best lewis co. team ever

fbfan

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

u r right they have been some good football teams in the past but the 95 team was stacked some of the best players in lewis co. history (stats dont lie) qb,rb,wr records and probably the best defense

There is no doubt how good the 1995 team was but there is no way to put them heads and shoulders above 79-80 and 81. the talent level there was exceptional.

Wade Peery went on to play four years at MTSU. Ken Crowell played at Ut-Martin. Apple Webster might have been one of the alltime greats but tore an ACL in 1980 and still came back as an 1100 yard rusher in 81. Benny Pace still holds almost all the receiving records.

1979 team was 12-1. Most impressive regular season win was 34-0 over David Lipscomb. Playoff wins over Chapel Hill (Forrest) and Fairview. Lost in the semi-finals to Lake County 14-0. The excitement of this first undefeated season will not be duplicated until we play in Murfreesboro. An electricity that I have never seen before or again.

1980 team was 11-1, lost in the quarter finals to Goodpasture 14-12 in Madison. Very well rounded team. Almost impossible to run on. Gave up 553 yards rushing on 331 carries.

Now how about 1981? Defense... Started the season with 6 straight shutouts! Marshall County (then a 2-A school to our 1-A) scored in the fourth quarter in Lewisburg for the first points of the season in game 7. Two more shutouts followed before a 49-7 ending against Houston County. Scored 353 points in regular season wile giving up 13! Again lost to Goodpasture in the quarters 16-0. Crowell rushed for over 1700 yards, Webster for over 1100.

2001 team went 12-1 but a big season ending loss to McKenzie in the 3rd round of the playoffs would have to preclude them from consideration, in my opinion.

2002 team had a huge returning cast and the addition of Ellis Dailey at fullback. Went 9-1 in regular season and then easily won revenge over Riverside (the lone regular season loss) 22-0 in second round. Went to McKenzie and lost 16-13 in quarters. No offense to McKenzie but LC was way more talented. Dominated play until the final 90 seconds when McKenzie drove nealry 90 yards seemingly unimpeded. Great talent.

The 1995 team: Hard to argue their position but will let everyone decide. Were never seriously tested in regular season, blew thru a 10-0 season. beat Davidson Academy by 25 in round one and Huntingdon by 17 in round two. Lost to Goodpasture 17-14 in quarters. Strong at every position. Best balanced attack ever, no question. Rainey ran for 1204 yards, Donald Sparkman 906.. Wes Duncan threw for 1136 yards, 16 touchdowns and just 4 picks. Jeremy Conners caught 20 balls averaging 31 yards a catch and scored 10 touchdowns. I think they were the best offensive team.. period. But defensively, no where close to the 1979-81 teams. Defense gave up 2245 total yards, over 1100 rushing.

So in my most humble opinion, there are four teams that I feel had what it took to win it all. 1979, 1980, 1995 and 2002. Let's go further.

I rank the 2002 team's chances at #4. The team had problems defending the passing game. Outside of Dailey and Sharp, there was not much team speed at all. Defensive backs were smallish and if we had made it past Mckenzie, then Memphis Mitchell, it would been very difficult to have contained David Lipscomb's passing game in the finals.

I can argue the next three equally. The 1980 team was so very strong on defense. The 14-12 loss to Goodpasture is still burned into my mind. Thye scored on a controversial pass play to win it. They lost ot eventual state champ Lake County the next week 7-3. So obviously, these three teams were very, very close.

The 1979 team had incredible heart, momentum and never before seen fan support. They lost 14-0 to Lake County in the semis with several players suffering from an influenza outbreak in Hohenwald. With all things being equal, I think they were as good as Lake County, who lost the championship the next week 13-9 to Alcoa.

The 1995 team was just great. If you just look at the scores, Lewis County had Goodpasture on the ropes but came up a field goal short. Comparing the 17-14 los to the semis and finals shows a lot. Goodpasture beat Lipscomb the next week 24-0 and then Meigs County in the title game 30-13.

So there's the info and everyone can take your pick. Some great teams, so very close several times. Let's hope the 2007 team captures the same magic and takes it one step further.

Hey Donhaney, how about the 1986-87 group , you know donnie ellison,danny hinson, chris baker, jamie clifton tinker tenison, mike (ears) staggs,Mike hinson,Danny henderson and the rest of the crew. was that not one of the best ever?

Well.... they were memorable! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Without a doubt there always has and hopefull always will be great talent come and go through our town , as for the present day talent i think there is alot of desire to see this particular group of young men carry us farther than we have ever been... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />