Here a rule idea for the TSSAA

Gerry Bertier

Thank you someone with some sense. Practice early in the morning or under the lights at night. There is no need for a 3 o'clock practice when school is in or out of session.

Most coach's with sense will make allowances for heat and I know Blade was practicing at night. But people should relize you have to practice.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you someone with some sense. Practice early in the morning or under the lights at night. There is no need for a 3 o'clock practice when school is in or out of session.

Union City is going to Trenton on Friday and it was reported in our paper that the coach at Union City asked the coach at Peabody to change the scrimmage from 3:30pm until Saturday morning.....Union City students had a conflict to play the game later Friday,say 6 or 7 and Trenton wouldn't move the scrimmage to Sat morning..Maybe they had a conflict on Sat morning...It'll be brutal Friday afternoon...

Changing the practice times to anything but pre-dawn will have little effect on heat issues. Week 0 and week 1 games are usually very hot and played under the sun for at least the first half. Personally, I believe that many of the problems associated with the heat are due to kids who live under the AC all summer. The human body can acclimate to all kinds of climates, but it doesn't like sudden changes. Don't believe me? Just wait until the temperatures drop down to the low 90's next week and we will all breathe a sigh of relief due to the "cool" temperatures.

With the hot weather this week, I was thinking since the TSSAA loves to pass rules why not pass one that limits teams when they can practice when it reaches certain temperatures outside. I hope coaches would be smart this week to have their kids come early or go under the lights but I have a feeling some coaches won't. This rule would help protect the players. Anyone else think this is a good idea?

It's up to the local school people in charge. I believe Davidson Co.(Nashville-Metro) , Wilson Co, and Rutherford Co . suspended all outdoor school activities. Band. Football, and others.

No T$$AA rule is needed. The local people in charge have the liability.

It's up to the local school people in charge. I believe Davidson Co.(Nashville-Metro) , Wilson Co, and Rutherford Co . suspended all outdoor school activities. Band. Football, and others.

No T$$AA rule is needed. The local people in charge have the liability.

Next weeks highs are just like this week. Does this mean that practice will be suspended next week too? If so there will be some upset coaches...

Next weeks highs are just like this week. Does this mean that practice will be suspended next week too? If so there will be some upset coaches...

As opposed to...........what? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I think you just have to be smart about the heat index and take the necessary precautions.

As opposed to...........what? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I think you just have to be smart about the heat index and take the necessary precautions.

well, the precedent has been set.. Metro cancelled practices this week with heat index over 100, and next week is going to be just as hot. Would be hipocritical (sp) if they don't cancel practice next week

If the heat index is over 100, I think that would be the smart thing to do.

We close school with a 1/4" of snow on the roads or if the AC doesn't work or for tornado warnings. My guess is that we've lost more students to heat illnesses in the last 20 years than all the other things we close school for put together.

If the heat index is over 100, I think that would be the smart thing to do.

We close school with a 1/4" of snow on the roads or if the AC doesn't work or for tornado warnings. My guess is that we've lost more students to heat illnesses in the last 20 years than all the other things we close school for put together.

KSGOVOLS. I agree this heat is nothing to play with. I just think if the proper precautions are taken you can limit the amount of heat illnesses. I have been at a school for four years and the worst thing we have had are kids reversing their breakfast in the last 30 minutes of practice. If the kids are taught the proper way to eat and drink the weeks leading up to two-a-day practices then this will eliminate a lot of the problem. The MAIN key here is acclimization to the heat. Which means DO NOT sit inside in the AC all summer long. Coaches have designed summer workouts for a reason. If kids show up in shape for two-a-days then their heart will be able to take the stress of this heat. Same thing goes for the coaches. They need to keep themselves in shape because most coaches are in their 40's-50's and they are yelling, screaming, running and this too puts stress on the heart. just my .02

My bet is despite education that most high school students do not properly hydrate prior to the activity and there's a certain percentage of kids that didn't or won't do the proper things in the acclimation period no matter how much the coach stays on them.

I think that the football coach is typically the wrong person to make the determination of whether to practice or not when the heat index is over 100 3 weeks before the season starts. I also think there's still a stigma among some coaches, players and fans attached to hydration and heat illnesses.

It's my opinion that the safest thing to do that has the least amount of liability attached to it is to not participate in outdoor activities when the heat index is above a certain point.