maplewood @ pearl

I read today's Tennessean and saw where Jeff Lockridge, Tom Kreager, & Co. predicted a 28-26 win for the Maplewood Panthers.

I looked at the poll results from this week's "Big Ones" contest and have discovered that nearly 70% of the CoachT Nation has picked a win for the Pearl Cohn Firebirds.

HERE IS HOW I SEE THIS ONE IN A NUTSHELL

PREVIOUS MEETINGS: The last time Pearl Cohn defeated Maplewood on the gridiron was some time ago. The record books will say that Pearl defeated Maplewood 1-0 due to a forfeit win in 2004 HOWEVER on the field it was a shutout in the opposite direction. Maplewood won that game 12-0 behind a dominating defense that rattled then freshman quarterback Deaunte Mason. In 2005 the game was a classic. Maplewood scored 14 points behind an offense that was led on the night by then freshman running back Markus Cantrell. Defensively the Panthers got the better of Mason again by picking him off twice (one of those INTs went the other way for six). Pearl Cohn lost the game 14-12 though they could have easily won. Then senior RB Bobby Council appeared to be heading into the endzone for a "would be" go-ahead TD however in the process he simply dropped the ball (LITERALLY). The Panthers defense made the most of their second chance and stopped the Firebirds inside the ten yard line to preserve the win. In 2006 the game was as lopsided as it's ever been. Maplewood won 43-7 behind the playmaking of Chris Simpson & Terrence Holt on offense and a dominating defense that shut down Mason & the two UNC receivers (Rashad Mason & Brian Gupton).

PREVIEW: 2007 is now and that means those three games are not a factor at all. Deaunte Mason is a senior, FINALLY, and the Panthers have without question owned him throughout the previous three meetings he's had with them. Maplewood is now a defense without linebackers Sadaris Jones & Thomas Majors HOWEVER THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY ARE "DOWN". If you don't believe me just ask Trezevant (Class 3A Playoff Team). Mason has a new core of receivers to throw the football to this year highlighted by Will Johnson who looked good last week in their win over Memphis East (Class 4A Playoff Team). Deaveon Gregory is back at RB for PC fresh off of a huge season late last year and he got his year off to a good start rushing for 110 yards on 19 carries. Markus Cantrell is now a junior and looked good in his first start at RB rushing for 190 yards on just 19 carries. Chris Simpson is still at QB this year for Maplewood and he also has the makings of changing this football game just as he did throughout the contest last year.

PREDICTION: I know that the Tennessean does not agree with me and I know that boski (Maplewood's #1 Fan on this website) does not agree with me either. I see this game being more of a defensive battle than an offensive shootout. There are great athletes on both sides of the field for both teams but in the end those athletes are also on the defensive side of the football. Both teams will key heavily on stopping the other teams quarterbacks. This means that both Mason & Simpson may find huge yards in the passing game tough to come by. I believe that the winner in this one will have to be the team that can limit turnovers and RUN THE FOOTBALL!!!! Gregory is a 1,000 yard back who has really excelled since being thrusted into the starting lineup in week six last season. Maplewood will get their first "real look" at him on the field tomorrow night. Cantrell really gashed the Firebirds two years ago in the Maplewood win. People will say that he was relatively unknown then playing behind Holt and thus caught PC by suprise. Cantrell may be one of the best backs in the entire midstate (just unknown right now). 1 OF THOSE 2 GUYS WILL BE A STAR AFTER TOMORROW NIGHT!!!! The winner has to again LIMIT TURNOVERS & RUN THE FOOTBALL!!!!

I SEE SOMETHING ALONG THE LINES OF A 20-14 GAME & I JUST CAN'T CALL A WINNER BECAUSE THESE ARE TWO TEAMS THAT APPEAR TO BE VERY EVENLY MATCHED!!!!!

thank you sir! i am a fan and i will be there!!!

you already know im going with maplewood, i cant see this one any other way, remember pearl cohn made it the Class 3A semifinals last season and that says alot about them ..and maplewood flat out crushed them last seaosn maplewood may not have majors or jones but the defense is still a monster!! a defense playing together is far better than a few solo acts ..dont get me wrong those two guys could change a game ..but a defense playing together can control a game ..and thats how they are playing right now together ..and the offense is just as potent as ever, i dont see this being all that close, look for maplewood to pull away in this one in the second half, thats my call. Maplewood 35 - Pearl Cohn 20

hears wat i say. maplewood did lose a big house of guys last year. but the young men thats out there are just as good and probably in better shape as the seniors who graduated last year. maplewood dont have singled out players this year, they have a team! a well organized team that picks up where another team mate is slacking. thats how its supposed to be. GOOD JOB coach T, Long, Woods, Armstrong, Left and Black.

Maplewood 35 P.C. 7

P.S. use those recivers, we all know simpson can put it where it needs to be.

Maplewood records its first shutout of the season 20 - 0 over the firebirds.

Good Game fellows!!! ..the D is a monster ..they were on the ball and thats how its done!!

I wish PC the best of luck for the rest of the season you guys have a pretty good team keep it up.

Simpson he is the real deal.

Cantrell good job!

Mason 1 - 3 vs the Panthers!

Boski out!!

Maplewood records its first shutout of the season 20 - 0 over the firebirds.

Good Game fellows!!! ..the D is a monster ..they were on the ball and thats how its done!!

I wish PC the best of luck for the rest of the season you guys have a pretty good team keep it up.

Simpson he is the real deal.

Cantrell good job!

Mason 1 - 3 vs the Panthers!

Boski out!!

I told you that it would be more of a defensive game in which 20 points would decide the winner from the loser

In all seriousness Maplewood is a defensive football team that made 1 HUGE PLAY IN THE PASSING GAME and did a very effective job of taking the little chunks of yardage on the ground that Pearl Cohn's defense was giving them. I thought that PC played well defensively they just wore down last because THE OFFENSE WAS VIRTUALLY HELD TO NOTHING ALL NIGHT by a very very strong Maplewood defense.

Deaunte Mason was running for his life back there and once the Panthers extended the lead to 14-0 early in the second half they put A TON OF PRESSURE ON #15 FOR THE FIREBIRDS!!!!

Both of these teams should go on to enjoy a great deal of success. PC will grow from this loss and be a major factor in Class 3A once again when all is said and done. Maplewood is a team that if they stay focused and play defense like they have in their first two games they'll be tough to beat for anyone. The Panthers have a bye week before playing Hunters Lane, Hillsboro, & Ooltewah in a 3-WEEK PERIOD OF TIME from weeks three through five. GOOD LUCK!!!!

I told you that it would be more of a defensive game in which 20 points would decide the winner from the loser

In all seriousness Maplewood is a defensive football team that made 1 HUGE PLAY IN THE PASSING GAME and did a very effective job of taking the little chunks of yardage on the ground that Pearl Cohn's defense was giving them. I thought that PC played well defensively they just wore down last because THE OFFENSE WAS VIRTUALLY HELD TO NOTHING ALL NIGHT by a very very strong Maplewood defense.

Deaunte Mason was running for his life back there and once the Panthers extended the lead to 14-0 early in the second half they put A TON OF PRESSURE ON #15 FOR THE FIREBIRDS!!!!

Both of these teams should go on to enjoy a great deal of success. PC will grow from this loss and be a major factor in Class 3A once again when all is said and done. Maplewood is a team that if they stay focused and play defense like they have in their first two games they'll be tough to beat for anyone. The Panthers have a bye week before playing Hunters Lane, Hillsboro, & Ooltewah in a 3-WEEK PERIOD OF TIME from weeks three through five. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Yeah Big Country ..these next 3 games will be very tough, all strong teams .. but if they play like they have been I they can some those games ..thats right .. and this is a much needed bye week a few injuries to mend to but ..im sure maplewood will be ready ..

one more thing

""Big Ones" contest and have discovered that nearly 70% of the CoachT Nation has picked a win for the Pearl Cohn Firebirds." LOLOL!!!