Slide Tackling in High School

bapride

atdenton, what are you doing on feb 15th at midnite? I heard two crazy coaches are playing a game then. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

You know it is going to be COOOOOLD! I think you and I should coach from the heated press box (I have a wireless mike we can use to yell at the players!)

atdenton, if you are serious about reffing, send me an e mail at CAKsoccer@bellsouth.net . We (CAK vs. Alcoa) will be playing our opening scrimmage at Midnight (yes, 12:00 AM!) on Feb. 15th just for kicks and to do something fun and new. We are hoping for global warming to help us out.

Sorry to get off topic (though if you all would pay the paltry sum of $12 you can be a plus member, and we can post all we want on the guys boards, even though they aren't open... if Akula can find $12, then I KNOW everyone else can! Help support the "T"!) Yes... shameless plug.

Now, back to the show!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slide tackles are just another skill that is beautiful to watch when done properly. I know it doesn't show the same flare as a well executed cut move, but is just as vital to the the game. As a coach I do teach the proper technique and purpose of a slide tackle and emphasize the goal is to win the ball and not to knock down or injure another player. I also understand if it is done with malice or ignorance it can break the leg of another player, but so can many other parts of the game besides a slide tackle.

I know in high school soccer there is a wide level of talent which is usually the reason for some of these discussions. I believe the intent of the action is really what should be discussed and are we teaching proper sportsmanship along with everything else?

As far as injuries go, I have had both my knees rebuilt, both ankles sprained and broken, and one arm during the course of my soccer career and only one was due to contact with another player and never because of a slide tackle. I have seen keepers break players legs by diving thru the ball on breakaways, arms broken because of a shoulder charges that knocked a player down, and of course concussions from head to head contact for balls in the air. Anytime you have people running around at full speed looking for a ball in limited space you will have injuries. It is a physical and dangerous sport, but to outlaw any thing that can cause an injury would just leave us with halftime. Although my coach usually smoked during his halftime talks with us so those were kind of dangerous too.

I was in a game recently where a grade 6 referree (you would consider older) made a 2nd touch violation call on a player who kicked a PK and had the ball rebound directly back to her. Everyone in the stadium, except him, knew he made an incorrect call, yet he alllowed an indirect kick back out by the defense.

Rebounded directly back to her... How? Off the keeper or of the goal posts?

It does matter, correct?

• 2 weeks later...

We have lost our top 2 scorers to bad slide tackles in our last 2 games.

Both were fouls. Both were yellow cards. The first was a slide tackle from behind and the second was a very dirty slide tackle on a player that had taken 4 steps after passing the ball. The player that committed the foul jumped up laughing and was congratulated by her teammates as our girl lay screaming in pain.

I wonder if the slide tackle in high school should go the way of the crack back in football or the collision with the catcher in baseball.

I never thought that I would have this opinion, but when high school referees "let the girls play", too many promising careers are threatened or ended.

Thoughts anyone?

first of all, yall are so dramatic. her teammates were not congratulating her for hurting your player. they were congratualting her for getting the ball. second of all, she smiled, not laughed, because the coach was saying rediculous things like "good god ole' christmas", thats why she smiled. she didn't even know that your girl was hurt until after she smiled. if you haven't noticed, soccer is a contact sport. if you don't want to take the risk of getting hurt, then don't play.