrote an outstanding letter to the Knoxville News Sentinel, and to their credit, it was published. I'm sure it can be searched on knoxnews.com for those that might want to read it. I would do it no justice by paraphrasing.

Cummings went to bat for a good young man (no angel, but defied big odds), while it would seem, that others rushed to judgement. Hopefully our legal system will not be so rushed. It would be difficult to expect that the players on this yrs. team would not go a little harder knowing that their coach not only would, but has done the same for one of them. Good luck Coach.

I have always liked Cummings, but this puts him over the edge. Not only is he a great coach, but a great man. Good luck to the Knox West Rebels this year. Good luck Justin.

Leonard.

I read "over the edge" and thought "what the he.." Anyway, you are right. He is a thoughtful guy that would not have written that letter without KNOWING some of the facts, consulting with his staff, and ensuring that the right people were all on board with it. Justin will be a success. Tough kid, a leader.

ruse?

Leonard.

I read "over the edge" and thought "what the he.." Anyway, you are right. He is a thoughtful guy that would not have written that letter without KNOWING some of the facts, consulting with his staff, and ensuring that the right people were all on board with it. Justin will be a success. Tough kid, a leader.

ruse?

Justin go back to Maryville College. Yeah, it is not D1 football in the SEC but you will get a great education. You will also impact this program greatly. Good luck to a good kid.