High School Fall Leagues in Middle & East TN

TheEdge26

Here's another positive spin on TSSAA new 50% rule: In the years before the 50% rule small schools were excluded from HS fall basketball leagues because they did not have enough players to fill a roster.

Many private school, A and AA athletes play multiple sports so they could only get 3 to 5 players to commit per school. Now the playing field has been leveled out. All schools both big and small can send players in groups of 3 or less to be mixed and matched with players from other schools.

The small school players will have the same opportunity as the big school players.

The two Fall Lgs that I am aware of are located in Knoxville at Karns High and in Middle Tn at Hooptown.

Not sure how to find out info about Karn's but here's Hooptown's website. www.Hooptown.net

You missed the point. Some A and AA schools were fielding AAU teams , may be giving them an advantage. I can't say. That was the perception.

Thanks Jimbo. But I thought schools could still field AAU teams as long as they are not playing while school is in session. I could be wrong. Either way, I think the HS fall leagues are a great opportunity for these kids.

Thanks Jimbo. But I thought schools could still field AAU teams as long as they are not playing while school is in session. I could be wrong. Either way, I think the HS fall leagues are a great opportunity for these kids.

Head coaches can't coach their own players after the end of that sport season until the end of the school term.

A way around that ,is if the girls coach instructs the boys squad , and the boys coach instructs the girls squad.

The 50% rule keeps that from being effective as a squad builder.

I agree with you, any gym time is time well spent. Fall leagues are part of that.

Head coaches can't coach their own players after the end of that sport season until the end of the school term.

A way around that ,is if the girls coach instructs the boys squad , and the boys coach instructs the girls squad.

I agree with you, any gym time is time well spent. Fall leagues are part of that.

OK, ok,, here is the way I feel!!!!! If a coach is going to cheat,, what makes the TSSAA think this 50% rule is going to help stop him? If a coach is cheating he is going around the rules and will still do it. Nothing will change but to the ones that are truly going by the rules.

OK, ok,, here is the way I feel!!!!! If a coach is going to cheat,, what makes the TSSAA think this 50% rule is going to help stop him? If a coach is cheating he is going around the rules and will still do it. Nothing will change but to the ones that are truly going by the rules.

Other states allow year round coaching/playing. That gives them an edge in AAU/High School in that particular sport. Other sports suffer, because the best athletes tend to specialize in a single area, in that situation.

I believe the T$$AA has realized there more scholarships available to students athletes in sports other than what you see in primetime.

There is Golf, Tennis,Volleyball,Cross country,Track and field, and many other sports where scholarships are available.

• 4 weeks later...

You make a great point coach.. A cheater is always going to be a cheater. the 50% RULE WILL NOT STOP IT.

Are you certain that this just applies to the HEAD coach in a sport and NOT the assistant(s)? I have always been under the impression that anyone on the coaching staff of that particular sport could not coach, say for example, a fall league team???

Anyone know for sure?

I went to the TSSAA website to check, but could find nothing relating to this.

??? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Other states allow year round coaching/playing. That gives them an edge in AAU/High School in that particular sport. Other sports suffer, because the best athletes tend to specialize in a single area, in that situation.

I believe the T$$AA has realized there more scholarships available to students athletes in sports other than what you see in primetime.

There is Golf, Tennis,Volleyball,Cross country,Track and field, and many other sports where scholarships are available.

while i agree with you that there is scholarship money in those sport basketball and football are about the only 2 kids can get a full ride in unless you are a david price or a tiger woods I DONT THINK TIGER EVEN GOT A FULL RIDE so yes there is scholarship money there its not near as much as you think

while i agree with you that there is scholarship money in those sport basketball and football are about the only 2 kids can get a full ride in unless you are a david price or a tiger woods I DONT THINK TIGER EVEN GOT A FULL RIDE so yes there is scholarship money there its not near as much as you think

That is true. It depends on the sport...and on the school. Some give more than others. Most sports have scholarship limits. In DI softball...every school has 12 scholarships. They can be 12 full or any combination to add up to 12. Some NAIA schools give a lot of money...some don't.