Claiborne back on track!

ClaiborneBall

There have been so many accusations against everyone involved the focus has been lost which is a girl

's high school basketball team. Maybe it's not the best coach or 10 very talented girls. They are a young team and deserve the respect of their school and classmates for staying and playing under bad conditions and little spirit and support from the community. Why can we only cheer on the winning teams. We need for the sake of the girls and the team to put all this gossip and accustions behind us. Let the coach do her job this year and lead these girls in basketball, lets's give the girls some support for staying the course and encourage them to hustle a little and give it their best shot. Shoot that ball girls whenever you can. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update on the First Priority Tourney:

Thursday - Claiborne lost to Corbin 64-49

Friday - Claiborne lost to Whitley Co. 69-41

Note: The score was 53-17 after 3 quarters. Whitley Co. pulled their starters the entire 4th quarter to close the final margin to 28 points.

Saturday - Claiborne lost to Bell Co., which was 0-9 for the season, 58-54.

Next three games:

1/8 @ Union County

1/11 @ Cumberland Gap

1/15 @ Gatlinburg-Pittman

I honestly feel for these girls that are trying to stick it out, and hope they don't lose their joy for playing team basketball going forward. I just can't see a game the rest of the way they have a legit chance of winning though. The end of the season can't get here soon enough in my opinion.

Update on the First Priority Tourney:

Thursday - Claiborne lost to Corbin 64-49

Friday - Claiborne lost to Whitley Co. 69-41

Note: The score was 53-17 after 3 quarters. Whitley Co. pulled their starters the entire 4th quarter to close the final margin to 28 points.

Saturday - Claiborne lost to Bell Co., which was 0-9 for the season, 58-54.

Next three games:

1/8 @ Union County

1/11 @ Cumberland Gap

1/15 @ Gatlinburg-Pittman

I honestly feel for these girls that are trying to stick it out, and hope they don't lose their joy for playing team basketball going forward. I just can't see a game the rest of the way they have a legit chance of winning though. The end of the season can't get here soon enough in my opinion.

I agree completely, the season can't end soon enough, for the players or the fans of the Claiborne program. By the way, has Claiborne's girls team ever finished dead last in this tournament? I certainly hope the school board and administration has seen the destruction that Cook has caused and doen't extend her contract at the end of the season. More importantly, I hope she sees what she's done to the program, but I really don't believe she thinks it's her fault. She is still out there bad mouthing some of the players that left the team, when she should be concentrating more on the ones she has left on the team. I also heard another player quit the other day after one of the tournament games. I know it's a little late in the season to find another coach, but I really think that at this point she should just throw in the towel. Any Joe off the street could do as good as she's done and maybe keep a few of the girls on the team.

I attended these tournament games in Middlesboro ,Ky and I am totally embarressed for our Claiborne team.. The girls had absolutely not one good play to compete with..They are playing on grade school level..They have lost all self-confidence in themselves and have not got a chance to win any games that are remaining on the schedule..The other teams already know Claibornes situation and are laughing when we hit the court..Claiborne has got a few good players left,Nickell,Fields,Rowe and Killion and from what I hear one or two of these girls are getting ready to quit also..and if Claiborne dosent do something quick,some of these players will be playing on other teams next year,and not for Claiborne County..These girls are good players with a bad coach and no hope of being competitive the rest of this year....What a shame its come to this...Just call it quits for this season.....Bad judgement for the Claiborne Administration..Bad deal for these players who love to play ball....

The same situations went on when coach Parkey was coaching.. just as many girls quit the team.

There may have been girls quit over the years, but when did he have 8 girls in one season quit? I'm guessing never. Look, Cook's win/loss record at CHS speaks volumes about her ability to coach. They are 2-12 and she has lost 8 players since taking over this summer. Enough said!!!!!

After reading numerous posts on the Claiborne basketball program, many of them filled with negativism,accusations,and untruths ---I choose to post some facts to hopefully shed some much needed positive light on the situation.

Bottom line, there are sixteen GREAT girls who work hard in class and on the court, who respect team rules and coaches decisions and who want to PLAY basketball! They deserve encouragement and positive comments. Those few who have the negative feelings need to let it go and move on in a positive direction to whatever is in the best interest of their children.

The Claiborne boys' program has had no better season than the girls, yet only the girls program has been criticized. I've noted that only a few people have posted repeatedly. Could political and/or personal agendas be in play? It seems that "bashing the girls program and coach plan" was in place long before the season began.

Some insight on players who chose not to return to the team this year---it was simply a choice, not a problem or conflict.( Some never tried out, so technically they didn't quit.) Two have actually quit since the season began. Some of these players played previously for Coach Cook at SMMS and had a great year.

Previous posts quote "a dozen or so " but never say anything specific about what Coach Cook did to " run them off". Issues that resulted in players quitting after the season began include not complying to or respecting team rules and coaches decisions, such as wearing knee pads, executing called plays, and JV playing time geared to work on personal strengths and weaknesses and also to help the team win !! These issues could have and should have been negotiated and resolved.

Players quit or do not return for varied reasons.This happened under the previous coach also--One is now playing for Oak Ridge HS, one for Middlesboro HS,etc. Sade Wiley-Gatewood quit playing for the best coach in the nation, Pat Summitt and missed being a part of a national championship!!

Some facts on Coach Cook----Prior to teaching and coaching, she earned two degrees in education and guidance at LMU , where she lettered in three sports. She has a very respectable teaching/coaching history---In seven years at SMMS (in Claiborne County)she compiled a 160-14 win/loss record, won six county championships and coached a high school age AAU team to a sub-state title. These facts were reported in a Knoxville newspaper .(This AAU team was comprised of mostly Claiborne County girls who went on to play for the previous coach). She then , spent two years teaching/coaching in Union County where she improved the team this past year to 12 wins. In previous years there were only 5 wins total. Two players quit there--one to pursue another sport of interest , the other has quit again this year under the new coach there. They are having an improved season this year also (perhaps at least in part due to the previous years under Coach Cook).

In both counties, Coach Cook was admired and supported by the administration, fellow teachers and coaches, parents, students, and players. This year---She again was chosen by the Claiborne administration from among several applicants.

The best predictor of future coaching is past coaching. A fact: Coach Cook has a phenomonal win/loss record in the previous 10 years !! Has she made mistakes? Certainly! Has she yelled at players? Of course! She also has given countless hours year round to coaching school teams,AAU teams,and Jr. pro teams. She shows concern for the girls on and off the court keeping up with their grades and encouraging them to be leaders and good role models at school and in life. She has talked with and visited colleges with several players. Why would Claiborne not want a coach with this kind of a resume?Without Coach Cook Claiborne would most certainly miss out on a great , caring coach and role model for their children. What a shame that would be !!

How about some positive and encouraging posts? --ENOUGH NEGATIVITY !-----IT HELPS NOTHING!!!!

/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> I dont understand how Coach Cook had lasted this long. These girls have no desire to play and you can tell it when they step out on the floor they looked so sad just waiting on another lose. This is the worse season that Claiborne girls have had in forever.

After reading numerous posts on the Claiborne basketball program, many of them filled with negativism,accusations,and untruths ---I choose to post some facts to hopefully shed some much needed positive light on the situation.

Bottom line, there are sixteen GREAT girls who work hard in class and on the court, who respect team rules and coaches decisions and who want to PLAY basketball! They deserve encouragement and positive comments. Those few who have the negative feelings need to let it go and move on in a positive direction to whatever is in the best interest of their children.

The Claiborne boys' program has had no better season than the girls, yet only the girls program has been criticized. I've noted that only a few people have posted repeatedly. Could political and/or personal agendas be in play? It seems that "bashing the girls program and coach plan" was in place long before the season began.

Some insight on players who chose not to return to the team this year---it was simply a choice, not a problem or conflict.( Some never tried out, so technically they didn't quit.) Two have actually quit since the season began. Some of these players played previously for Coach Cook at SMMS and had a great year.

Previous posts quote "a dozen or so " but never say anything specific about what Coach Cook did to " run them off". Issues that resulted in players quitting after the season began include not complying to or respecting team rules and coaches decisions, such as wearing knee pads, executing called plays, and JV playing time geared to work on personal strengths and weaknesses and also to help the team win !! These issues could have and should have been negotiated and resolved.

Players quit or do not return for varied reasons.This happened under the previous coach also--One is now playing for Oak Ridge HS, one for Middlesboro HS,etc. Sade Wiley-Gatewood quit playing for the best coach in the nation, Pat Summitt and missed being a part of a national championship!!

Some facts on Coach Cook----Prior to teaching and coaching, she earned two degrees in education and guidance at LMU , where she lettered in three sports. She has a very respectable teaching/coaching history---In seven years at SMMS (in Claiborne County)she compiled a 160-14 win/loss record, won six county championships and coached a high school age AAU team to a sub-state title. These facts were reported in a Knoxville newspaper .(This AAU team was comprised of mostly Claiborne County girls who went on to play for the previous coach). She then , spent two years teaching/coaching in Union County where she improved the team this past year to 12 wins. In previous years there were only 5 wins total. Two players quit there--one to pursue another sport of interest , the other has quit again this year under the new coach there. They are having an improved season this year also (perhaps at least in part due to the previous years under Coach Cook).

In both counties, Coach Cook was admired and supported by the administration, fellow teachers and coaches, parents, students, and players. This year---She again was chosen by the Claiborne administration from among several applicants.

The best predictor of future coaching is past coaching. A fact: Coach Cook has a phenomonal win/loss record in the previous 10 years !! Has she made mistakes? Certainly! Has she yelled at players? Of course! She also has given countless hours year round to coaching school teams,AAU teams,and Jr. pro teams. She shows concern for the girls on and off the court keeping up with their grades and encouraging them to be leaders and good role models at school and in life. She has talked with and visited colleges with several players. Why would Claiborne not want a coach with this kind of a resume?Without Coach Cook Claiborne would most certainly miss out on a great , caring coach and role model for their children. What a shame that would be !!

How about some positive and encouraging posts? --ENOUGH NEGATIVITY !-----IT HELPS NOTHING!!!!

There is no negativity towards the girls who are playing now at all. They are all great girls. they just haven't had their fill of this "wonderful" coach you speak of. Its really easy to sit back and say positive things when you have not been affected by the situation. and once AGAIN I say that the reasons these EIGHT girls quit, (and yes I say eight) has absolutely nothing to do with them being yelled at. If Cook were such a great person, looks to me like the girls would still be playing for her. You honestly want to say that these girls quit over knee pads? thats funny. Maybe people would be positive if there was any reason to be. There is none, so you might as well sit back and listen to all the complaints. A huge thank you to the administration for putting a coach in who ruins our season and runs good players off the team!

There is no negativity towards the girls who are playing now at all. They are all great girls. they just haven't had their fill of this "wonderful" coach you speak of. Its really easy to sit back and say positive things when you have not been affected by the situation. and once AGAIN I say that the reasons these EIGHT girls quit, (and yes I say eight) has absolutely nothing to do with them being yelled at. If Cook were such a great person, looks to me like the girls would still be playing for her. You honestly want to say that these girls quit over knee pads? thats funny. Maybe people would be positive if there was any reason to be. There is none, so you might as well sit back and listen to all the complaints. A huge thank you to the administration for putting a coach in who ruins our season and runs good players off the team!

You know, I had to think a few minutes before posting anything else because it just bumps this topic up for another round of reply posts.

1. Bat20, I echo your comments. It makes a huge difference how one feels about this situation when it's their kid that is being affected. Each player only has eight semesters of eligibility and to burn away a year over a situation like this is about unforgivable, plus the seniors will have a bad high school memory for the rest of their lives.

2. There have been constructively critical comments about the boys team as well, within this topic and over in the boys basketball forum.

3. It's easy to spin someone's accomplishments to support an argument for either side. In the end, it's the players that must be satisfied with their team and how they are being coached. Many coaches go through "eras" of great accomplishments but then lose their touch for whatever reason and refuse to adapt their style and philosophy to turn things around. A frequent example of that is Bobby Knight, even in light of his record for most wins in mens college basketball and multiple national championships at Indiana, he is widely regarded as being resistant to change with the times, and it hurt him dearly his last few years in Bloomington.

4. This is a delicate balancing act for the administration, because there is so much division. It's way too easy for them to let this play out until the end of the year and simply not renew the contract. What they need to realize though, is this situation has created so much ill will towards them for their lack of action that a lot of constituent parents will not forget come election time. The county primary election May 6th and the general election August 7th just might be interesting.

5. Even though only a few people have posted on this particular topic, I know personally there are a lot of people discussing it around town and at work, and are reading these posts. Some of the posts reflect a common opinion among a group of parents, not just one person. It is naive to think that 2-3 people that are actually posting are the only ones with "an agenda" or upset about the situation.

Let's cheer for and support the team the rest of the season as much as we can. Let's show up and make some noise at Union County Tuesday night everyone!

You know, I had to think a few minutes before posting anything else because it just bumps this topic up for another round of reply posts.

1. Bat20, I echo your comments. It makes a huge difference how one feels about this situation when it's their kid that is being affected. Each player only has eight semesters of eligibility and to burn away a year over a situation like this is about unforgivable, plus the seniors will have a bad high school memory for the rest of their lives.

2. There have been constructively critical comments about the boys team as well, within this topic and over in the boys basketball forum.

3. It's easy to spin someone's accomplishments to support an argument for either side. In the end, it's the players that must be satisfied with their team and how they are being coached. Many coaches go through "eras" of great accomplishments but then lose their touch for whatever reason and refuse to adapt their style and philosophy to turn things around. A frequent example of that is Bobby Knight, even in light of his record for most wins in mens college basketball and multiple national championships at Indiana, he is widely regarded as being resistant to change with the times, and it hurt him dearly his last few years in Bloomington.

4. This is a delicate balancing act for the administration, because there is so much division. It's way too easy for them to let this play out until the end of the year and simply not renew the contract. What they need to realize though, is this situation has created so much ill will towards them for their lack of action that a lot of constituent parents will not forget come election time. The county primary election May 6th and the general election August 7th just might be interesting.

5. Even though only a few people have posted on this particular topic, I know personally there are a lot of people discussing it around town and at work, and are reading these posts. Some of the posts reflect a common opinion among a group of parents, not just one person. It is naive to think that 2-3 people that are actually posting are the only ones with "an agenda" or upset about the situation.

Let's cheer for and support the team the rest of the season as much as we can. Let's show up and make some noise at Union County Tuesday night everyone!

This one is starting to wear me out! Can we move on to something else? Nothing's gonna change this year and hammering Coach Cook is not the answer. Let's support the girls and finish the season as best we can then let's see what the future holds.