Best Tennessee girl's program last 30 years

eb2706

Call me jaded, cynical, or just plain paranoid, but I don't generally appreciate the accomplishments of many of these great "programs". There may be a few of them who did it right and were blessed with lots of homegrown talent for lots of years, great coaching, and great community support. Most, I fear, took advantage of the loopholes in the rules or down right recruited and cheated. Too many transfers, out of zone players, out of county players, or even out of state and country players takes all of the luster off for me. I much prefer the "Hoosiers" type stories when a small school has it all come together once in about every fifty years and wins a state title. Gleason's title last year seemed like one of those to me, but I am not from West Tennessee, so I cannot be sure. Unaka's boys did it a few years back with all homegrown kids. To me, that title is more special than throwing another Gold Ball in Maryville's football or Shelbyville's basketball trophy case.

Agreed! It is nice to see that some schools are still able to win at a high level with only "homegrown" players!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During the 90's when White County's teams were regularly ranked in the tops in the nation, all those girls were born and raised in White County. I consider myself honored to have watched all of them play from the time they were old enough to pick up a basketball. In fact even though a lot of the girls have moved elsewhere since graduating from college, most if not all of the parents, still live in White County. It's the same thing with our boys state championship teams, born and raised in Sparta.

Agreed! It is nice to see that some schools are still able to win at a high level with only "homegrown" players!

Agree totally, many legitimate homegrowns may never get any real playing time because of the girls who move. It is a much more celebrated occasion when one of these homegrown teams goes all the way. And I applaud any coach that sticks to that philosophy. I'd be curious to know how many homegrowns are starting at the top programs right now.

When I first saw this topic, somehow I just knew someone just might bring up recuiting. Shocking!

do you have any proof what so ever that any one recruits?

I think the upper cumberland is more dominant than say the east or west tn.

LA, Jackson County , Clarkrange, Baxter usuaully are in the hunt for the state. Not downing any other teams. I'm more familiar with these teams.

Proof is not essential to validate feelings and I have better things to do than spend all my time investigating "basketball factories". I cannot stop the moves, transfers, out of zones, or anything else that goes on. All I am saying is the small town, homegrown, once in a generation championships are more meaningful to me than the 12 Gold Balls in Shelbyville's trophy case. I do believe their is some validity to the "build it and they will come" theory, where you build a great program and people transfer in or even move their family three counties over to be a part of it. The fact that these are still not homegrown kids or may have been "encouraged" or offered "incentives" to transfer still doesn't give me a real warm fuzzy feeling inside. The phantom addresses, living with relatives, or daddy just got a new job offer stories make it even seedier. I would imagine many people had proof or documented these scenanigans, but either chose not to turn them in or the TSSAA failed to investigate them or enforce the rules. Enjoy all your titles, you still have to win them on the court, but they are a lot sweeter when you get them the right way. Note, I am not naming any particular schools or accusing anybody of anything, because I have no proof and do not know who did it right and who did not. I name Shelbyville, only because they have twelve titles and the thread was started about them. I have heard that players from all around were moving in to play for them, but one player from Grundy Co. is the only one I know by name and that was years ago.

Proof is not essential to validate feelings and I have better things to do than spend all my time investigating "basketball factories". I cannot stop the moves, transfers, out of zones, or anything else that goes on. All I am saying is the small town, homegrown, once in a generation championships are more meaningful to me than the 12 Gold Balls in Shelbyville's trophy case. I do believe their is some validity to the "build it and they will come" theory, where you build a great program and people transfer in or even move their family three counties over to be a part of it. The fact that these are still not homegrown kids or may have been "encouraged" or offered "incentives" to transfer still doesn't give me a real warm fuzzy feeling inside. The phantom addresses, living with relatives, or daddy just got a new job offer stories make it even seedier. I would imagine many people had proof or documented these scenanigans, but either chose not to turn them in or the TSSAA failed to investigate them or enforce the rules. Enjoy all your titles, you still have to win them on the court, but they are a lot sweeter when you get them the right way. Note, I am not naming any particular schools or accusing anybody of anything, because I have no proof and do not know who did it right and who did not. I name Shelbyville, only because they have twelve titles and the thread was started about them. I have heard that players from all around were moving in to play for them, but one player from Grundy Co. is the only one I know by name and that was years ago.

IMHO - This is not something that needs to be proved or exposed, it's just a way of life these days. This is something that a coach or parent deals with when they look in the mirror. We had an opportunity to go elsewhere, but the off the court long standing friendships, going back to elementary school won out over increased exposure on the hardwood at a new school. From what I've seen over the years watching this sport is the victories by homegrown teams, or close to one, are cause for celebration with the kids, parents, community, and coaches. A team victory with transfers look more like an AAU victory (all business). I imagine the White County teams in the 90's as posted here, may agree.

who cares where people transfer from one area to another?It is the U.S.A. home of the free. really, it is the families own business and reasons. Sounds strictly like jealousy and pettyness to me. Not many schools don't have transfers. I do know that folks enjoy winning and having gold balls in trophy cases. It is the goal is it not... to win the state, be the best, reap the benefits of being # 1 for a year. Taking your frustrations out on young ladies isn't cool. No one handed anyone gold trophies. Each team earned their trophies through hard work and plenty of sweat and tears. To accuse schools of recruiting imo is kinda derogratory towards the young ladies.