Kingston @ Rockwood

wpasi

Lets look at this upcoming intra-county battle from a purely analytical perspective.

First, compare their schedules, Rockwood has beaten two of the best Single A teams in this area while Kingston beat a young and rebuilding single A Harriman team (after struggling early against them). Then the tigers went on the road to one of the toughest venues in the state and beat a heavily favored Sweetwater team (which had their eyes on making a run at Alcoa for the region championship). Kingston beat up a TERRIBLE Livingston team that couldnt beat any of Rockwoods first three opponents. The tigers are more battle tested at this point so you have to give the edge to the tigers in toughness of schedule coming in to this one.

Second, compare location. Rockwood is the home team which will give the tigers an obvious advantage. Playing a big game at home is always advantageous. The tigers are coming off back to back wins at Midway and Sweetwater which are both tough places to play. So coming home should be a shot in the arm for them. Since this is Kingstons first real test of the season and since its a road game, look for the jackets to struggle. So you have to give the advantage to Rockwood there as well.

Third, look at the teams themselves. Several Kingston players watched the Rockwood/Oneida game and saw the tigers play a conservative run only offense with nothing but basic plays mostly up the middle. If jacket players and fans havent seen a tiger game since then, they will get a rude awakening friday night. Coach Webb opened up the offense against Midway and Sweetwater. The spread formation with the quarterback in the shotgun is totally new for Rockwood. Kingston did not see it when they watched Rockwood/Oneida and in fact, have never played a Rockwood team that utilized it. Much is being said (as well should be) about Rockwoods power running game. And it is awesome (just ask the Sweetwater, Midway and Oneida players that had to wrestle Allen, Moriarity and Dyer all night). However, the new offense also features a potent pass attack that leads the county in passing. The tigers are averaging over 250 yards a game rushing and over 120 yards a game passing. They are no more that one dimensional team that opponents would put 9 or 10 men in the box against and try to stuff the run. If Kingston comes out looking for the old Rockwood offense this one could be out of reach by half time (just ask Midway...4 td PASSES in the first half)! Also Rockwood is not a shabby defensive team either. The mantra of all Rockwood's opponents so far has been that Rockwood has no speed......REALLY? Midway which is blessed with excellent speed found out that the tigers had more than enough speed to level them. Sweetwater boasted about their speed all the way to a 30-23 home loss! The tigers are not shabby on pass defense either. Breazeale has picked off 3 passes already including the one that ended Oneida's comeback attempt and one in the end zone stopping a Midway drive. Harvest intercepted a game winner that ended Sweetwaters comeback attempt on their last drive. Kingston has not been tested defensively to this point so its hard to say what they have on defense. Harriman and Livingston Academy are terrible offensive teams. Advantage Rockwood.

If Rockwood wins friday night it has to be considered an upset. Anytime a Triple A team plays a lower team you have to consider the AAA team to be the favorite. And I know from here and around the area, that Kingston fans are talking big and making a lot of boasts. But bigger is not always better! This current group of seniors for Rockwood witnesssed (and some participated) in Rockwoods win at Kingston 3 yrs ago. After losing the last 2 yrs, they are hungry to stop that trend in their last Rockwood/Kingston matchup. One thing that was not mentioned above is heart. This current group of tigers have more heart than any tiger team that i have seen in a long time. You cant put a measure on heart, but teams that have it find a way to win. Last week at sweetwater I saw a group of seniors will their way to victory after blowing a 16 point lead to a fast, talented sweetwater team that was playing at home.

My pick; Rockwood.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear OldCatFan: try spell-check. it should be a good game with rockwood coming out on top.

You get'em there Tookie! That's the way to rock and roll! Maybe you and Waggle can team up

this week on the Jackets! You might even be able to start a new cheer! Waggle has been hiding for a while! Where did he go? Give me a T-O-O-K-I-E! Gooooooo, Tookie!

IF rockwood comes out like they did last week, they could pull away early again. But they have 2 play better in the 2nd half, you cant go up by 14 and then let teams get right back in it. Cause if you keep doing that you will get beat.

I take rockwood by 6

Sure you give Rockwood the win. You and old Tarheel sound pretty good on here as long as you repeat what everyone else is saying. Can't you be original! Call Waaaaaagle, maybe he can help you with some of the stuff you're needin'. I don't think your stick is all that big myself, anyway! More like toothpick!

this is always a interesting game. rockwood running low on speed and kingston with more speed than ever.This game will be won up front with the big nastys in the trenches.rockwood will have to go to the passing game but with the defensive rush that their qb will be getting will prob force them to keep the ball on the ground.kingston should be able to power the ball all over the field and it will be a defensive game for both teams. if i were kingston i would look out for the clem kid, hes pretty stout . but on the other hand kingston has a 1 of a kind o and d line. these boys have been with each other since the beginning. not just the fact that they have been playin together but look at their size!!!!!! their huge one of the biggest , strongest, most physical lines to come through kingston. rockwood just cant match up on this one, i take kingston by20 jmo

What do you know about football at GCA? C'mon really! You just stick to going to chapel, and leave the football talk to the real deal!

You get'em there Tookie! That's the way to rock and roll! Maybe you and Waggle can team up

this week on the Jackets! You might even be able to start a new cheer! Waggle has been hiding for a while! Where did he go? Give me a T-O-O-K-I-E! Gooooooo, Tookie!

Wow you have got to be kiddin me.. you just earned the title of gayest coacht post ever.. how does it feel?

My three keys.

1) Kingston has fumbled 12 times in 2 games, losing 7. That will equal a loss this week.

2) Can Rockwood stay up a third week in a row after back-to-back emotional games?

3) Kingston's depth advantage. Against Harriman they pulled away late and they pulled away late against Rockwood last year. Does Rockwood have more depth than last year?