krichunaka

1) Cloudland

2) Unicoi County

3) Happy Valley

4) Unaka

5) Elizabethton

6) Hampton

7) Johnson County

Only one game for Cloudland (eight-and-one) last week. Same this week as the Lady Highlanders host Chuckey Doak, before breaking for a few days, then the Harriman Christmas Tournament.

Unicoi County county's schedule shows no games from the time the thrashed the Lady Cyclones until they play in the

Daniel Boone Christmas Classic. Will the momentum continue from the huge win over Elizabethton?

Cara Bowling hit for twenty-six, and Hannah Banks had thirty six points in this week's two games to lead the Lady

Warriors. Bowling is one of our area's very good freshmen, and Banks appears the team leader for the Happy Valley. Summer Ward played well in the paint against the bigger Lady 'Blazers.

The Lady Rangers looked very good at home against Cosby Tuesday night. They looked average in Mitchell County,

North Carolina on Thursday. The physicality of the Mountaineers, and Unaka's inability to protect the basketball were the primary differences in the game. A repeat of the Cosby performance, and Unaka will win on Warrior Hill Tuesday. A repeat of the North Carolina showing, and they could get spanked by the very aggressive Lady Warrior defense.

The Lady Cyclones are much better than they played in Erwin. They showed the perimeter firepower in Mountain

City that they lacked against Unicoi County three nights earlier. Which gets back to consistency. Or lack of. As with the Lady Rangers, the Lady Cyclones are a huge challenge for anyone IF they hit perimeter shots. They will be challenged in Greeneville Tuesday, before breaking for Christmas. The Daniel Boone Christmas Classic could match them up with Daniel Boone. That could be a great game.

Hampton needs a win at home against Johnson County to establish some much-needed momentum heading into

conference play. The Lady Bulldogs play at Happy Valley this Friday, giving us a Ladies - Warriors, Bulldogs, and Rangers contrast.

Johnson County looks pretty good for short spells. Then they look just awful. The Lady Longhorns have a senior-laden class, and they'll need that leadership if they are to have success in the upcoming brutal conference schedule.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Cloudland ( Overtime win over Unicoi Co. puts them in the one spot )

2. Unicoi Co. ( Beat Elizabethton by 22, playing well right now )

3. Elizabethton ( Four losses are all to good teams and they were in three of those games )

4. Happy Valley ( Holding in the four slot, must beat someone above them to move up )

5. Unaka ( Up and down, hard to tell how good they are )

6. Hampton ( Scrappy, but small )

7. Johnson Co. ( Lost to Elizabethton by 47 at home, Ouch! )

I think Krich just likes to stir the Cyclone faithful up with his weekly rankings. If Elizabethton is the fifth best team in this poll, then I am a monkey's uncle. Granted they have lost four games, but two losses were to a very good Tennessee High team, one was to a talented Archbishop Carroll team, and they played their worst game of the season against Unicoi Co. Elizabethton owns a win over Morristown West, who beat #1 Cloudland and the Lady Cyclones beat Johnson Co. by 47 points, while Cloudland beat them by 13. We have a long way to go and this will all work itself out by February. I believe Cloudland will win their district and have the Seven's best chance to reach Murfreesboro. The AA league is too close to call, though South Greene and Unicoi Co. have a slight lead on the lady Cyclones right now. January's games should be very interesting. Go Cyclones!!!!!!

A little more insight to the rankings with the games played last week. Even more should be known after this week. Still must give the number 1 ranking to the Cyclones this week (just kidding King, Krich & Highlander). Wouldn't want you to go off on why the Highlanders get no respect. After Elizabethton's loss to Unicoi moves the Highlanders up to the number 1 position (which they deserve). Can't understand Krich why you would move the Cyclones down to the number 5. Think some of the Cyclone faithful have ticked you off (which I could understand), but don't think they could fall below the 3rd spot. Again I would ask for your reasoning. I did read your post but still wasn't sure why they dropped so low. Also would be interested in your reasoning to rank Unaka above them and Hampton. Not sure they have proven themselves to be in that spot. Happy Valley continues to be a close 4th place team. Capable of upsetting any of the top 3. Do believe Hampton will beat Unaka but should be a very close and interesting game to watch. Johnson County will remain the number 7 team throughout the year.

1. Cloudland

2. Unicoi

3. Elizabethton

4. Happy Valley

5. Hampton

6. Unaka

7. Johnson County

Krich,

Only one slight correction to your posting. Cloudland has two games this week, Monday against Chuckey-Doak and Friday against Mitchell County in Roan Mountain. If you don't have a game to go to, we can use support from the Tennessee side when Mitchell comes to town!

The Highlander

Thanks for the reminder. And to think, I had already planned to be in Roan Mountain for that one. Sorry for the oversight.

Sorry, Uncle, Didn't mean to hit so hard, this early in season. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" And you're actually right. Elizabethton is probably the third, or fourth-best team in the area but losing three of the last four isn't very impressive. And with due respect to the Lady Vikings, the same argument could be made on behalf of the Lady Rangers concerning Stone Memorial, South Greene, Mitchell County, North Greene - - some very good competition early in the season for both teams. And it doesn't help that those same Lady Vikings beat you more the second go around, than the first.

Screenandroll, No one has ticked me off. The more dialogue/discussion/disagreement, the merrier. In fact, I'm getting ready to make a speech. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Some of us (not to mention any names) continued to insist on basing rankings on bias and ignorance, and while you haven't seen the teams you're judging, you have no concrete knowledge upon which to base your rankings, predictions, comments. There has been this stubborn persistence that the round-robin of Cloudland, Elizabethton, and Morristown West should be the sole determinant, until another common opponent could be referenced. Well, now that common opponent is Erwin, and unfortunately, things didn't go as planned for EHS; and this, just a week after the Lady Highlanders won by five in overtime at Unicoi County. Of course, we could use the margin-of-victory over another common opponent, Johnson County, which would only lead us back to the margin-of-victory, or in this case, margin-of-loss, against the Lady Blue Devils, but surely you don't want to go there?

As for Unaka's ranking, you have nothing to go on. Not really. I do. Have you seen Stone Memorial this season? How about undefeated Mitchell County, North Carolina? South Greene? North Greene? All those teams defeated Unaka. The Lady Rangers should have beaten North Greene, and they should've at least played South Greene very close to the final buzzer. However, the shots weren't falling in against the Lady Rebels, and there was major foul trouble against North Greene. The fact that Brittany Scott was sick during both games didn't help (Consider, if you will, facing the Lady Rebels with an absent or ailing Mariah Pietrowski). And Stone Memorial? How about

sixteen-percent from the field for Unaka?

There also appears a tendency here, by some, to downgrade certain teams' opponents, while at the same time, glorifying others, depending on which team one pulls for. Or against. Well, Unaka's losses weren't to nobodies. Incidentally, how many times have we seen Unaka play this season? Last season? The past few seasons?

I didn't downgrade Elizabethton based on their loss to the Lady Vikings. I downgraded them because I thought they should have won. I'm sure Len Dugger thinks Elizabethton should have won. But take comfort. I don't dare believe that Unicoi County is twenty-two points better than Elizabethton, and I'm certain Glenn Fisher doesn't anticipate the remaining games with the Lady Cyclones being double-digit wins. Likewise, I also expect that playing Elizabethton will be a match-up nightmare for Happy Valley, just as I know Unaka faces a huge challenge against the Lady Warriors. Just as I think Unaka would pose an incredible challenge for Elizabethton. I can assure you that Cloudland, isn't taking Unaka lightly. Likewise, Unaka often struggles with Hampton, and there's no reason to think that this season will be different. And on and on.

Ultimately, it's not that difficult for me to move my beloved Lady Rangers up and down, from fifth to third, back to fifth, sixth, whatever. Try it. It's not all that difficult to be at least somewhat objective. But I've never ranked Elizabethton or Unaka, or any team, above, or below where I honestly believe they deserve to be. Having said that, I think that, based on the several practices I've seen, and on the games played - wins and losses - Unaka is as good as five of the other six teams, and that by season's end, this will be proven. There have been a few very-difficult, and controversial personnel changes. There will be various other adjustments before the enormous potential of this team is realized. But like Elizabethton, until they develop consistency with their second, third, and even fourth options, they're very beatable.

I have to support Krich. I haven't seen all the teams play and I don't feel like I'm competent to rank them. That is why I never have. Later in the season, when I've at least watched them all play a game, I might feel more qualified. But if you look objectively, with apologies to Johnson County, any one of them could beat any other on a given night. I do not think Unicoi is 22 better than Eton for instance. And I know the two worst games of the year for Cloudland were against MoWest and Johnson Co. because I know our girls VERY well. I will go out on a limb and say for certain that none of you know which of our girls was upset over a problem with a boyfriend, test stress, etc. But I do. I just do not have the same level of knowledge about Unicoi for instance.

Hampton and Unaka will both surprise someone big this year. Cloudland/Hampton and Cloudland/Unaka are always competitive, no matter what else happens in the year, they will be up for those two games. It's nice to see that we have this many area teams with pretty good parity. Just keep the in-fighting amongst ourselves, and support all our area teams when we venture "Out of Area!"

The Highlander

Some of us (not to mention any names) continued to insist on basing rankings on bias and ignorance, and while you haven't seen the teams you're judging, you have no concrete knowledge upon which to base your rankings, predictions, comments. There has been this stubborn persistence that the round-robin of Cloudland, Elizabethton, and Morristown West should be the sole determinant, until another common opponent could be referenced. Well, now that common opponent is Erwin, and unfortunately, things didn't go as planned for EHS; and this, just a week after the Lady Highlanders won by five in overtime at Unicoi County. Of course, we could use the margin-of-victory over another common opponent, Johnson County, which would only lead us back to the margin-of-victory, or in this case, margin-of-loss, against the Lady Blue Devils, but surely you don't want to go there?

As for Unaka's ranking, you have nothing to go on. Not really. I do. Have you seen Stone Memorial this season? How about undefeated Mitchell County, North Carolina? South Greene? North Greene? All those teams defeated Unaka. The Lady Rangers should have beaten North Greene, and they should've at least played South Greene very close to the final buzzer. However, the shots weren't falling in against the Lady Rebels, and there was major foul trouble against North Greene. The fact that Brittany Scott was sick during both games didn't help (Consider, if you will, facing the Lady Rebels with an absent or ailing Mariah Pietrowski). And Stone Memorial? How about

sixteen-percent from the field for Unaka?

There also appears a tendency here, by some, to downgrade certain teams' opponents, while at the same time, glorifying others, depending on which team one pulls for. Or against. Well, Unaka's losses weren't to nobodies. Incidentally, how many times have we seen Unaka play this season? Last season? The past few seasons?

I didn't downgrade Elizabethton based on their loss to the Lady Vikings. I downgraded them because I thought they should have won. I'm sure Len Dugger thinks Elizabethton should have won. But take comfort. I don't dare believe that Unicoi County is twenty-two points better than Elizabethton, and I'm certain Glenn Fisher doesn't anticipate the remaining games with the Lady Cyclones being double-digit wins. Likewise, I also expect that playing Elizabethton will be a match-up nightmare for Happy Valley, just as I know Unaka faces a huge challenge against the Lady Warriors. Just as I think Unaka would pose an incredible challenge for Elizabethton. I can assure you that Cloudland, isn't taking Unaka lightly. Likewise, Unaka often struggles with Hampton, and there's no reason to think that this season will be different. And on and on.

Ultimately, it's not that difficult for me to move my beloved Lady Rangers up and down, from fifth to third, back to fifth, sixth, whatever. Try it. It's not all that difficult to be at least somewhat objective. But I've never ranked Elizabethton or Unaka, or any team, above, or below where I honestly believe they deserve to be. Having said that, I think that, based on the several practices I've seen, and on the games played - wins and losses - Unaka is as good as five of the other six teams, and that by season's end, this will be proven. There have been a few very-difficult, and controversial personnel changes. There will be various other adjustments before the enormous potential of this team is realized. But like Elizabethton, until they develop consistency with their second, third, and even fourth options, they're very beatable.

Finally, Krich we get you to speak your mind. All to much this season you have tried to be mr. nice guy and hide your true thoughts. I'm not talking about downing players but we haven't seen you true opinions on where each team stands and how you think each team should preform. Everyone on here has their favorite team and for sure that plays into effect of their rankings, but sometimes the only way to predict or spectulate on the rankings is through common opponents. Until each team faces each other then there is no for sure way to rank. That's what each ranking is, one person's view on how they think each team stands compared to the other. And that's what it is an opinion poll. All I have ever asked you or anyone else is why they rank the teams where you do. I"m not saying your rankings are wrong and mine are right, I'm just asking your reasoning. I gladly share my thoughts and opinions on why I rank the teams where I do. Is some on spectulation and just a "gut" feeling, sure. That's why it's my rankings. I just like to try and understand everyone else's thoughts and insights, especially on "their" teams. That always gives me even more reasons to rank where I do. Comparing players, coaches, etc. is not downing anyone or anybody. All teams have strenghts and weaknesses. Some match up better with some teams than they do others. As far as saying this person was sick, this person was stressed or what ever the bottom line is who wins and who loses. Each team every night faces some type of adversity. Sometimes it's big other times just small. We as outsiders do not know exactly what goes on with both teams inside the locker room. Maybe we do with one but not both. As for the margin of victory should play little or no part in determining how one team would compare with another. Too many variables come into play when you talk about margin of victory. Will I continue to question your and others rankings, you bet. I like for you to have to defend and rationalize your rankings. Don't take that personal. That's what makes this thread worth while.

Now Krich, anytime you want to make a speech, have at it. We all sit at our computers just waiting for your insights and great wisdom. And know that each time you speak your mind the Highlander will be there to support you.

Finally, Krich we get you to speak your mind. All to much this season you have tried to be mr. nice guy and hide your true thoughts. I'm not talking about downing players but we haven't seen you true opinions on where each team stands and how you think each team should preform. Everyone on here has their favorite team and for sure that plays into effect of their rankings, but sometimes the only way to predict or spectulate on the rankings is through common opponents. Until each team faces each other then there is no for sure way to rank. That's what each ranking is, one person's view on how they think each team stands compared to the other. And that's what it is an opinion poll. All I have ever asked you or anyone else is why they rank the teams where you do. I"m not saying your rankings are wrong and mine are right, I'm just asking your reasoning. I gladly share my thoughts and opinions on why I rank the teams where I do. Is some on spectulation and just a "gut" feeling, sure. That's why it's my rankings. I just like to try and understand everyone else's thoughts and insights, especially on "their" teams. That always gives me even more reasons to rank where I do. Comparing players, coaches, etc. is not downing anyone or anybody. All teams have strenghts and weaknesses. Some match up better with some teams than they do others. As far as saying this person was sick, this person was stressed or what ever the bottom line is who wins and who loses. Each team every night faces some type of adversity. Sometimes it's big other times just small. We as outsiders do not know exactly what goes on with both teams inside the locker room. Maybe we do with one but not both. As for the margin of victory should play little or no part in determining how one team would compare with another. Too many variables come into play when you talk about margin of victory. Will I continue to question your and others rankings, you bet. I like for you to have to defend and rationalize your rankings. Don't take that personal. That's what makes this thread worth while.

Now Krich, anytime you want to make a speech, have at it. We all sit at our computers just waiting for your insights and great wisdom. And know that each time you speak your mind the Highlander will be there to support you.

SNR,

Actually I was supporting Krich's thought process and right to his views. I respect his opinion, knowledge, and love of our area basketball.

as for his rankings, I don't agree with them to be honest.

The Highlander

SNR,

Actually I was supporting Krich's thought process and right to his views. I respect his opinion, knowledge, and love of our area basketball.

as for his rankings, I don't agree with them to be honest.

The Highlander

Don't be fooled. I didn't want it to come to this, but truth be known, The Highlander is AKA - "NumberOneRangerLover." His entire thinking process - his life, for crying out loud - is centered around his beloved Ladies of The Creek. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Screen, you really have seen my true feelings all along. I haven't wavered on who I think should be rated where each week. But you have a valid point. Maybe position-by-position comparisons could be done tactfully, but I'm very skeptical. However, I cautiously began to name a few standout players in the earlier threads. So far, so good. If you truly think we could keep it civil here, I'm all for it. After all, I'm not the board monitor. But based on history, as a general rule, when a person is named, especially in a comparative nature, the vultures begin to circle.

And on that note, as we approach Christmas break:

Who are the All-Stars?

Player of the (half) Year?

Freshman? There are some very good ones throughout the Tri-County area.

Don't be fooled. I didn't want it to come to this, but truth be known, The Highlander is AKA - "NumberOneRangerLover." His entire thinking process - his life, for crying out loud - is centered around his beloved Ladies of The Creek. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Screen, you really have seen my true feelings all along. I haven't wavered on who I think should be rated where each week. But you have a valid point. Maybe position-by-position comparisons could be done tactfully, but I'm very skeptical. However, I cautiously began to name a few standout players in the earlier threads. So far, so good. If you truly think we could keep it civil here, I'm all for it. After all, I'm not the board monitor. But based on history, as a general rule, when a person is named, especially in a comparative nature, the vultures begin to circle.

And on that note, as we approach Christmas break:

Who are the All-Stars?

Player of the (half) Year?

Freshman? There are some very good ones throughout the Tri-County area.

I always thought you and the Highlander seemed to think alike. Do you compare notes each night or just send secret messages to each other before posting?

I do wish we all could break down positions. coaches, etc., and not take it personal. I do remember some of the posts from last year and some people couldn't understand because a kid had a weakness of going left, that it didn't make them a bad person. Even if that kid reads these posts (which they should find something better to do) they should realize it is not a put down put just an honest opinion on their game and could be an area that needed improvement.

Some outstanding players this year so far have been: Johnson (Cloudland) Little Pet (Elizabethton) Manior (Unicoi) Banks (Happy Valley) Scott (Unaka) and Oliver (Hampton). I have not seen Johnson County play so I couldn't tell about them.

Each team has their own mvp but if the stats were listed (wish the ones that had access to these would do this) I would say Scott (Unaka) would probably be leading the area in many of the catogerioes.

Bowling (Happy Valley) has been one of the best freshman I've seen in a while. If her game continues to improve she will be an outstanding player.

What are your thougths?