Time Out - NFHS Rule

IMAZEBRA

If you saw the last play of the Auburn at Florida game - Auburn won on the last play of the game - a field goal.

Prior to the game winning field goad, Urdan Meyer called a time out fractions of a second prior to the snap. Auburn actually snapped the ball and made that field goal attempt too - but, that field goal was not the game winner - because the head coach (of FL) called time out. Auburn was forced to attempt another field goal. Prior to the snap, no time out was called (this time) - the field goal was good. Auburn won.

Here's my question / comment - In college game, there are more officials on the field. Some officials are positioned on the sidelines to help grant the head coach's request for a time out. However, on Friday nights, the high school officials should be positioned on the line (about 3yds wider than the widest player) or under the goal post on all field goal attempts. So, they / we may not noticed the coach's request. Yes, those of us who "know the game" will likely be expecting the head coach to call a time out to "ice the kicker". But, if the side official(s) direct their attention away from the play on the field, a false start or encroachment could easily be missed.

One easy way to get around this issue - have a player call the time out. In high school football, a player or the head coach can call a time out.

My point - if the head coach waits till "fractions of a second" prior to the snap to call a time out from the sideline - the request might go un-noticed. Don't get me wrong - we don't ever want to ignore any timeout request from a head coach - but, in reality, there will be lots of action happening on the field - and, no officials positioned on the sidelines near the team boxes & head coaches.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMAZEBRA,

I have a couple of questions for ya.

Why aren't there more officials? Do the officials have any kind of physical testing they must undergo to be a high school official? I never see fat officials working college or pro games.

Waiting for your reply. Thank you

To reply...

Jimbo44....that's my exact point - glad you got it - there are many differences when we compare: high school, college , and NFL rules. My point - I'd hate to see a requst for a "time out" from a coach missed as someone tried to emulate something watched during a college game.

LSMFT...to make a "general" statement...it appears that it is currently "not real cool" with the younger age group to be a football official. Most associations need new / younger officials. Most officials' associations across the State of Tennessee "begged" for new officials prior to this football season. I know I saw a few write-ups in some of the state's larger newspapers requesting new football officials. Years ago, a young, new official had to work lots / a season of middle school & JV games before ever working on the field on Friday nights. Because there are fewer officials, it's easier now. However, there is no $$$ to be made - no HS officials should work a season of games for the $$$. Most will spend much more than they'll make (gas / dues / uniform / Friday PM's away from family).

Most high schools will only pay for "certain number" of officials (on the field). While the officials' associations do recommend a number of officials (on the field), the school may actuially choose to have fewer. Some schools do.

I've been "wearing the stipes" for about 30 years. To brag (just a little) - I have worked: games in Neyland Stadium & the State Championships in Murfressbooro. I don't do it for the $$$ - I really enjoy the high school games. Like all professions, we could all be in better physical condition. I run some of the 5K's, 10K's, and half marathons to hopefully stay in physical condition to work football games - I am certain more officials (again - like all professions) should excercise more. But, like the football game (with its large linemen), there are positions for larger officials (umpire).

To answer your question - The college officials are required to meet certain fitness standards - they should.

A good rule to go by - as a high school official - remember - for the individuals coaching & playing the game you have been assigned to officiate, there is no bigger game being played that day.

IMAZEBRA,

I, for one, appreciate your honest and candid response. However, I have some additional questions, and I would again appreciate your response.

Do high school officials ever get / have the opportunity to view films of the games they have worked? There are some calls made during the game that are exactly right and on the money, BUT there are some that are absolutely horrible. Are officials held accountable for there calls? If I remember correctly, a few years ago (maybe 10 by now) some officials were dropped or demoted because of poor calls. Now granted this probably took place in the college scene but are high school officials ever judged on there performance and have they been banned from officiating because of poor performance?

Thank you again for your time...

LSMFT ...- no problem - you've asked some really good questions.

I can't speak for every football officials association in the State of TN, but we often review game tapes. Like football players (yes, I used to play the game too), officials can / should review film as a method to improve. I have actually reviewed some film with a head coach.

Officials are "graded" on and off the field. Most recognize the fact that there's more to being a good football official than "a good knowledge of the rules". Yes, a "written" test must be passed. In the past, an individual had to pass a written test before workin' a Friday night game. I believe that's still true.

Most (if not all) associations have supervisors. The supervisors: attend games, grade officials, and get direct feed-back from coaches. If a coach is un-satisfied with an official's performance, a supervisor will likely get a phone call. So, - to answer the question - officials are graded.

An official that does NOT perform well will likely not be workin' many football games.

Mr. Zebra -- Thanks for getting on this board, I appreciate your imput. Please tell me what you think of this idea. In this age of digital "filming" what if the home team each week burned an extra copy of the game film on a DVD for the officials. It could be presented to the referee post-game.

Then the white hat could get his crew together mid-week, maybe over pizza and a few colas in the privacy of his home to just watch the game. No one standing over your shoulder pointing out this call or that call, just the referee and his crew watching the action. Coaches and players watch hours of film for self-improvement and to study their upcoming opponents -- do you think the officials might welcome this opportunity for film study / self-analysis as well?

Eddie - I think you have a great idea.

A few years ago, I worked with a crew of officials that had a son (of one of the officials) tape all the games for us. Like you suggested, we later got together, reviewed the tape(s), and discussed ways to improve. I believe we actually had pizza too.

Like the players and coaches, the officials should take pride in their ability to work a "good" game. If that sounds arrogant - I'm sorry.

I am for any "legal" method(s) to "continuous improve" football officiating. You have a great suggestion.

I want to do all I can to "make the correct calls of Friday nights".

I worked the clock last Fri. and my line Judge was 19 yrs old. His second yr. in stripes. I thought he was working a perfict game until the halftime debrief from the Superv. The biggest critique he got was for not rotating behind the play when the action was away from him. This kid is one of our new professionals.

We need more like him.

If you saw the last play of the Auburn at Florida game - Auburn won on the last play of the game - a field goal.

Prior to the game winning field goad, Urdan Meyer called a time out fractions of a second prior to the snap. Auburn actually snapped the ball and made that field goal attempt too - but, that field goal was not the game winner - because the head coach (of FL) called time out. Auburn was forced to attempt another field goal. Prior to the snap, no time out was called (this time) - the field goal was good. Auburn won.

Here's my question / comment - In college game, there are more officials on the field. Some officials are positioned on the sidelines to help grant the head coach's request for a time out. However, on Friday nights, the high school officials should be positioned on the line (about 3yds wider than the widest player) or under the goal post on all field goal attempts. So, they / we may not noticed the coach's request. Yes, those of us who "know the game" will likely be expecting the head coach to call a time out to "ice the kicker". But, if the side official(s) direct their attention away from the play on the field, a false start or encroachment could easily be missed.

One easy way to get around this issue - have a player call the time out. In high school football, a player or the head coach can call a time out.

My point - if the head coach waits till "fractions of a second" prior to the snap to call a time out from the sideline - the request might go un-noticed. Don't get me wrong - we don't ever want to ignore any timeout request from a head coach - but, in reality, there will be lots of action happening on the field - and, no officials positioned on the sidelines near the team boxes & head coaches.

Having held the box for over 10 years I can assure you that if a coach wants to call a timeout he has ample opportunity to holler at the side judge before they lineup to tell him what he wants to do. Head coaches and coaches in general have very loud voices. When they want to be heard they will be. A good coach will be organized enough that he`ll be prepared to forewarn the ref what he wants to do.

I wish more refs would post on here. You guys offer a great insight on the game. A lot of people don`t realize just how tough it is and how many things you have to look for and keep up with and still try not to get your lights knocked out. I`ve never met an official who bragged about the money he makes. My experience in West TN is that officials just love what they do and take pride in getting their calls right. I constantly see and listen to the zebras critiquing themselves. Yeah you guys miss some, but overall you are putting your pride on the line and are earnestly strivie to call a fair game. I just wish more people realize that.

Having held the box for over 10 years I can assure you that if a coach wants to call a timeout he has ample opportunity to holler at the side judge before they lineup to tell him what he wants to do. Head coaches and coaches in general have very loud voices. When they want to be heard they will be. A good coach will be organized enough that he`ll be prepared to forewarn the ref what he wants to do.

I wish more refs would post on here. You guys offer a great insight on the game. A lot of people don`t realize just how tough it is and how many things you have to look for and keep up with and still try not to get your lights knocked out. I`ve never met an official who bragged about the money he makes. My experience in West TN is that officials just love what they do and take pride in getting their calls right. I constantly see and listen to the zebras critiquing themselves. Yeah you guys miss some, but overall you are putting your pride on the line and are earnestly strivie to call a fair game. I just wish more people realize that.

I can assure you that if the ball is down near the 10yd line and the bands are playing loud enough that the officials can't hear a whistle, the players can't hear the coach who is at the 25 in the team box.