Mr. Football Winners

HEATHHELTON

Great post but I think alot of people are missing the point of the "Back" part of it. It is suppose to be about his offensive part not the linebacker or punting or other points. I know he is a good Fb but how many FB win the Heisman and that is what this is to a high school player. Now if they wanted to put him up for the "Lineman" award for his work at LB then I think he was derserving but not as a back.

Fair enough. But MBA's running game would not have been the same without him leading, and without the threat of his quick hitters. He ran for 440 yards this year, and I don't recall him ever being tackled for a loss. And rightly or wrongly... to the winner go the spoils.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post but I think alot of people are missing the point of the "Back" part of it. It is suppose to be about his offensive part not the linebacker or punting or other points. I know he is a good Fb but how many FB win the Heisman and that is what this is to a high school player. Now if they wanted to put him up for the "Lineman" award for his work at LB then I think he was derserving but not as a back.

I beg to differ, back or lineman awards, a linebacker is not alineman, defensive back is not a lineban, a reciever is not a lineman, a qb is not a lineman, the back award goes to the best player at QB, rb, wr, lb or db, the lineman award goes to the best C, G, T, NG, DT, DE.

According to what you are saying, defensive players are not eligible for the award, strange, you bring up the heisman and is the dorsey fellow from lsu a dt that is in the running? Yes he is.

I will add this, although the award is meant to go to the best player, it is impossible for this to happen, some times it does and some times it does not,

Troy smith won the heisman last year although it was obvious that he was not, the nfl guys know who is th best player and well he was not even a first rounder, I am not convinced that he was even the best on the OSU team last season. There is a lot more to the game than stats, and stats do not tell the story in most cases.

Lets take Nascar for example, Jimmy Johnson won the chase, name one of his crew members, greatness is never achieved on its own. The greatest to ever play the game would not be so great if he played for the Dolphins this year.

I beg to differ, back or lineman awards, a linebacker is not alineman, defensive back is not a lineban, a reciever is not a lineman, a qb is not a lineman, the back award goes to the best player at QB, rb, wr, lb or db, the lineman award goes to the best C, G, T, NG, DT, DE.

According to what you are saying, defensive players are not eligible for the award, strange, you bring up the heisman and is the dorsey fellow from lsu a dt that is in the running? Yes he is.

I will add this, although the award is meant to go to the best player, it is impossible for this to happen, some times it does and some times it does not,

Troy smith won the heisman last year although it was obvious that he was not, the nfl guys know who is th best player and well he was not even a first rounder, I am not convinced that he was even the best on the OSU team last season. There is a lot more to the game than stats, and stats do not tell the story in most cases.

Lets take Nascar for example, Jimmy Johnson won the chase, name one of his crew members, greatness is never achieved on its own. The greatest to ever play the game would not be so great if he played for the Dolphins this year.

good point, other than dorsey isn't in the running for the heisman anymore. but charles woodson did win the award as a DB over peyton manning. from what i hear about these kids is that they are very talented and regardless of who won mr. football they will both go onto college and get another chance to stand out. if they didn't win they can use that as motivation. more often than not the guys who don't win the awards go on to have great careers. its all over sports. from what it sounds like, BB was the key link to his team. maybe he deserved it more. but i have heard nothing but praises for chris jordan and i wish him the best at the next level. but you can't argue who won or lost cuz its over and done with. no changing it.

From the TSSAA standpoint a lb is considered a lineman. Example is the lb for MUS was up for the lineman award. He only played defense. So that makes linebackers linemen.

Dorsey is not even going to be considered since he was not in the finalists that will be in NY.

Another example,

Ryan Carl, Linebacker for UT, played RB & LB for BGA. He was a Mr. Football Back.

I cannot find the qualification rules around Lineman or Back for Mr. Football this on the TSSAA website. If it exists, please post the link. If it doesn't exist, you could say it is up to the "Peers" to decided.