Only 5 schools in West Tn have won State Title since 1982

StevieRayVol

In the last 25 years...Middle Tennessee and East Tennessee have dominated High School football when it comes to State Championships....Only 5 teams have won a State title in the last 25 years...

Huntingdon - 2003

Milan- 1998, 1999

Bruceton Hollowrock Central-1989

Lake County-1985

JCS-2006

And in the Shelby/Metro area only 9 Memphis teams have won a State Title regardless of classification.....Just something about those teams from Middle and East Tennessee when it comes to Football.... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the last 25 years...Middle Tennessee and East Tennessee have dominated High School football when it comes to State Championships....Only 5 teams have won a State title in the last 25 years...

Huntingdon - 2003

Milan- 1998, 1999

Lake County-1985

JCS-2006

And in the Shelby/Metro area only 5 Memphis teams have won a State Title regardless of classification.....Just something about those teams from Middle and East Tennessee when it comes to Football.... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Dude,

I think your numbers are a little weak.I think milan has won more than that.

Not since 1982....TALKING THE LAST 25 years..... Not Talking about the 70's...Everything since 1982....Only 5 teams have won... SHELBY METRO have been represented by 9 teams in ALL CLASSIFICATIONS since 1982:

1982- Memphis Catholic A Champ

1983- ECS- A , Germantown-AAA

1985-Hillcrest AAA, MUS- AA

1996, 1998- Melrose -3A

1999- Memphis East - 4A Div. II-A ECS

2000- ECS-Div. II AA

2001- Bishop Bryne Div II-A

2002- Ridgeway-3 A , Bishop Bryne Div II-A

2003- Germantown 5A

2004-Bishop Bryne Div. II A. Div II AA Memphis Briarcrest

2005 MUS- Div. II AAA, Div. II AA ECS

Here is a list of ALL STATE CHAMPS in All classifications since 1969........http://www.hsfdatabase.com/tn_statechamps2000.htm

No....Maryville isn't a RICH PRIVATE SCHOOL or is Alcoa.......GO watch David Lipscomb...NOT ONE PLAYER OFF THAT SQUAD last year got a D-1 scholly....And they didn't run but about 6 plays...OVER AND OVER....Something about those Middle and East Tennessee teams that are different....West Tennessee has the BEST ATHLETES....Guarantee that MEMPHIS MITCHELL will have more athletes than anybody in the state....Those kids from Middle and East Tennessee when it comes to Football just seem to play at ANOTHER LEVEL..... I ALWAYS PULL FOR THE WEST TENNESSEE TEAMS....We just haven't won as many State Titles as most people think... I for one was shocked when I started counting the teams...Now...If John Tucker hadn't had to compete against Brentwood Back in the late 70's and early 80's...there is NO TELLING how many State Titles he would have won.... I would love to see the West bring home all the gold...but those teams from Middle and the Eastern part of the State are something else!...

I was checking to see if you was a private cronie.

Hey ! I can GUARANTEE YOU that he ain't a "private cronie" ! Just a "Good Ol' COUNTRY BOY" that I call a PAL !Some folks call 'em friends, but "Young Guns " is one of my favorite movies ! Private Cronie ? !? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

You're pretty much right on. You missed SBEC in 2003 and while they're technically not in WestTN/Memphis they're at least Metro and would fit for these purposes. But really, a good number of the championships have come after the divisions expanded which really makes the west look even worse.

Not since 1982....TALKING THE LAST 25 years..... Not Talking about the 70's...Everything since 1982....Only 5 teams have won... SHELBY METRO have been represented by 9 teams in ALL CLASSIFICATIONS since 1982:

1982- Memphis Catholic A Champ

1983- ECS- A , Germantown-AAA

1985-Hillcrest AAA, MUS- AA

1996, 1998- Melrose -3A

1999- Memphis East - 4A Div. II-A ECS

2000- ECS-Div. II AA

2001- Bishop Bryne Div II-A

2002- Ridgeway-3 A , Bishop Bryne Div II-A

2003- Germantown 5A

2004-Bishop Bryne Div. II A. Div II AA Memphis Briarcrest

2005 MUS- Div. II AAA, Div. II AA ECS

Here is a list of ALL STATE CHAMPS in All classifications since 1969........http://www.hsfdatabase.com/tn_statechamps2000.htm

Huntingdon - 2003

Milan- 1998, 1999

Lake County-1985

JCS-2006

And in the Shelby/Metro area only 9 Memphis teams have won a State Title regardless of classification.....Just something about those teams from Middle and East Tennessee when it comes to Football.... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

You are absolutely right. I started a post on this topic a couple of years ago. Middle and East Tennessee do dominate in state championships. The best explanation that I got for this was that in those areas of the state that football has been around nearly a 100 years and that in west Tennesse for whatever reason that is not the case. Basically the emphasis on highschool football is much higher in those areas. Coaching was also mentioned as a factor as it relates to quality and numbers. The bigger cities in West Tennessee are Memphis and Jackson. It is clear that basketball is emphasized in Memphis. Many highschool football teams in Memphis don't even have their own football field. They share community fields. As for Jackson compare the numbers of highschools they have there in relation to their population. The talent there is severely diluted. In some areas of east Tennessee highschool games are even televised. That rarely if ever happens in West Tennessee. Check out coacht posts and compare the number of posts by middle, west and east Tennessee fans and see where there is more interest based on that. Also you can go back and check the TSSAA for all state champions and semifinalists and you will find that middle and east Tennessee have always dominated in football. Bottom line, I believe their domination is due to their nearly 100 year history of playing it and their emphasis and interest on highschool football. Those 3 factors add up to more wins.