Donovan McNabb's Comments on HBO

Everyone by now has read, or at least heard, about Eagle's QB Donovan McNabb's comments on HBO that aired this week. Everyone has an opinion, both black and white.

Despite the terrible timing of the interview (it was made in August and then broadcasted right after McNabb stunk up the joint in the Eagle's Monday Night Football loss to the Redskins to drop them to 0-2), the question I have is "why bring this up, and why now?"

I think it is very apparent that he felt betrayed by his own kind, it comes out in the following segment:

"I never said Peyton doesn't get criticized. I never said Carson doesn't get criticized. I never said Tom doesn't get criticized, because they do," McNabb said. "They talked about Peyton not winning the big game. They talked about Tom Brady and his baby and girlfriend. We get criticized a little differently."

Pressed for specific examples, McNabb pointed to being a running quarterback. In a blog posting Wednesday night, McNabb referred to criticism levied on him by the president of the Philadelphia branch of the NAACP in December 2005 for scrambling less as his career progressed.

Clearly, he can't scramble now- and doesn't want to be know as a scrambling QB. He also is having problems hitting his seldom- open receivers. He also is still upset that the Eagles drafted Kevin Kolb, rather than a stud wide receiver. The Eagles can be rightfully considered cheap by not holding onto veteran players, and have been criticized for not getting competent WR help. It seems that he is battling stereotypes within his own community, as well as perceived slights from those outside it.

I think all in all it is part of an exit strategy- one that he accelerated by his comments. At this point, unless he is holding the Lombardi Trophy in February, he is washed out in Philly.