Confussed on call by officials at college game (got video of play)

ATWSPORTSCAST

While video streaming the Sewanee vs Westminster game Saturday a quirly play came up where the officials weren't sure if a pass was intercepted of incomplete. By the video it appears to be intercepted.

If they weren't sure if the pass was intercepted or not , shouldn't the call been ruled as incomplete and loss of down?

The ruling was that the play didn't take place.

What should have been the call?

The link to the video is:

http://www.atwsportscast.com//Colleges/Vid...nterception.wmv

Thanks

Dean

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While video streaming the Sewanee vs Westminster game Saturday a quirly play came up where the officials weren't sure if a pass was intercepted of incomplete. By the video it appears to be intercepted.

If they weren't sure if the pass was intercepted or not , shouldn't the call been ruled as incomplete and loss of down?

Thanks

Dean

This is a Friday rules board. There are great differences between the rules for Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.

Nice try.

I agree this is a Friday rules and game board. From watching the tape, it looks like to me that the ball hit the players foot or leg and then was tipped by another player and then caught by a defensive player. Should have been ruled an interception unless there is an NCAA rule stating that it should be played over. Hmmm

I'm seeing an incomplete pass here. The ball appears to bounce backwards from the turf. In my opinion it ought to be incomplete as far as the play goes.

As far as rules go, it appears from what my old NCAA rule book says that in Section 2 Article 7 e

"When in question, the catch, recovery or interception is not completed."

That would make me think it should just be ruled incomplete.

I'm seeing an incomplete pass here. The ball appears to bounce backwards from the turf. In my opinion it ought to be incomplete as far as the play goes.As far as rules go, it appears from what my old NCAA rule book says that in Section 2 Article 7 e "When in question, the catch, recovery or interception is not completed."That would make me think it should just be ruled incomplete.

it dont matter which way it goes after the qb throws it down field!!!!!!!! it was a interception with out a question, it hit a couple of people and he caught the ball no question about it whether its friday saturday sunday or the backyard on a monday!!!!!!!!!

I'm seeing an incomplete pass here. The ball appears to bounce backwards from the turf. In my opinion it ought to be incomplete as far as the play goes.As far as rules go, it appears from what my old NCAA rule book says that in Section 2 Article 7 e "When in question, the catch, recovery or interception is not completed."That would make me think it should just be ruled incomplete.

what about the infamous Franco Harris catch with the Steelers?

Thanks

Dean

I think what we have here is an "inadvertent whistle." An official's whistle was blown before the defender caught the ball. While the whistle shouldn't have been blown, an official's whistle always kills the ball (usually, the ball is already dead when the whistle is blown). There are a number of rules as to putting the ball into play following such an instance. Here, since the ball was loose during a forward pass, a do-over. Same rule on both Friday and Saturday.

I think what we have here is an "inadvertent whistle." An official's whistle was blown before the defender caught the ball. While the whistle shouldn't have been blown, an officials whistle always kills the ball (usually, the ball is already dead when the whistle is blown). There are a number of rules as to putting the ball into play following such an instance. Here, since the ball was loose during a forward pass, a do-over. Same rule on both Friday and Saturday.

Ah, ok. Yes, if there was an inadvertent whistle, then the play is a do-over. The sound is jacked up on my computer so I wouldn't be able to hear that on the link if that were possible.

The sound is jacked up on my computer so I wouldn't be able to hear that on the link if that were possible.

Couldn't hear it real well on my computer, either, but it did seem a little quick. And we don't know how far the microphone is from the field, either. Sound carries slower than light.

Thanks

Dean

I thought they missed the call at the end of the Fla st. game last night and should have gave Fla. st a catch and out of bounds with a second or two left, and I'm not an FSU fan. It happens sometimes, as Forrest says