Kingston @ Rockwood

wpasi

ROCKWOOD FANS GET USED TO IT!

Rockwood will never be better than a middle of the road team with Webb at the helm. 44 up the middle on the first play is automatic! Quit your belly aching! You know thats how it is going to be! Why Webb thinks running up the middle on the first play of the game is going to surprise anyone is beyond me. But thats how its going to be. Accept it and shut up! Rockwood fans need to get used to inferior Kingston teams dominating you year in and year out because of these reasons:

1) This is the poorest coached team in the state. They have a player that has played line all his life trying to play wingback (and doing an ok job). BUT, their line is the worst in the state and he could make it 100% better. Instead, they have a bunch of smaller weaklings that cant block their grandmothers allowing defensive players a free pass right into the backfield! In all my years of playing and watching football I have never seen a team that had bigger running backs than lineman. But Webb and his brain trust have decided that putting lineman at running back and running backs in the line is the way to go. (I wonder if Maryville and Alcoa do it that way?) Last year they took a 3 yr starter at tight end (who was among the best around) and moved him to wingback making them the only team in the state with a 6'4 wingback! No one has a clue why to this day.

2) Blocking and tackling is a joke. The line cant block for the running game or the passing game. But maybe even worse than their blocking is the tackling. Sweetwater ran thru them the entire second half and Kingston ran thru them the entire game. Just one missed tackle after another! Football is not rocket science. Execute the basics and the game gets much simpler to play. I'm not sure they know the basics.

3) Rockwood's old school philosophy of 3 yards and a cloud of dust went out back in the 70's but obviously he and his staff havent figured that out yet. They think that running 44 up the middle is a miracle play that no one knows about or expects! Imagine how shocked they must be when it repeatedly got stuffed last night!

4) These coaches have no idea how to coach the passing game. They can't teach lineman how to pass protect or receivers how to run routes. Their pass plays are a joke. Anyone that knows football knows that a bootleg pass is the most difficult pass to make, yet 90% of Rockwoods passes are bootlegs with the qb running to the sideline and 2 or 3 receivers running to the sideline with him. They all bunch up in a small space together with all the defensive players that are guarding them and then try to throw the ball to one of them! And why do they roll a left handed qb to the right and make him throw against his body? Isnt it difficult enough to pass while rolling out on the run with unblocked rushers and blitzers coming thru untouched? (AH, the wonders of the tiger offense!!! )

5) Their lack of knowledge of the passing game affects the defense as well. Since the coaches cant teach the passing game, they cant figure out how to defend it either. Teams that spread the ball out and pass move at ease against this team. They dont know how to stop a passing attack. Wait till CAK and any other passing team comes to town. Last year Harriman spread them out and rolled all over them (thank goodness Harrimans defense was so bad that they couldnt stop the tigers or Harriman would have won the game). Rockwood will never stop a spread attack or anybody that passes. Kingston, which is anything but a passing team, caught them last night with a huge reception on a 2nd and 15 when for some reason Rockwood didnt seem to be thinking that a pass might be called. I guess they thought 44 up the middle might be a more likely call in that situation! (Unfortunately, the jackets didnt have a 44 in the backfield to give it to.)

6) And one cant miss Webbs class when it comes to discipling a player that has made a mistake. Numerous times he was in the face of players embarassing them in front of their teammates, fans, opponents, and visiting fans. In fact he has done it all year! Nothing like having your coach running out on the field pointing his finger in your face and yelling at you at the top of his lungs all the way to the sideline to make you play better. The players know they screwed up and having your coach calling attention to it in front of several thousand people really helps. NOT!! At least 3, maybe 4 times last night he did that and has done it all year. There is difference between correcting mistakes and embarassing a player! What a great motivator! If a coach can't keep his cool under pressure and in tight situations how can he expect a teenager to that is playing in the heat of battle and runs a wrong route or lines up wrong or whatever? What kind of example is he setting for these young men? Al McGuire, the great basketball coach. once remarked "players are an extension of the coaches personality, which means in my case, my teams must have been obnoxious". If the coach cant keep his cool under fire, then why should he expect the players to?

These are not new things. They have gone on for years. Tiger fans should stop their whining in the stands and on these boards. You get what you ask for. The rest of the region and Kingston fans as well, thank you for allowing them to win each year by giving them W's where normally they should have gone home with L's.

Man 3 and 1 and you want to fire the coach!!!! Last nights game was a good one that could have gone either way congrads to the Jackets and hold your head up Tigers now the region games starts for both teams and they are the ones that count.

By the way sportsnut when You have a power running game the thing to do is play power football now stop crying.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wpasi, i am not a rockwood fan, just someone that watches local football and have seen several rockwood games. Because in my humble opinion they have had the best matchups so far on the schedule. Rockwood/Sweetwater was the best matchup last week on the roane county schedule. Rockwood/Midway was a better matchup than Kingston/Harriman the week before that and Rockwood/Onieda was the only game in town week zero. I am not calling for their coaches job....it would be ridiculous for non-fans to want some other school's coach fired...especially one that is helping other county schools get wins! I am only pointing out what I have observed in the games I have seen. That tiger team is loaded with seniors that can play but the coaching stuff is not getting it out of them. That was my whole point in my post...players playing out of position, lack of fundamental blocking and tackling, terrible play calling, lack of knowledge of the passing game (both offense and defense), coach berating his players when they make mistakes (even though his play calling, lineups, schemes, etc are mistakes). 3 and 1 is a good record but it should be 4-0 and the really big games have not been played yet (Alcoa, CAK, Loudon). I am only saying that this team is not being utilized to its full potential and that lies squarely on the coaches shoulders. I have seen this go on for years at Rockwood, so you Tiger fans should get used to it!

I think this game came down to mistakes Rockwoods qb made some big time passes and on other plays looked like a first year starter not a 3 year. I did not see coach Webb or coach King fumble or throw a int. Sometimes it not aways about the game plan it's about who wants it more and last night I'd say Kingston wanted it more. Good luck to both teams I hope they both win out.

I think this game came down to mistakes Rockwoods qb made some big time passes and on other plays looked like a first year starter not a 3 year. I did not see coach Webb or coach King fumble or throw a int. Sometimes it not aways about the game plan it's about who wants it more and last night I'd say Kingston wanted it more. Good luck to both teams I hope they both win out.

I have to say something here... No Kingston did not want it more!!!! and Stop putting the blame on the kids... from what I did over hear last night the Rockwood faithful is getting sick and tired of it... if they're not getting it done, than do something and if you don't think they (players) don't want it, find players that do...

wpasi, have you ever been a football coach? You better check out the other teams and watch their coaches when a player makes a mistake. They sure ain't waiting on the sidelines to give them a big hug!!! I didn't mean to put #44 down when I complained about the first play of every game was a run up the middle. He is a fine young man and one of the best ballplayers to ever wear a Rockwood Tigers uniform. I believe this team has a great year ahead of them if they keep on playing the way they have been playing(minus the mistakes like they had last night) This team has shown they ain't a 1 man team,they play team ball and that is wh

Sorry, hit a wrong button!!!!!!!!!! Keep your head up and keep playing hard. You have at least 7 outstanding players on this team to help to go a long way. Webb please do something about the classless acts of your quaterback. I don't care if the whole Kingston side was chanting obscenties you don't act like the do. HAVE MORE PRIDE IN YOURSELF ,YOURTEAM MATES, COACHES AND YOURSCHOOL!!!! PLEASE REPRESENT ALL THE PEOPLE OF ROCKWOOD WITH PRIDE AND CLASS!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Sorry, hit a wrong button!!!!!!!!!! Keep your head up and keep playing hard. You have at least 7 outstanding players on this team to help to go a long way. Webb please do something about the classless acts of your quaterback. I don't care if the whole Kingston side was chanting obscenties you don't act like the do. HAVE MORE PRIDE IN YOURSELF ,YOURTEAM MATES, COACHES AND YOURSCHOOL!!!! PLEASE REPRESENT ALL THE PEOPLE OF ROCKWOOD WITH PRIDE AND CLASS!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

LOL, you sound like a real fan calling your own players classless. Is it taking pride in your TEAM MATES, COACHES AND YOUR SCHOOL when you call one of your players classless? You rockwood people are hilarious! No wonder you cant beat Kingston! At least they support their TEAM MATES, COACHES AND SCHOOL. LOL. And btw, I would love to see your qb on our team. You dont know how good you have it.

I heard this same thing.. Lack of class from them too glad you reminded me of this took..

In all fairness, I must admit, I heard it too and was appalled. There were young children there and they were chanting away the obscenity. What is high school football coming to now? Whats next? HGH ? Steroids? Coreographed end zone dances? I hate to see some of the stuff we see in college and pro games starting to make its way into the high school game either on the field or in the stands.