Wrestlers taking everything to the edge of the mat!

CHATTWRESTLING

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

most matches i seen when the wrestler do this, the ref say it in.

The first time I saw this used was a mid-level wrestler at 189 who took down an eventual state medalist with the move three or four times and beat him in an upset. Most of the times that I have seen it, the successful takedown starts six or seven feet from the edge, and he drives his opponent to the edge and out and when the guy relaxes thinking they are both out the successful wrestler goes down for the knees and takes him down. The key seems to be to keep the knees up and off the mat with the toes in and most refs will score it. Touch the line with any part of the leg - no score. Those of you who have been around the sport longer can tell me if this is right.

I have seen a few really good schools use this tactic. Mike Goebel who coached Mater Dei in Indiana always coached his kids to work the edge of the circle, especially if they have a lead in a big match, that way they didn't give up a big takedown.

This is a natural outgrowth of the new rules governing freestyle and greco. These new rules, implemented last year at the junior and cadet level, changed the "nature of the game at the edge" dramatically. If you step out it is one. If you are pushed out it is one. If you throw or take down but step out first you loose one. Thus it is critical that the edge of the mat is "carefully managed" tactically by a wrestler.

My son lost the bubble in Fargo for the 171 Cadet Freestyle finals on these very rules. Won 6-0 first period and lost 2nd due to 2 calls on the edge that went against him. Lost final period 5-5 because other wrestler scored the last takedown to tie "on the edge". Ever since this match that kept him from a double finals appearance he has been focusing on working the edge of the mat as a critical part of "his game".