A Lesson Learned

options86

Not saying some of them are not terrible, but, as I was told from a couple of people I know who both watch games and ref games. "You would not believe the difference between the stands and the floor." When you're sitting up in the stands, you are looking down on the game and you can see a lot more. You can also focus on one particular area. The ref doesn't have that luxury. He/She has a list of things they have to watch for, and many players to watch. On the floor, you can't see as well. You have to stay in position, try to stay out of the way, and you have players running all around you, obstructing your line of sight.

Most refs could care less who wins, their main concern is to try not to make the big mistake that cheats a team or player. However, I acknowledge your point that there can be exceptions. The ref who subconsciously is in awe of the star player and lets them get away with more, and the ref who is conscious of that and calls more strictly on the star player, as if to make sure they don't get away with more. And the occasional ref who thinks he/she is the only good ref left in the world, and rules like a runaway judge.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> Ok! I'm in the stands...I have my popcorn or hotdog...the game begins. There probably aren't very many people who are as competitive as I am, but I have a sneaking suspicion most parents, that were athletes themselves, suffer from the same ailment that I do. We get it, know how to do it, got an opinion of it, can fix it, will win it and so on. As a senior mom, this is it for me so I have earned the right to heckle the ref, that's right, you heard me. I love to add my two cents(more like a dollar). I yell, clap, enjoy. I wouldn't want the ref's job. I like sitting in the stands letting him know how badly he is screwing up. It's the American way! (in Greenbrier)lol. My daughter's volleyball team won the state chamionship, basketball needs a little work, so until they win in b-ball like v-ball, my enjoyment comes in crying out from the stands in nicer terms, you stink! I already hear friday nights game calling to me, caallliinnnggg to me. So take up your stand in the seats, play ball, and stripes, look out! I am primed and ready to make you my target!!!!! /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

ref's wife wouldn't last long in the jc crowd. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

She shouldn't be at the games if she can't handle it. just my .25 cents (adjusted for inflation)

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Good one! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

LuvVB63,

I know you're just sayin' all that in jest, but like a Jo Byrns 'coach' said a while back when we complained about the 10-to-1 ratio of fouls on our floor: "We won despite being outsized at every position on the floor." Say what??? It's hard for 5 to beat 8, but more importantly it's unfair to the players...on both teams.

My 25??:

If a ref's spouse wants to attend their games, I think it's great. But, don't be like all those mommas I see on TV telling the world that their boy is a good person, when he's just been arrested for a murder involving drugs and has a 6-ft. long rap sheet. Puleeeze!! If your ref/husband is terrible and has no clue, don't let everyone around you know you're the better half by defending him. Heck, that's just askin' for it.

Got a good laugh out of this one. But it was a nervous laugh because it could happen to me one day.

I think the overwhelming majority of refs try to just do a good job and be fair, but there is always an occasional one that brings his ego into the gym. They are the ones that make facial expressions when fans are giving them a hard time and then blow a quick whistle on something a minute or two later to show everyone how's boss.

Around our area, and it's probably this way everywhere, the same refs rotate within the district so everyone knows them as the season goes on, and some have been around for years. For fans that frequently attend games, it's easier to figure out who to jeer and who to leave alone for risk of a technical or the wrath of a bad retaliatory call(s).

That was probably the message that was being sent. It's just too bad it got to that level and at the very least was unprofessional. It would be a good complaint to lodge with the KHSAA if you had lost the game for sure.

Thanks for sharing the story though!

I'm certainly not defending this ref, we've had our share of over the top games through the years. But I will say that as someone who has spent many years now "on the floor" either as an Asst. Coach, Head Coach, or at the Scorer's Table, I am very aware that the view from the stands is indeed quite different. I have also been dumb enough to get suckered into calling scrimmages, I am not a TSSAA official however. (And never will be!)

Yes, there are a few ref's at all levels through at least high school that take it upon themselves to even out a game, and we have had a 10-1 foul ratio against us this year as well. I've seen only a couple of cases where I thought it was intentional however. Let's face it, some times it is just plain incompetence on the part of the ref. And guess what, sometimes, just maybe, our little angel is actually...gasp...guilty.

On the floor, you actually lose the angle that you have from the stands and it makes it a little difficult to see through the crush of ten players, five in each color, that you have to watch. And while the family in the stands is usually watching their star player, the ref's are trying to watch all of them, plus the clock, the coaches, and each other. It really is very difficult to do.

And sitting at the Scorer's Table, you get to hear some of the comments from the crowd that make you wonder if the fan has ever seen a basketball game before, let alone ever actually played other than in the street. The backcourt violation no-call when a ball is tipped by the opposing team is one that usually brings howls from the fans. Actually, fan comments might make a pretty good thread too. Maybe we should start one on the dumbest things we have heard from a fan!

I'm glad our Tennessee team won the game in the end. We have had a couple of games even in Tennessee where "home cooking" seemed to be the norm. And one county in particular in our area has there own set of rules, and they seem to be making a lot of them up as they go.

The Highlander

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Good one! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

LuvVB63,

I know you're just sayin' all that in jest, but like a Jo Byrns 'coach' said a while back when we complained about the 10-to-1 ratio of fouls on our floor: "We won despite being outsized at every position on the floor." Say what??? It's hard for 5 to beat 8, but more importantly it's unfair to the players...on both teams.

My 25??:

If a ref's spouse wants to attend their games, I think it's great. But, don't be like all those mommas I see on TV telling the world that their boy is a good person, when he's just been arrested for a murder involving drugs and has a 6-ft. long rap sheet. Puleeeze!! If your ref/husband is terrible and has no clue, don't let everyone around you know you're the better half by defending him. Heck, that's just askin' for it.

Check this one out! I was assigned to a game in a south central TN school and my wife went to spend time with her sister who taught at the school. My wife, sister-in-law, and some of her fellow teachers were watching the game. My sister-in-law's friends started heckling us. After a few candid slurs; a few especially about me; the other ladies noticed that my wife sat quietly watching the game; talking only about subjects that didn't concern the game. One of them asked her which team she was there to support. I wished I could have been there when she told them that one of the refs was her husband. She said that the comments and slurs ceased and one of the ladies left at the half and didn't return that game. She later told my sister-in-law to relay the message that she was not upset or mad and was used to people heckling officials. She understands most of it is in fun. We see it as fun and really get a laugh out of it on the way home. Yes, some of us need some work; but there's not many of us who do it for the money. I have tried to quit; but there is something about the joy of it that I can't live without yet. I don't aspire to be the best or even to work the state tournament; but, I walk on the floor desiring to do the best job I can every night.

Personally, I see it as unprofessional for a ref to call bogus calls, and have a favorite team. I have seen this numerous times. If you're going to ref, know the rules, be unbiased and for the love of pete don't single out players!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't see a call, don't make it and look at the other refs /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Fouls are 6 to 6 late second quarter I'm lead and I see the two big kids heading right toward each other going for the same spot so I say, "Easy." Does no good smash, no first contact to call, neither got there first, so I give them a, "Clean it up." Nope they are intent on beating the crap out of each other and smash together again...Bam, double foul.

Go to report, white 55, red 40 double foul white ball on the side when I hear...wait for it..."Call it both ways!"

Now I normally don't react to the crowd but I turned to where it came from and gave the WTF look and the gym cracked up.

Later in the game had a foul on white bonus coming for red, same voice, "Oh sure that's a foul you never call anything on him." The kid shooting fouled out about 30 seconds later.

Had a full gym one night, home was having a white out so one entire section was nothing but white tee shirts, late in the game loose ball kids diving, ball OOB, and a big wet spot. I call for game management and a towel when a kid jumps from 3 rows up, leap frogs off his buddies in the 2nd row and lands on the court. He whips off his shirt, gets down on all fours and starts wiping up the spot. I see a spot about a foot from my feet so I say, "You missed a spot," and point, he gets the spot and then buffs my shoes.

All very 'fond' memories.

Want to check out the refs against a school . Go see any Sequoyah High game. These kids cant catch a break. A player was told by a ref that if has caught him smiling at another team mate he would throw him out of a the game. The reason the kids were smiling at each other was because of a foul called on the other team and they gave them the ball back. bad call don't you think. /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> WHAT A WORLD WE LIVE IN.

After a 5 second throw in violation

Fan - " You can't start the count until she slaps the ball and yells break !"

I thought that was an interesteing 'concept' of the rul that I had never read/heard before. I also got a pretty good chuckle out of it.

Check this one out! I was assigned to a game in a south central TN school and my wife went to spend time with her sister who taught at the school. My wife, sister-in-law, and some of her fellow teachers were watching the game. My sister-in-law's friends started heckling us. After a few candid slurs; a few especially about me; the other ladies noticed that my wife sat quietly watching the game; talking only about subjects that didn't concern the game. One of them asked her which team she was there to support. I wished I could have been there when she told them that one of the refs was her husband. She said that the comments and slurs ceased and one of the ladies left at the half and didn't return that game. She later told my sister-in-law to relay the message that she was not upset or mad and was used to people heckling officials. She understands most of it is in fun. We see it as fun and really get a laugh out of it on the way home. Yes, some of us need some work; but there's not many of us who do it for the money. I have tried to quit; but there is something about the joy of it that I can't live without yet. I don't aspire to be the best or even to work the state tournament; but, I walk on the floor desiring to do the best job I can every night.

Fouls are 6 to 6 late second quarter I'm lead and I see the two big kids heading right toward each other going for the same spot so I say, "Easy." Does no good smash, no first contact to call, neither got there first, so I give them a, "Clean it up." Nope they are intent on beating the crap out of each other and smash together again...Bam, double foul.

Go to report, white 55, red 40 double foul white ball on the side when I hear...wait for it..."Call it both ways!"

Now I normally don't react to the crowd but I turned to where it came from and gave the WTF look and the gym cracked up.

Later in the game had a foul on white bonus coming for red, same voice, "Oh sure that's a foul you never call anything on him." The kid shooting fouled out about 30 seconds later.

Had a full gym one night, home was having a white out so one entire section was nothing but white tee shirts, late in the game loose ball kids diving, ball OOB, and a big wet spot. I call for game management and a towel when a kid jumps from 3 rows up, leap frogs off his buddies in the 2nd row and lands on the court. He whips off his shirt, gets down on all fours and starts wiping up the spot. I see a spot about a foot from my feet so I say, "You missed a spot," and point, he gets the spot and then buffs my shoes.

All very 'fond' memories.

These are good. If you aren't havin' fun, you need to quit. It's not worth it...to the players, fans, coaches...or you.

Hope you all have good nights tonight.