Mr. Football Winners

HEATHHELTON

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly have u seen curt phillips play? he lead his team through tough times.... if they were down he brought his team bak.... and wen they were down he played defense... and he returns kicks and punts..... so curt shouldve won

I agree.Curt Phillips and Andre Sterling were the best in the state.This is a joke like the all conference voting that goes on.

Everybody can argue about stats all day long, but if you check the TSSAA website, it indicates on field performance is not the only measuring stick for the Mr. Football winners. Academics and character is also a factor in determining the winner. Congrats to all winners. Anybody nominated should be considered a winner on and off the field.

I agree.Curt Phillips and Andre Sterling were the best in the state.This is a joke like the all conference voting that goes on.

Look every kid that was up there had an amazing season, and YES sterling is a great player. But when he played a very good team did you see his stats then. And i'm not taking anything away from him. but think Rod is in the region 4-5a the toughest in the state which was proved today after the awards. The kid scores a TD I think every 3 or 4 times he touches the ball. And he also has a Punt Return for a TD and a Kick off reutrn for a TD and he is on his way back to another State Championship (which he was the mvp of last year)so... If your going to be biased just because you are from East Tennessee make sure you get all the facts straight...

GREAT YEAR ANDRE STERLING!!!

AND CONGRATS ROD WILKS!!! Way to bring it to the 4-5a

Congratulations to Ben Bartholomew, and Preston Bailey in Div.II AA. It's only fitting that the award goes to the best 2 players on the BEST team in the state. To bad the TSSAA will never know let us know for sure.

You're right, on all counts. These are outstanding players who were great in every game, and played as team players through to their championship. Congratulations. The award is for the best year in high school ball...not for who has the most upside, whatever that means.

For those who attempt to "DIS" these award winners in any class, I feel sorry for you.

Honestly have u seen curt phillips play? he lead his team through tough times.... if they were down he brought his team bak.... and wen they were down he played defense... and he returns kicks and punts..... so curt shouldve won

ok...i have never replied on this board, but after being informed on brent burnette winning the 4a back i just couldnt resist. First of all brent is a quality kid and an outstanding (pocket) drop back passer. He has amassed amazing stats and helped his team reach a state final. That being said.... this award was meant to be awarded to the top 4A BACK in the state of tn. IT DID NOT SAY "TOP 4A DROP BACK POCKET PASSER". So...here we stand with a young man by the name of Curt Phillips that has surpassed the state single season all purpose yards of all time. AND HE IS A "back".....just so happens to be a quarterback. MAYBE NEXT YEAR THEY WILL CHANGE THE AWARD TO "BEST DROP BACK POCKET PASSER"..........because this year they sure did award one.

I hate to say I told you so but...... When the finalists were announced I said Andre wouldn't win because he was from E. Tenn. Happens all the time all the coaches and sports writers in middle Tenn. vote for sports awards and east Tenn. folks don't!!! Hurts like the devil but get over it like we did with Spence Gulmire.

no way gulmire should have beat gaston miller out for it, i know oak ridge folks dont look at it like that because they didnt get a good look at g miller (his senior year atleast, 2005). from the oak ridge i saw i felt like gulmire wasnt even the best on his team (revel coffee was in my opinion)

its all old and irrelevant now, just putting my 2 cents in, everyone entitled to opinions /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I lined up against Curt Phillips on Thursday August 23rd for the 1st game of the regular season. I was playing defense, and we forced a few punts and contained him most of the 1st quarter. Then the kid's athleticism took over, he ran through us, over us, and around us, while showcasing an arm that got him a deserving scholarship at the University of Wisconsin. Yall say that character and academics also have a hand in the choices for TN Mr. Football, and while i dont know his academic status, I can say that Curt Phillips is one of the most upstanding people I have ever met, and he is humble in victory. He is an all-business young man who does anything for his team to succeed. They are having a tough game? Coach tells him to return kicks, punts, maybe play a little safety or corner, and he does it. He does it WELL. His versatility and coachability are very rare and his unselfishness and level head combined with his talent level make Curt Phillips a very good story, though the voters wouldn't give him the award he is deserving of. He also came back from a knee injury and played EVEN BETTER than before. Not to discredit anyone else who was in the running for the award, and congratulations to all the players that won the Mr. Football throughout the football classes, but COME ON Curt single-handedly took his team through the regular season, and a couple games away from a state title. Anyone can say that Curt isn't a gamechanger because he didn't beat Maryville, but honestly, who IS a gamechanger against Maryville? Obviously, there hasn't been one in quite a while, since they are 112 out of their last 114. They are pretty confident against Maplewood and should win yet another title to go 60-0 in their last 60 games.

no way gulmire should have beat gaston miller out for it, i know oak ridge folks dont look at it like that because they didnt get a good look at g miller (his senior year atleast, 2005). from the oak ridge i saw i felt like gulmire wasnt even the best on his team (revel coffee was in my opinion)

its all old and irrelevant now, just putting my 2 cents in, everyone entitled to opinions /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Tdntn..... you're right, Coffee was something else. Gulmire was the best BACK on the team, but not the best player. Coffee was a man. Reminded me of Lamon Williams out of DB with Duran Ferguson in 2004. Coffee had to be the best player on their team, I played against him too, 1st round of the 2005 playoffs. He was a big, lean wideout who showed good athleticism. We prepared for Gulmire all week and Coffee threw a double-pass from the Z position for a TD on Oak Ridge's first play from scrimmage. I don't remember what else happened in that game, only that my team got torched, and that Coffee touched the ball an awful lot, and did amazing things with it.

ok...i have never replied on this board, but after being informed on brent burnette winning the 4a back i just couldnt resist. First of all brent is a quality kid and an outstanding (pocket) drop back passer. He has amassed amazing stats and helped his team reach a state final. That being said.... this award was meant to be awarded to the top 4A BACK in the state of tn. IT DID NOT SAY "TOP 4A DROP BACK POCKET PASSER". So...here we stand with a young man by the name of Curt Phillips that has surpassed the state single season all purpose yards of all time. AND HE IS A "back".....just so happens to be a quarterback. MAYBE NEXT YEAR THEY WILL CHANGE THE AWARD TO "BEST DROP BACK POCKET PASSER"..........because this year they sure did award one.

OK, First of all I understand both are quality kids and I enjoyed watching both play but Nor did the award say "TOP 4A SINGLE WING RUSHING QB" or FULLBACK OR TAILBACK OR RECEIVER! In the 4 games I've seen Burnette, he precisely excuted and excelled in the offense that is asked of him to run that enabled maryville to WIN! Just as he did in maryvilles win against sullivan this past friday. Burnette sure didn't appear to be in the pocket when he threw his first of three TDS friday against sullivan. With that said you probaly couldn't have gone wrong with any of the FINALIST in any category! VERY DESERVING AND CONGRATS TO ALL THESE YOUNG MEN!

OK, First of all I understand both are quality kids and I enjoyed watching both play but Nor did the award say "TOP 4A SINGLE WING RUSHING QB" or FULLBACK OR TAILBACK OR RECEIVER! In the 4 games I've seen Burnette, he precisely excuted and excelled in the offense that is asked of him to run that enabled maryville to WIN! Just as he did in maryvilles win against sullivan this past friday. Burnette sure didn't appear to be in the pocket when he threw his first of three TDS friday against sullivan. With that said you probaly couldn't have gone wrong with any of the FINALIST in any category! VERY DESERVING AND CONGRATS TO ALL THESE YOUNG MEN!

THE FIRST OF THREE TD PASS THAT YOU ARE REFERRING TO JSUT SO HAPPENED TO BE THE ONE WHERE THE SULLIVAN SOUTH CORNER BROKE HIS COVERAGE AND BROKE ON THE QB AND LEFT THE RECIEVER OPEN BY A MERE 20 YARDS. Once again we are not refering to the game between sullivan and maryville. We are discussing a CLASS 4A MR FOOTBALL in the "back" gategory. Any one else with any reasoning????