Those Horrible PK Calls

oknative

This has been a season in which there have been several significant PK kicks given during the A/AA post season play - HHS v Beech - HHS gets PK in 38th min of 2nd half to win. CCS v CPA - PK given during a tie game of the state semi finals. I'm sure there are more. And during the debate that followed some of these calls, there have been postings which have been severely critical of referees who make calls against key players, or late in the game, or when a game was tied, and even during the playoffs.

My question, as a referee, is why do players or coaches think that play/fouls should be treated any differently in the penalty area, or late in a game, or during the playoffs, or any other time. The rules don't say that pushing in the penalty area should be called any differently that pushing in the rest of the field. Only the restart is different. There have postings to the effect that play is treated differently within the penalty area. By whom? Players or referees? I would like to know what are the coaches and players perspectives?

1. Do players treat play/fouls differently in the box?

2. Do they think that referrees treat play/fouls differently in the box?

3. Who are they favoring - the attacker or the defender?

4. Do attackers get more leeway in the box? or do defenders?

5. And the key question for players who are forwards - do fowards dive when contact is made to draw the PK?

Someone needs to sell me on why a referee should treat the same foul differenlty just because its inside the penalty area. And don't say because it has such a dramatic impact on the game. The players know this and still commit the fouls. Why should a referee bail out a player who commits a foul, by not blowing the whistle?

I think it is the referees that have established a different level of play inside the penalty area vs. outside. IMO most referees do not have the confidence/experience/courage to consistently make the same calls inside the 18 that they will make at the halfline, due to the consequences of that call. However, I do understand that very experienced referees may make some calls in the middle third, particularly early in the game, to establish the type of play that will be allowed, that are not deserving of a PK inside the 18.

Having read all of the posts over the last several weeks, some border on the ridiculous regarding how the game should be called inside the 18.

More yellow cards for diving would put a stop to some of that stuff. Watching to many Italy games on TV.

Referees take a beating on here, but most of the people watching a game do not have a clue regarding the rules in the first place (especially offsides). The most that a player, coach or fan can ask from a referee is: that they hustle to be in the correct position to make the call(s), they are knowledgeable, make their calls with confidence, stay out of the way and be consistent in the calls that are made. Most experienced players have had games called by good, bad and indifferent referess and they will adapt to how the game is called. As long as the calls are consistent.

Someone needs to sell me on why a referee should treat the same foul differenlty just because its inside the penalty area. And don't say because it has such a dramatic impact on the game. The players know this and still commit the fouls. Why should a referee bail out a player who commits a foul, by not blowing the whistle?

Here's your answer. So simple.......It's becuse the goal itself is in the penalty box!

I think it is the referees that have established a different level of play inside the penalty area vs. outside. IMO most referees do not have the confidence/experience/courage to consistently make the same calls inside the 18 that they will make at the halfline, due to the consequences of that call. However, I do understand that very experienced referees may make some calls in the middle third, particularly early in the game, to establish the type of play that will be allowed, that are not deserving of a PK inside the 18.

Having read all of the posts over the last several weeks, some border on the ridiculous regarding how the game should be called inside the 18.

More yellow cards for diving would put a stop to some of that stuff. Watching to many Italy games on TV.

Referees take a beating on here, but most of the people watching a game do not have a clue regarding the rules in the first place (especially offsides). The most that a player, coach or fan can ask from a referee is: that they hustle to be in the correct position to make the call(s), they are knowledgeable, make their calls with confidence, stay out of the way and be consistent in the calls that are made. Most experienced players have had games called by good, bad and indifferent referess and they will adapt to how the game is called. As long as the calls are consistent.

So if you think its the referee who establishes a different level of play, does it favor offense or defense? Or do you simply think they allow more from anyone before a call? Do the players know, or think, this, and therefore wouldn't this attitude be a green light to play more aggressively in the box?

I've yet to see a dive called, or call one myself. Am I missing them? How frequent are they?

Based upon my premise, only calls against the defense result in a PK, calls against the offense generally only result in a restart. So if a referee is hesitant to make a call that resaults in a PK, the defense likely gets a bit more leeway. Players are more aggressive in the box, because attackers are frantically trying to score and defenders are frantically trying to prevent scoring, they are focused on the ball and whatever they have to do.

Sir if you have never called a dive, I assume that means that you've never seen a dive. In which case that portion of your question has no meaning, because you have to be able to recognize it and it really isn't that hard.

Sir if you have never called a dive, I assume that means that you've never seen a dive. In which case that portion of your question has no meaning, because you have to be able to recognize it and it really isn't that hard.

I wouldn't go as far as saying I haven't seen a dive - but what makes them so hard to call is the fact that the defense usually gives the attacker the opportunity to dive through their contact. More often than not "dives" - for me - are no calls because the defender is usually contributory in these plays, meaning there is usually some sort of contact by the defender. Example for consideration: [a recent play where I thought a dive might have taken place] an attacker is running in on goal with a defender directly behind them with two outstretched arms in the back, then the attacker goes down. I might question whether the fall really resulted from the observed perceived push - and maybe, just maybe the attacker fell upon feeling the contact from behind - but the defender set himself up by having both of his hands on the back of the player. My call was a no-call.

But, I don't think they are as easy to spot as you seem to indicate. I've participated (refereed or watched) literally hundreds of games at the club, rec , and school levels - in 3 states - over the past 13 years and have NEVER seen a dive called - by ANY referee?

What I really want to know from the players on this board is how often "dives" are taking place. Are you diving? Do you dive more in the penalty area than other areas of the field? Are you getting PKs from them. Will anyone admit to it?

But, I don't think they are as easy to spot as you seem to indicate. I've participated (refereed or watched) literally hundreds of games at the club, rec , and school levels - in 3 states - over the past 13 years and have NEVER seen a dive called - by ANY referee?

Wow, 13 years and never called or seen a dive called? I speak to a player in almost every game I work, about "simulation". I make it obvious to all that I am giving a "public admonishment" to the first person I see "simulate" or "embellish" to receive a foul. Most games that is all it takes to eliminate it. About 1 out of every 5 or 6 games it requires a caution when the players do not "learn" from the "public admonishment".

Having just finished the TSSAA Girls season I must admit I see less attempted simulation than I see in the boys season, or in the USSF affiliated club games I work. In college games is is about equal Men/Women both have about the same frequency of simulation / embellishment.