Marshall County Ky Hoopfest

I went to the Marshall County Hoopfest yesterday to waste a little time on a rainy Saturday afternoon and came away impressed by the event...

Now I know some of you out there will say there are better events out there and there probably are but anyway I got to see some very good players on some pretty good teams in front of a very packed house at Marshall County High School...

Some of those players were Scotty Thompson from University Heights,Ky(Mississippi State)...He is a 6'7" senior that had a great game in his team's win over Lafayette,Missouri...I got to see the big 6'9" soph who has already committed to the Universty of Kentucky,Dakotah Euton from Rose Hill Christian,KY...His team lost to the host school,Marshall County....Joe Jackson,though only a soph,was billed as the best point guard in Memphis..He plays for White Station...His team beat Pinckneyville,Ill and Jackson did not disappoint as he won game MVP honors....The Spartans also have a 6'6" freshman you might be hearing about down the road in Marvin Williams...White Station beat Pinckneyville....The feature game was Oak Hill Academy playing Chicago Hales Franciscan...The Warriors opened up a close game midway through the third quarter and blasted the team from Chicago...Brandon Jennings is something else for Oak Hill.He scored a game-high 34 points and just took over in the Oak Hill's run..Other notable players in that game were Jennings as he is ranked as the #1 high school player....Keith "Tiny" Gallon,who at 6'9" 300 lbs is the country's 5th ranked player..Big body and was unstoppable in and around the goal....Glenn Bryant,6'7" 180 who is junior jumping jack..Had some outstanding dunks...They also had a couple of sophs in Bryan Allen and Pe'Shon Howard that were outstanding as well....Oak Hill also has on their team the 21st and 26th ranked players in the country in Dan Jennings and Malik Story...The Warriors return to Marshall Co this Thursday as they play a nationally televised game on ESPN against St. Benedicts...Scott County,Ky is the defending KY state champions but they were narrowly defeated by Chicago Whitney Young and their notable player,Marcus Jordan,son of Michael Jordan...The buzz around the arena was that His Airness himself was supposed to attend the game...If he did,he stayed hid...I didn't see him...Lexington Catholic beat Chicago Simeon,who of course is not the same team without super freshman Derrick Rose who is now at Memphis....The final game of the night was Findley College Prep out of Nevada playing Wheeler out of Georgia....This game featured Kentucky recruit DeAndre Liggons..His team won the game pretty handily...The thing about this game was the line-up the Findley team has...They only brought 7 to the game but their roster included 3 6'10" players,1 7 footer and 2 6'9" s.... Nobody under 6'3"....The Wheeler team featured DeQuan Jones who has signed with Tha U...Miami,Fla....

This is a three day affair that also included DeMatha Catholic out of Maryland and their star players,Austin Freeman(Georgetown),Jerai Grant(Clemson),Jeff Peterson(Iowa),Isiah Tate(George Mason) and Marlin Cribbs(Mount St. Mary's)..They also have junior Naji Hibbert who is also heavily recruited....

Vienna,Ill featured 7 foot center Brett Thompson who is listed as the #29 player in the country and has committed to St. Louis....

In attendance yesterday was Tennessee head coach Bruce Pearl and Kentucky coach Billy Gillespie....

This is the 12th year for this event and it keeps getting bigger and bigger....Steve Woodward has developed a close relationship with Oak Hill coach Steve Smith so you can almost rest assured the Warriors will be in it year in and year out.....

No,I'm sorry I didn't.....

Here was the line-up for the first two days...

Thursday had...

Marshall Co,Ky vs Muhlenburg North,Ky...Girls

Marshall Co,Ky vs Muhlenburg North,Ky...Boys

Shelbyville,Tn vs Carbondale,Ill....Boys

Lexington Christian,Ky vs Shelbyville,Tn..Girls

Friday had...

Marshall Co,Ky vs Massac County,Ill...Girls

Graves County,Ky vs Vienna,Ill..Boys....I do know Graves won this game in OT

Paducah Tighlman,Ky vs Mem Briarcrest,Tn..Boys.....Leslie McDonald was the big name in this one

DeMatha,Md vs Jackson Provine,Miss....Boys....DeMatha won this one

Saturday Morning had...

Paducah Tighlman,Ky vs Obion Co Central,Tn...Girls....OC won this one 78-42

Calloway Co,Ky vs Milan,Tn...Girls....Milan won

Massac Co,Ill vs Jefferson City, Missouri...Boys

University Heights,Ky vs Lafayette,Missouri...Boys...UH won this one

I bet that Shelbyville's girls game was good...I think Lexington Christian is two-time defending champion in Kentucky....I know they won it all last year...

Both of Shelbyvilles injured players played. It made the difference. Lexington had a guard that scored thirty before fouling out with about a minute left.

I went to the Marshall County Hoopfest yesterday to waste a little time on a rainy Saturday afternoon and came away impressed by the event...

Now I know some of you out there will say there are better events out there and there probably are but anyway I got to see some very good players on some pretty good teams in front of a very packed house at Marshall County High School...

Some of those players were Scotty Thompson from University Heights,Ky(Mississippi State)...He is a 6'7" senior that had a great game in his team's win over Lafayette,Missouri...I got to see the big 6'9" soph who has already committed to the Universty of Kentucky,Dakotah Euton from Rose Hill Christian,KY...His team lost to the host school,Marshall County....Joe Jackson,though only a soph,was billed as the best point guard in Memphis..He plays for White Station...His team beat Pinckneyville,Ill and Jackson did not disappoint as he won game MVP honors....The Spartans also have a 6'6" freshman you might be hearing about down the road in Marvin Williams...White Station beat Pinckneyville....The feature game was Oak Hill Academy playing Chicago Hales Franciscan...The Warriors opened up a close game midway through the third quarter and blasted the team from Chicago...Brandon Jennings is something else for Oak Hill.He scored a game-high 34 points and just took over in the Oak Hill's run..Other notable players in that game were Jennings as he is ranked as the #1 high school player....Keith "Tiny" Gallon,who at 6'9" 300 lbs is the country's 5th ranked player..Big body and was unstoppable in and around the goal....Glenn Bryant,6'7" 180 who is junior jumping jack..Had some outstanding dunks...They also had a couple of sophs in Bryan Allen and Pe'Shon Howard that were outstanding as well....Oak Hill also has on their team the 21st and 26th ranked players in the country in Dan Jennings and Malik Story...The Warriors return to Marshall Co this Thursday as they play a nationally televised game on ESPN against St. Benedicts...Scott County,Ky is the defending KY state champions but they were narrowly defeated by Chicago Whitney Young and their notable player,Marcus Jordan,son of Michael Jordan...The buzz around the arena was that His Airness himself was supposed to attend the game...If he did,he stayed hid...I didn't see him...Lexington Catholic beat Chicago Simeon,who of course is not the same team without super freshman Derrick Rose who is now at Memphis....The final game of the night was Findley College Prep out of Nevada playing Wheeler out of Georgia....This game featured Kentucky recruit DeAndre Liggons..His team won the game pretty handily...The thing about this game was the line-up the Findley team has...They only brought 7 to the game but their roster included 3 6'10" players,1 7 footer and 2 6'9" s.... Nobody under 6'3"....The Wheeler team featured DeQuan Jones who has signed with Tha U...Miami,Fla....

This is a three day affair that also included DeMatha Catholic out of Maryland and their star players,Austin Freeman(Georgetown),Jerai Grant(Clemson),Jeff Peterson(Iowa),Isiah Tate(George Mason) and Marlin Cribbs(Mount St. Mary's)..They also have junior Naji Hibbert who is also heavily recruited....

Vienna,Ill featured 7 foot center Brett Thompson who is listed as the #29 player in the country and has committed to St. Louis....

In attendance yesterday was Tennessee head coach Bruce Pearl and Kentucky coach Billy Gillespie....

This is the 12th year for this event and it keeps getting bigger and bigger....Steve Woodward has developed a close relationship with Oak Hill coach Steve Smith so you can almost rest assured the Warriors will be in it year in and year out.....

Austin Freeman,Jerai Grant,Jeff Peterson,Isiah Tate,and Marlin Cribbs do not play for Dematha anymore.They are all in college now.The program has that in it,but they all graduated last year.Their team this year is very athletic and they beat a good Jackson Provine(Ms) team.The Hoopfest is the premier event in this area,You want to see some good teams and players,the Hoopfest is it every year.Joe Jackson is not only the top point guard in Memphis,he is the 7th ranked player on Rivals in the 2010 class.

Austin Freeman,Jerai Grant,Jeff Peterson,Isiah Tate,and Marlin Cribbs do not play for Dematha anymore.They are all in college now.The program has that in it,but they all graduated last year.Their team this year is very athletic and they beat a good Jackson Provine(Ms) team.The Hoopfest is the premier event in this area,You want to see some good teams and players,the Hoopfest is it every year.Joe Jackson is not only the top point guard in Memphis,he is the 7th ranked player on Rivals in the 2010 class.

Thanks for pointing that out about DeMatha....I didn't go Friday nite and was going by the program...

I also heard where Paducah Tighlman beat Mem Briarcrest but do not know the score...

Thanks for pointing that out about DeMatha....I didn't go Friday nite and was going by the program...

I also heard where Paducah Tighlman beat Mem Briarcrest but do not know the score...

They won by 7 points.I also noticed that one of Briarcrest players Elgin Lee,a 6'2 shootn guard that is ranked 17 in 08 class in Tn was not even at the game.Briarcrest have Leslie Mcdonald,Greg Wooten,and Johnny Williams all juniors,but they have nothing after that.Paducah Tilghman didnt guard the other 2 players on the court.

They won by 7 points.I also noticed that one of Briarcrest players Elgin Lee,a 6'2 shootn guard that is ranked 17 in 08 class in Tn was not even at the game.Briarcrest have Leslie Mcdonald,Greg Wooten,and Johnny Williams all juniors,but they have nothing after that.Paducah Tilghman didnt guard the other 2 players on the court.

To me the best player i saw this weekend was Brandon Jennings. He is the truth. He might be the next best thing to derek rose. Not on his level but close. He cant shoot outside that well but he does everything else you want in a pg. Leslie Mcdonald reminded me of a oj mayo with his strength in his upper body. He impressed me and will make a team happy to have his services for that year anyways. Greg wooten impressed me. He is a good all around guard. Joe Jackson had a bad game. Because if i seen him and i was on rivals ranking players he would have fallen after that game. It was a good hoopfest better than last years. Jordan son was signing autographs and he was bad. So bad that i think that the kids that got the autographs on either there shirt or hoopfest book or anything else that they got his signature is on, it might have devalued that item. So a hoopfest book is 5 dollars it is now 2.50. It would have been lower but u can recycle the paper or use it for fire wood.