Congratulations Tennessee Teams

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the Tennessee Flight is using the Memphis Flight and Trotters Flight as feeder programs? I thought the Memphis Flight and Team Memphis Elite were to seperate clubs. I was told the Memphis Glory and Memphis Elite joined together to form a club called Team Memphis Elite, so how does the Tennessee Flight program fit into all of this? How can one organization be spread across the whole state with their individual clubs? And now I've read there is a Memphis Elite/Flight program?

So the Tennessee Flight is using the Memphis Flight and Trotters Flight as feeder programs? I thought the Memphis Flight and Team Memphis Elite were to seperate clubs. I was told the Memphis Glory and Memphis Elite joined together to form a club called Team Memphis Elite, so how does the Tennessee Flight program fit into all of this? How can one organization be spread across the whole state with their individual clubs? And now I've read there is a Memphis Elite/Flight program?

Let me try to clear up the confusion. The Memphis Elite and the Memphis Glory merged to form Team Memphis Elite and fielded 16 teams this past year. Some of those teams played under the name Memphis Flight, primarily older teams that were playing in exposure events. I shortened the name to Elite/Flight for my post. We are a separate organization with a separate club number from Tn Flight, but we work together with them on certain teams. The same is true of the Lady Trotters team you reference. TN Flight is one of only 20 organizations in the country to be sponsored by Nike which gives them preferred access to some of the higher tier Nike exposure events in the country, as well as exclusive events like the Nike Skills Camp and Nike Nationals. We along with others work with them to form the older age group teams which will represent the Flight organization at Nike events. The results of these moves has been tremendous, with several high finishes in AAU Nationals and the Nike exposure events, and we expect next year to be even better. It is truly a win-win situation for all of us.

Robpride, my criteria for better is better teams that represent Tennessee in the various events across the country, giving our girls the maximum college exposure to enhance their scholarship opportunities. Like it or not, the Flight has built a reputation for high quality teams, and the college scouts follow their teams at these events because they know they are going to see talented kids. At the younger age groups it is making sure the girls get the instruction and support to develop their talents. We're doing this at all levels, from the Nike teams to Div 2 AAU teams so no one is left behind. In this case I believe bigger is better in that we are all working together to put the best product we can out there and help as many girls as possible. If it's not for you or your girls so be it, but I see no reason to consistently criticize something that benefits so many. The better shouldn't be taken personally, as I'm not saying it's better than what you or others are doing. Inevitably those results will be measured on the court. but even then I'm not saying we are better than anyone else, only trying to be the best we can be. But, I can tell you the amount of girls who are receiving scholarship offers out of this program is increasing rapidly, as you will see as they announce their intentions over the coming months. And the girls in our area are becoming more complete basketball players, and not just relying on their athleticism. I think you would agree these are positive things for girls basketball in Tennessee......

I hope that it was robpride that removed his post on this subject. At this point nearly all of the posts on this board AND the boy's board read like a marketing campaign for the big, state-wide (with out of state players aded to the mix) programs. Most of what is seen is the promotion of these programs and those who run them instead of the girls/boys themselves (you often see one or two "coaches" in every age group's team picture- in tournaments they won!). We often see lists of players who have signed scholarship papers and are told that is is because of playing for a certain team or organization. Many times that is the first year the player has played for that team and the player had already generated interest beforehand. It's interesting to watch all of this develop from the outside looking in. It's kind of sad to see players that at age 14 have already played on as many as 5 different AAU teams.

I hope that it was robpride that removed his post on this subject. At this point nearly all of the posts on this board AND the boy's board read like a marketing campaign for the big, state-wide (with out of state players aded to the mix) programs. Most of what is seen is the promotion of these programs and those who run them instead of the girls/boys themselves (you often see one or two "coaches" in every age group's team picture- in tournaments they won!). We often see lists of players who have signed scholarship papers and are told that is is because of playing for a certain team or organization. Many times that is the first year the player has played for that team and the player had already generated interest beforehand. It's interesting to watch all of this develop from the outside looking in. It's kind of sad to see players that at age 14 have already played on as many as 5 different AAU teams.

Those are great points, and I want to clarify that is not my intention to discredit any other organization, large or small. All of the people involved in girls basketball who volunteer their time and efforts are to be commended. In all facets of life there are small organizations and large ones, and people should choose the one that is right for their needs. And they should do so without any of us telling them they are wrong or right because of the choice. There's nothing wrong with a little bit of marketing, and even a little bit of good natured ribbing over who did better. But as you say, it's the girls who deserve the credit for what they accomplished....

Why would one organization use another organizations name if they are not the same or part of each other?

I guess next there will be the Tennesse Team Pride Lady Tigers Shox.

Or better yet the Los Angeles Lakers/Celtics.

wheew..... its because that it is, the individual team that is, under the flight and not the whole organization.

for instance, the lady trotters have 9u, 10u, 11u, 12u, 13u, 14u, 15u and 16u but the only team with the flight out of this org. is the 13u.

wheew..... its because that it is, the individual team that is, under the flight and not the whole organization.

for instance, the lady trotters have 9u, 10u, 11u, 12u, 13u, 14u, 15u and 16u but the only team with the flight out of this org. is the 13u.

Thanks for input. I think we all understand now.