Reg 1 Dis 2 AA

alwaysapioneer

Singleton not Singletary...the point guard. Great player, but he never did anything after high school. As far as the 02 team we'll see I guess. They did have 5 solid performers like I said in the starting lineup, but only had one truly reliable sub off the bench...maybe two if you stretched the definition. The book on the younger McBee is that he's not as big and brutish as his brother, but shoots it much better just like his sister (not that he shoots like a girl) did in the late 90s. Who knows how they'll do overall? Not me. I'd expect them to need a week or so to get into basketball shape from football.

My bad. Actually remembered before you corrected me just hadn't corrected. Singleton was a great high school player (one of the better in this area). I watched him for 4 yrs. Not sure what the fact that he did nothing after high school has to do with it. Probably have seen McBee more than you. McBee is a good athlete, no doubt, but not fair to him to compare him to Singleton (who actually could play numerous pos. and out jump most post). Should be a pretty evenly matched district.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My bad. Actually remembered before you corrected me just hadn't corrected. Singleton was a great high school player (one of the better in this area). I watched him for 4 yrs. Not sure what the fact that he did nothing after high school has to do with it. Probably have seen McBee more than you. McBee is a good athlete, no doubt, but not fair to him to compare him to Singleton (who actually could play numerous pos. and out jump most post). Should be a pretty evenly matched district.

Maybe you have if you've watched him since I left town nearly two years ago...and I made no comparison to Singleton and yeah I think what happened after high school has a lot to do with it. When you have D-1 talent and your heart isn't in it there's some issue. Singleton had a clear path to play in the SoCon if he'd been willing but wound up going to C-N then just quit...then went to Walters State before deciding he only wanted to play rec league. It's his decision of course, but I always felt like he short-changed himself in the long run. There are a lot of players I've seen that had decidedly less talent that have played for D-1 schools since 2004-05.

Maybe you have if you've watched him since I left town nearly two years ago...and I made no comparison to Singleton and yeah I think what happened after high school has a lot to do with it. When you have D-1 talent and your heart isn't in it there's some issue. Singleton had a clear path to play in the SoCon if he'd been willing but wound up going to C-N then just quit...then went to Walters State before deciding he only wanted to play rec league. It's his decision of course, but I always felt like he short-changed himself in the long run. There are a lot of players I've seen that had decidedly less talent that have played for D-1 schools since 2004-05.

Ok I'll bite. Who were they? I would have to agree with eaglefan. What does post high school have to do with high school performance. What you did after high school all of sudden says you were bad in high school? Colleges are full of students that were good high school athletes that don't play in college. Some were just not with the right program and did not get any exposure. Some were recruited but just decided they didn't want to play in college. College sports are very demanding and require a tremendous amount of time. Many decide that playing BB, FB , etc. will not put food on the table 10 years down the road so therefore they decide to put more time in hitting the books. Does this lesson their high school career?

Let's put it this way since none of you seem to understand...the talent he had should've carried him, but he lacked the mental toughness to get it done and you could see it a few times in high school. I love the kid and think he really had the game to make it in college because I felt like personally he's way more talented than the Jordan Howell's, Josh Tabb's and for sure more talented than his peers at the guard spot at C-N. That's just for starters. I'm not devaluing his accomplishments in high school because he did have well over 1500 points and 500 assists in his career, but the one thing that kept him from being the type that he could've been was killer instinct.

That is something that Skylar looks to possess at this point. I will concede I have not seen him play live in over a year, but when you get reports and read accounts of how he's leading his summer league team in scoring and turing heads of college coaches during tournaments then it gives me the impression he's got it or at least has some of it. So let this be my only comparision of Singleton and Skylar: Skylar looks to be mentally tougher than Daniel was at the same point in their careers.

Let's put it this way since none of you seem to understand...the talent he had should've carried him, but he lacked the mental toughness to get it done and you could see it a few times in high school. I love the kid and think he really had the game to make it in college because I felt like personally he's way more talented than the Jordan Howell's, Josh Tabb's and for sure more talented than his peers at the guard spot at C-N. That's just for starters. I'm not devaluing his accomplishments in high school because he did have well over 1500 points and 500 assists in his career, but the one thing that kept him from being the type that he could've been was killer instinct.

That is something that Skylar looks to possess at this point. I will concede I have not seen him play live in over a year, but when you get reports and read accounts of how he's leading his summer league team in scoring and turing heads of college coaches during tournaments then it gives me the impression he's got it or at least has some of it. So let this be my only comparision of Singleton and Skylar: Skylar looks to be mentally tougher than Daniel was at the same point in their careers.

You think teams will possibly key on him this year??

The only thing I remember about Daniel Singleton was his ability to fold under pressure. Some would say like a lawn chair. He was a very talented player and possessed all the skills to be great. He had no heart. You were talking about the 2002 team, didn't Singleton go like 0-15 from the floor in their final game that season where they lost by one point in a chance to go to sub-state? That was a good team, and there were some very underated players on that team. I think the McBee kid does have the killer instinct, just from watching him and reading about him playing football this year.

The only thing I remember about Daniel Singleton was his ability to fold under pressure. Some would say like a lawn chair. He was a very talented player and possessed all the skills to be great. He had no heart. You were talking about the 2002 team, didn't Singleton go like 0-15 from the floor in their final game that season where they lost by one point in a chance to go to sub-state? That was a good team, and there were some very underated players on that team. I think the McBee kid does have the killer instinct, just from watching him and reading about him playing football this year.

He did...and to beat all he only wanted to shoot jumpers. He hurt his wrist against Claiborne County in the district semis, played with a brace and was just about unstoppable against G-P in the finals then just disappeared against Sullivan Central in the first round of the region tourney. He went from possible district tourney MVP to a goat in the next round. It's inexplicable how bad he played that one game in the same gym a week later...

Let's get back on topic for this year's season. How do they fare in this District? What team should be the team to beat? Can Pigeon Forge repeat as season champs again? Comments on anything........

So far, PF beat AAA Central (don't know how quality they are though). They do lack a presence in the post but have two guards averaging 20 points or more. GP lost to William Blount by about 15 and showed some signs of a quality although young team. They started two sophomores and two juniors. Both post were about 6' 2", but created match up problems for WB on the perimeter and in transition. They should benefit tremendously in a couple of weeks when they get their football players. I'm not sure it's wise to hand the district to Rutledge just yet. They got beaten soundly by a Cocke Co. team thats struggled in the Chop House Classic. I talked to one ref that saw the game and he told me that while McBee is a quality ball player, he isn't ready to strap a team on his back and carry them. I think this year should prove to be an interesting one.