Reason's your ask to leave the game?

wildstang

I just thought it was a little on the tight side. I have coached a couple of sports on different levels and it is amazing the difference in what will get you tossed. Baseball you can come on the field and argue a call without being tossed, but don't cuss and leave when the ump asked you to. In football you can rant and rave but you have to really go off the deep end to get tossed. In basketball you are telling me that raising your hands will get you tossed? That is why I felt it was kinda tight. The best official I was ever around, both playing and coaching missed calls too, BUT when a coach made a comment he would sometimes get up next to them and tell them," I might have missed that one, now calm down" In almost every case, the coach would grin and sit down. He didn't have "rabbit ears" and would warn a coach before hitting him with the "T".

You hit the nail on the head OldSchool. The coach made a 'comment' - "ref I think you missed that one, she was clearly out of bounds, I think you may have had a bad angle at it"

This tells the official that he may have 'missed it' without having to tell him that he missed it and because he missed it - hes a horrible official.

Any official worth their 'salt' will usually tell a coach if they think they 'kick'one.

Again, its all about the communication.

BTW - You didn't answer the two questions I left for you in regards to if it would be ok for an official to address a coach like my examples. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question:

How is it not a foul when a player from Team A has dove on the floor for a lose ball, and has it in their hands, and then 3 players (or even one player) from team B jumps onto the floor on top of the first player, trying to cause a Jump Ball situation?

It looks like a stinking football game out there sometimes, and all we get is a Change of Possession, and no fouls called.

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Quick question:

How is it not a foul when a player from Team A has dove on the floor for a lose ball, and has it in their hands, and then 3 players (or even one player) from team B jumps onto the floor on top of the first player, trying to cause a Jump Ball situation?

It looks like a stinking football game out there sometimes, and all we get is a Change of Possession, and no fouls called.

:popcorneater:

Bill, loose ball situations are one of the toughest plays to officiate IMO. You have a loose ball and you have bodies crashing to get to the ball (just like they are coached to do) and you hate to penalize a kid for a hustle play that he is trying to make. It's clearly judgement, (a)did the kid crash into someone that already has posession(B) did the kid create an unfair advantage by dislodging or displacing his opponent © does the serverity of the contact warrant a foul

In addition, these loose ball plays seem to stimulate other players who were not 'engaged' in the play to jump in and 'chest up' each other.

These sort of plays are discussed at length in the 'pre-game' and we talk about it being a good opportunity to aggressively get the play stopped as soon as it is tied up. And if you will notice, most of the time the officials are aggressively 'closing down' on the play and make sure the players know that they are watching.

Good question and by the way, after your explanation of your 'chair kicking incident' you have plumetted "trash can kicking" all the way off my lists of reasons to give a T. :roflol:

Bill, loose ball situations are one of the toughest plays to officiate IMO. You have a loose ball and you have bodies crashing to get to the ball (just like they are coached to do) and you hate to penalize a kid for a hustle play that he is trying to make. It's clearly judgement, (a)did the kid crash into someone that already has posession( /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> did the kid create an unfair advantage by dislodging or displacing his opponent ?© does the serverity of the contact warrant a foul

In addition, these loose ball plays seem to stimulate other players who were not 'engaged' in the play to jump in and 'chest up' each other.

These sort of plays are discussed at length in the 'pre-game' and we talk about it being a good opportunity to aggressively get the play stopped as soon as it is tied up. And if you will notice, most of the time the officials are aggressively 'closing down' on the play and make sure the players know that they are watching.

Good question and by the way, after your explanation of your 'chair kicking incident' you have plumetted "trash can kicking" all the way off my lists of reasons to give a T. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Thanks for the explanation. I would have to say that if they were all called the way you describe, I would probably be the happiest person out there.

I am a big fan of physical/agressive basketball. I feel it is a contact sport. BUT, there is a limit to how much, and also to "when and where" the contact occurs. I am especially fond of players who scramble for every looseball/rebound like the game depends on it, because very often it does.

The reason I ask is because I just seem to see an increase of kids ending up on top of each other in a situation where the 1st person clearly had possession. If there is no possession established then I am a big fan of the "free for all" that occurs.

anyways, thanks for your answer, it is much appreciated.

Oh, As for the trash can... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Im ok being on your list as long as we are having fun with it!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> I just dont want anyone to link me to the 'jerk that cant control himself" catagory. I have been T'd up when I deserved it, and the refs and I have all gotten along great. I have been T'd up when I didnt deserve it, and I still got along with them great. There is only one time that I was ever T'd up and held a grudge about it, and that is because I asked one question "how was that NOT a foul". Player caught the ball on an inbound and as soon as she caught it, she had 3 people slam into her, knocked her down, fell on top and it was a jump ball. The ref stood in my face for 5 minutes (according to the tape) and screamed about how he was boss, I was going to keep my mouth shut, blahblahblah. I stood quietly, told him "thank you for your time, you will be sorely missed" and then turned the game tape into the MHSAA offices. Within 24 hours I had a response back saying that this ref was on his 3rd strike, and was officially done.

You seem like a very levelheaded and openminded person. I appreciate your thoughts here. and I appreciate that you put in your time for the kids each week. Thank you.

You seem like a very levelheaded and openminded person. I appreciate your thoughts here. and I appreciate that you put in your time for the kids each week. Thank you.

Thanks Bill !!

The officiating community thanks you as well for your eagerness to understand the rules and your devotion to the game and most importantly, the kids.

What are reasons for ejecting fans out of the gym? I paid $5.00 to yell and support my team. So, I figure I can do so!!!!!!!!! like it or not, I'm going to support my team. . within reason.

what are the gray areas when fans cross the line and are ejected? Maybe refs could share some of the rules with us fans so we will know when it is appropriate to yell or not?LOL

I like seeing players hustling for the ball... but I don't like seeing players dog piling each other. I'm not a fan of elbows, uppercuts, knee kicks or other antics. Playing rough is one thing, playing dirty is .....well, somthing else.

You hit the nail on the head OldSchool. The coach made a 'comment' - "ref I think you missed that one, she was clearly out of bounds, I think you may have had a bad angle at it"

This tells the official that he may have 'missed it' without having to tell him that he missed it and because he missed it - hes a horrible official.

Any official worth their 'salt' will usually tell a coach if they think they 'kick'one.

Again, its all about the communication.

BTW - You didn't answer the two questions I left for you in regards to if it would be ok for an official to address a coach like my examples. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Sorry Mr. Ref, I guess I didn't answer those questions. My answer would be that a warning should be issued first and if those comments were repeated during the game, then toss him/her. I have always felt that if the coach is in the box or on the bench and has not gotten abusive with the first comment, then you should always warn him that he crossed the line. 95% of the time this solves the problem and doesn't get the crowd involved, which you and I both know can be way more distracting than the coach!!

BTW, thanks for your input, I agree with GatorBill in that you are probably one of the better officials!!

Dang.......I was hoping everybody had forgotten about that.. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> That was soooo embarrassing..

Cascade,

You were the talk of the ballgame the other night, you gave jc fans a big laugh with the ballerina pics. Please don't drag them ole pics of you mooning everybody out. I don't think we could stand it.lol /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Lollipop must have been from rickman, cause there was one that did that some years ago.. could he be? Nah, The rickman bunch would anie up twelve bucks for coach T... They are good people down there they show there pride for there team and if someone didn't have the money for coach T they would do without there backr too!! Do the right thing Lolli and pay up or well...... you know... My kids say it is not nice to say lol /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

speaking of mooning, someone did that at high school graduation /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Anyways, cascade pluuze pictures o.k. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

i'm going to hook the dogs up to the sled and mush to clakrange. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Do I love high school ball or what??? Yes, I do. Last time I checked my blood ran blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!

speaking of mooning, someone did that at high school graduation /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Anyways, cascade pluuze pictures o.k. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

i'm going to hook the dogs up to the sled and mush to clakrange. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Do I love high school ball or what??? Yes, I do. Last time I checked my blood ran blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They did call me "MoonDog" back then.... Remember, Devilish, you ask..... /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Me during a rain storm:

Me at the High School Football game:

Me in my early years: