Pre-Season Predictions

Laydown

BigG I really liked your post. Some of the stuff will help as I approach my own kids' decisions about sport.

Much appreciated.

I get asked all of the time about my son and daughter being soccer "superstars" (they are only 7 and 5 by the way, and FAR from superstars!). My response is that I don't care if they even play soccer. I want them to find something that they enjoy and do it. If it is soccer, man, that would be fantastic. If it isn't, then I will still be just as excited to go to their piano concert or wrestling match.

Coaches can tell you that we experience way too often, the parents that want their children to relive the parents lives. I think a parent should push a child towards excellence, and maybe even steer him towards something that they could both enjoy (my son does play soccer by the way), but be careful about forcing an issue. That leads way to quickly to burn out.

Jon26, I couldn't agree with you more. Baylor was the perfect example last season (and could be the same example this season). If you can get a group of guys playing together as a TEAM, you will do some amazing stuff. I am actually looking forward to this season more than any other... I like hard work, and I like melding a team together. I spend most of my time and energy on this, and not on tactics or techniques. Those things are meaningless unless you get these guys on the same page. Just my opinion, though.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much appreciated.

I get asked all of the time about my son and daughter being soccer "superstars" (they are only 7 and 5 by the way, and FAR from superstars!). My response is that I don't care if they even play soccer. I want them to find something that they enjoy and do it. If it is soccer, man, that would be fantastic. If it isn't, then I will still be just as excited to go to their piano concert or wrestling match.

Coaches can tell you that we experience way too often, the parents that want their children to relive the parents lives. I think a parent should push a child towards excellence, and maybe even steer him towards something that they could both enjoy (my son does play soccer by the way), but be careful about forcing an issue. That leads way to quickly to burn out.

Jon26, I couldn't agree with you more. Baylor was the perfect example last season (and could be the same example this season). If you can get a group of guys playing together as a TEAM, you will do some amazing stuff. I am actually looking forward to this season more than any other... I like hard work, and I like melding a team together. I spend most of my time and energy on this, and not on tactics or techniques. Those things are meaningless unless you get these guys on the same page. Just my opinion, though.

I completely agree with being a passive example to your kids. Too often parents try to live vicariously through their children.

Recently, I heard an interview with Archie Manning. The reporter asked him his advice to parents who are hopeful that their son would one day be an NFL star. I thought that Archie's comments were very insightful. He said the best advice that he could give any parent is that they should sit quietely in the upper corner of the stadium, give positive encouragement, and never push them too hard. Essentially, he was encouraging parents to let children follow their own hearts.

G-I think that your comments are spot on, and I think it is admirable that you are not pushing Brandon. However, I don't know that I would attend a piano concert though! Just kidding. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

In this country, soccer is a totally different animal than the other major sports. You have to encourage the young soccer player to "stick with it" as there is not all of the other reinforcing elements to do that like the other sports have. I would say such elements would be our sports culture not being based on soccer, Sports Center not covering soccer very much, poor perception/understanding of soccer by the majority of America.

The biggest obstacle young players have is not being exposed to soccer at it's highest levels. You really have to make an effort to "grow" a soccer player in the US. In this country, if I want my son to become interested in football or baseball, all I have to do is sit on the couch and turn on the TV. In America, it takes constant nuturing to grow a soccer player.

Knox West returns 9 of there 11 starters this year and look to be a tough team to handle.

Bearden returns there power house offense with aaron, tommy, and ryan campbell all strong offense, but they also lost there goalie, 3 defenders, and 3 midfielders so they will have many spots to fill.

Farragut lost all there scorers but return a strong junior class with jake holt, travis bolten, tyler mottern, josh grossbar and others.

AAA in Knoxville: Besides Bearden (whom coach Turner seems to get the most out of each year, and has the All American Thomas Webster back again this year, I believe) I think Farragut has a lot of talent returning and will be good again. Look for Knox West to make some noise again. They were a very skilled and young team last season, and I believe will be even better this spring.

Speaking of All Americans, how come more people from Tennessee were not on this list. If Tom Webster was the only one and he is a very good player, why weren't there others. Seems pretty political to me. Not to say Tom didn't deserve the recognition, he does, because he's a very good player. Matt can't wait to play with him instead of against him at ETSU. Are the Coaches just not submitting thier names, or if they are submitting the names, are they just ignoring the boys from TN because they are from TN, which is what I mean by political. How does it work?

Speaking of All Americans, how come more people from Tennessee were not on this list. If Tom Webster was the only one and he is a very good player, why weren't there others. Seems pretty political to me. Not to say Tom didn't deserve the recognition, he does, because he's a very good player. Matt can't wait to play with him instead of against him at ETSU. Are the Coaches just not submitting thier names, or if they are submitting the names, are they just ignoring the boys from TN because they are from TN, which is what I mean by political. How does it work?

The number of all-Americans and all-south players Tennessee is allotted is proportional to the number of coaches who are members of the NSCAA. Also, if your coach is not a member, you are not eligible. There is no reason for high school coaches not to join. The fee is ~$75/year and your school should cover the cost. Membership includes a few perks like extra insurance, a magazine subscription...

The number of all-Americans and all-south players Tennessee is allotted is proportional to the number of coaches who are members of the NSCAA. Also, if your coach is not a member, you are not eligible. There is no reason for high school coaches not to join. The fee is ~$75/year and your school should cover the cost. Membership includes a few perks like extra insurance, a magazine subscription...

Just for the extra $1,000,000 insurance coverage, it makes it worth it.

TN only got one All American. There were about 30+/- nominations that the NSCAA coaches voted for. Only the player who got the highest number of points got it.

I would get on to all of your coaches to become members. That allows them to have players nominated, allows them to vote, and the other perks that Uniden talked about.

Just for the extra $1,000,000 insurance coverage, it makes it worth it.

TN only got one All American. There were about 30+/- nominations that the NSCAA coaches voted for. Only the player who got the highest number of points got it.

I would get on to all of your coaches to become members. That allows them to have players nominated, allows them to vote, and the other perks that Uniden talked about.

I know Coach Vice from Blackman is a member, I do hope others will follow. The boosters for the high soccer team ought to pay for this as well. Thanks for the info G.

I can't tell you how hard it is for me to bite my tongue right now. I am going to practice being mature this year.

dyersburg and westview should dominate district 14a-aa, but the choctaws from dyer county are lookin to play under the radar and suprise some people, losing only 1 senior from last years 6-5-1 team. your thoughts, laydown?

I'd give yall a very good chance. You guys have got to beat Milan to really cement your place. They were a tough team last year, and really suprised us, but lost their exchange players and a lot of good seniors. Gibson County and Trenton should be easy wins. No clue about Humbolt as this is there first year to have a team, however i'd guess them not to be to great because neither I nor anyone i know has played with a guy from humboldt(that i know of). Are yall playing Westview at home or away? I know you'll have a tough game at our house, but if yall get things together, then yall will have a shot, My prediction for yall is wins over Peabody, GC and Humbolt, draw Milan, lose to Dburg and Westview