St. George's vs. SBEC for the DII-A crown-Sat 3:30

Trojan Fan

...and I believe SBEC is the only TSSAA school not in the state of Tennessee?

Well….headed to Murfreesboro on Saturday to root on the 10-1 Trojans and Mr. Football candidate H.R. Greer…and boy, is the task a big one. How to beat the 11-0 St. George’s Gryphons and their candidates Grant Jessen, Ben Popeck, and Hunter Cowan who laid an ugly whipping on the Trojans a few weeks ago for the only loss of the season…a tall order, indeed.

This Gryphon squad runs a power wishbone with a two pronged QB/RB attack with Cowan and Jessen with a change of pace speed back in there as well and both of the 1st two guys run very well themselves. They are so solid and execute so well. They also have a very frosty and confident defense…fundamentally sound, tackle well, and play assignments perfectly. What a great bunch of seniors they have. Ken Netherland gets my vote for Coach of the Year in DII-A for sure…maybe for all of DII…and he should get a lot of consideration for the Metro Memphis area as well.

The Trojans are somewhat young…6 seniors that play. If my math is correct, they total 9 of the starters….but it’s really 6 very solid seniors. I honestly never expected them to be quite as good as they are this year. The defense has been opportunistic and solid at times but they’ve certainly given up some points along the way. The offense has carried the team with a power running game and some misdirection thrown in to spice things up. St. George’s really stuffed the secondary options in the earlier game and if they do the same this time?...or if Greer is unable to get off to a good start?...It will be a long day again for the Trojans. Really super job by Coach Veazey and his staff to piece together a team that accomplished so much and relied so heavily on 15 sophomore and junior starters.

If I had to bet my house, it would be on the Gryphons but I know the Trojans will come hard and give it all they have w/ some wrinkles thrown in we haven’t yet seen. Either way, I look forward to celebrating the end of the season and their accomplishments. Congrats to both sets of young men and coaching staffs for successful seasons.

Hats off to several others out there. Bishop Byrne missed the playoffs for the 1st time in a while, I’m sure they’ll be tough and ready to go again next year. FACS really put together a nice run at the end of the season only to be de-railed by the Gryphon express. Those kids and coaches are to be commended for the way they finished off the season. It was nice to have Harding join the league this year….very solid and representative team and they’ll have very possibly the top WR recruit in the state next year in Marlon Brown. Rossville always comes out with every formation and play in the book and some not in the book to maximize their talent. I love to watch this bunch play. Davidson rebounded as well as you can after losing loads of talent off a championship squad but made the playoffs and showed us a little taste of a RB the rest of us will get really tired of for 3 more years. I love playing these guys…hard-nosed, tough, gritty, fiery…win or lose fighting it out and keeping that air of confidence you want your kids to have.

Tipton Rosemark gets a special commendation. Every kid on that squad had to lose over and over and watch injuries almost decimate an already thin squad. Kudos to you guys for not falling apart of just quitting. You could have. People will tell you it builds character and you may not believe it but you’ll be stronger men for sticking it out.

Come on down to Division II and join us, some of you private schools out there in central and east Tennessee. It’s a good division full of good kids and schools. We’d love to have you.

One last note: H.R. Greer, Mark Provence, Zach Medlock, Ryan "Bubba" Johnston, Sean Ferrell, Taylor "Bill" Locke, Josh Donaldson, and Stephen Dunavant. Thanks for you leadership and perseverance through a season that has given a lot of joy to your parents, friends, family, school, and all the other fans. One more time to strap on the equipment, guys. Go out, do your best, and your efforts will absolutely glorify God's name and that should be the goal in everything you do. God bless.

Well….headed to Murfreesboro on Saturday to root on the 10-1 Trojans and Mr. Football candidate H.R. Greer…and boy, is the task a big one. How to beat the 11-0 St. George’s Gryphons and their candidates Grant Jessen, Ben Popeck, and Hunter Cowan who laid an ugly whipping on the Trojans a few weeks ago for the only loss of the season…a tall order, indeed.

This Gryphon squad runs a power wishbone with a two pronged QB/RB attack with Cowan and Jessen with a change of pace speed back in there as well and both of the 1st two guys run very well themselves. They are so solid and execute so well. They also have a very frosty and confident defense…fundamentally sound, tackle well, and play assignments perfectly. What a great bunch of seniors they have. Ken Netherland gets my vote for Coach of the Year in DII-A for sure…maybe for all of DII…and he should get a lot of consideration for the Metro Memphis area as well.

The Trojans are somewhat young…6 seniors that play. If my math is correct, they total 9 of the starters….but it’s really 6 very solid seniors. I honestly never expected them to be quite as good as they are this year. The defense has been opportunistic and solid at times but they’ve certainly given up some points along the way. The offense has carried the team with a power running game and some misdirection thrown in to spice things up. St. George’s really stuffed the secondary options in the earlier game and if they do the same this time?...or if Greer is unable to get off to a good start?...It will be a long day again for the Trojans. Really super job by Coach Veazey and his staff to piece together a team that accomplished so much and relied so heavily on 15 sophomore and junior starters.

If I had to bet my house, it would be on the Gryphons but I know the Trojans will come hard and give it all they have w/ some wrinkles thrown in we haven’t yet seen. Either way, I look forward to celebrating the end of the season and their accomplishments. Congrats to both sets of young men and coaching staffs for successful seasons.

Hats off to several others out there. Bishop Byrne missed the playoffs for the 1st time in a while, I’m sure they’ll be tough and ready to go again next year. FACS really put together a nice run at the end of the season only to be de-railed by the Gryphon express. Those kids and coaches are to be commended for the way they finished off the season. It was nice to have Harding join the league this year….very solid and representative team and they’ll have very possibly the top WR recruit in the state next year in Marlon Brown. Rossville always comes out with every formation and play in the book and some not in the book to maximize their talent. I love to watch this bunch play. Davidson rebounded as well as you can after losing loads of talent off a championship squad but made the playoffs and showed us a little taste of a RB the rest of us will get really tired of for 3 more years. I love playing these guys…hard-nosed, tough, gritty, fiery…win or lose fighting it out and keeping that air of confidence you want your kids to have.

Tipton Rosemark gets a special commendation. Every kid on that squad had to lose over and over and watch injuries almost decimate an already thin squad. Kudos to you guys for not falling apart of just quitting. You could have. People will tell you it builds character and you may not believe it but you’ll be stronger men for sticking it out.

Come on down to Division II and join us, some of you private schools out there in central and east Tennessee. It’s a good division full of good kids and schools. We’d love to have you.

One last note: H.R. Greer, Mark Provence, Zach Medlock, Ryan "Bubba" Johnston, Sean Ferrell, Taylor "Bill" Locke, Josh Donaldson, and Stephen Dunavant. Thanks for you leadership and perseverance through a season that has given a lot of joy to your parents, friends, family, school, and all the other fans. One more time to strap on the equipment, guys. Go out, do your best, and your efforts will absolutely glorify God's name and that should be the goal in everything you do. God bless.

Are you bragging about SBEC not being in Tennessee. I know it is not but I do not know why. Oh I forgot the T$$AA is making all the rules and decisions as the go.

Are you bragging about SBEC not being in Tennessee. I know it is not but I do not know why. Oh I forgot the T$$AA is making all the rules and decisions as the go.

No, not at all....just noted it as an afterthought of one of those oddities of life....a school in Mississippi playing for a Tennessee title and it made me wonder if there was another like it.

SBEC actually was in Memphis for a long time. It was a ministry of several different Baptist churches in the city thus the name Southern Baptist Educational Center as opposed to a name of a specific church or something like that. It ended up as a ministry of Broadway Baptist Church only over time and Broadway ended up moving over the state line into Southaven, MS and built a brand new facility. The school, naturally, moved with it. There are kids that reside in both states at the school now and were before it moved across the state line. It's an interesting mix of people who think of themselves as Tennesseans, Mississippians, or just Memphians with no real strong identity to either state.

For a time they played in the Mississippi Private Schools Association. Unlike Tennessee, Mississippi has the MHSAA for public but privates are governed by the MPSA. Parochial schools are generally in the MHSAA but I think every other private school that's not a Catholic school plays private school ball. The travel for SBEC got to really be tough having to travel to the delta and Jackson regularly to play schools of similar size...especially tough in hoops, baseball, etc....very expensive. They then decided to petition the TSSAA to let them play and the agreed. I think it's been good for SBEC for sure. Since it's in the metro area, it's easily as much of a "fit" playing Memphis and surrounding area schools as playing in Mississippi. Actually, it's kind of cool b/c we play some Mississippi public and private schools in non-league games, too...lots of interesting variety.

Another note for non-Tennesseans, there are a good many Louisiana schools that play in the MPSA because it just fits them better and a handful in Arkansas. In fact before the split in Tennessee, there were several small Tennessee academies playing in the MPSA....don't think there any more, though.

...just quirky ways the world works.

Well???.headed to Murfreesboro on Saturday to root on the 10-1 Trojans and Mr. Football candidate H.R. Greer???and boy, is the task a big one. How to beat the 11-0 St. George???s Gryphons and their candidates Grant Jessen, Ben Popeck, and Hunter Cowan who laid an ugly whipping on the Trojans a few weeks ago for the only loss of the season???a tall order, indeed.

This Gryphon squad runs a power wishbone with a two pronged QB/RB attack with Cowan and Jessen with a change of pace speed back in there as well and both of the 1st two guys run very well themselves. They are so solid and execute so well. They also have a very frosty and confident defense???fundamentally sound, tackle well, and play assignments perfectly. What a great bunch of seniors they have. Ken Netherland gets my vote for Coach of the Year in DII-A for sure???maybe for all of DII???and he should get a lot of consideration for the Metro Memphis area as well.

The Trojans are somewhat young???6 seniors that play. If my math is correct, they total 9 of the starters???.but it???s really 6 very solid seniors. I honestly never expected them to be quite as good as they are this year. The defense has been opportunistic and solid at times but they???ve certainly given up some points along the way. The offense has carried the team with a power running game and some misdirection thrown in to spice things up. St. George???s really stuffed the secondary options in the earlier game and if they do the same this time?...or if Greer is unable to get off to a good start?...It will be a long day again for the Trojans. Really super job by Coach Veazey and his staff to piece together a team that accomplished so much and relied so heavily on 15 sophomore and junior starters.

If I had to bet my house, it would be on the Gryphons but I know the Trojans will come hard and give it all they have w/ some wrinkles thrown in we haven???t yet seen. Either way, I look forward to celebrating the end of the season and their accomplishments. Congrats to both sets of young men and coaching staffs for successful seasons.

Hats off to several others out there. Bishop Byrne missed the playoffs for the 1st time in a while, I???m sure they???ll be tough and ready to go again next year. FACS really put together a nice run at the end of the season only to be de-railed by the Gryphon express. Those kids and coaches are to be commended for the way they finished off the season. It was nice to have Harding join the league this year???.very solid and representative team and they???ll have very possibly the top WR recruit in the state next year in Marlon Brown. Rossville always comes out with every formation and play in the book and some not in the book to maximize their talent. I love to watch this bunch play. Davidson rebounded as well as you can after losing loads of talent off a championship squad but made the playoffs and showed us a little taste of a RB the rest of us will get really tired of for 3 more years. I love playing these guys???hard-nosed, tough, gritty, fiery???win or lose fighting it out and keeping that air of confidence you want your kids to have.

Tipton Rosemark gets a special commendation. Every kid on that squad had to lose over and over and watch injuries almost decimate an already thin squad. Kudos to you guys for not falling apart of just quitting. You could have. People will tell you it builds character and you may not believe it but you???ll be stronger men for sticking it out.

Come on down to Division II and join us, some of you private schools out there in central and east Tennessee. It???s a good division full of good kids and schools. We???d love to have you.

Great way to express the league we are in. Alot of respect for everyone. Thanks Trojan Fan for your time. SBEC has earned it. St George has earned it. Now let's battle. 12, 70 72 and others are strong and great players. Davidson lost 16 starters. I think we did well this year. Good luck and hopefully you guys can stop the VER.

Let everything be in God's Name

DII

Great way to express the league we are in. Alot of respect for everyone. Thanks Trojan Fan for your time. SBEC has earned it. St George has earned it. Now let's battle. 12, 70 72 and others are strong and great players. Davidson lost 16 starters. I think we did well this year. Good luck and hopefully you guys can stop the VER.

Let everything be in God's Name

DII

Well said. Your words represent your school and the division well. Good Luck.