Tri-County Seven - Week of 20 January, 2008

krichunaka

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rankings for the week:

1. Unicoi County - With their wins can't rank them anywhere but first. Even though they might not be the best team.

2. Elizabethton - Until someone else beats them in the tri-county will be hard to drop them any lower.

3. Unaka - Big win over the Highlanders. Seem to be playing better as the season progresses.

4. Cloudland - With the big loss on the creek the Highlanders will need to regroup and see if they are able to get to the level they were playing at towards the first of the year.

5. Happy Valley - Just hanging around. Better than the bottom two but not as good (now) as the top four.

6. Hampton - will tie them with Johnson County for the week. Even though they seem to be playing a little better.

6. Johnson County - Have spilit with the bulldogs and also seem to be a lot better then everyone expected.

The rush to judgment with the Lady Highlanders is a little unfair, to be polite. They've lost ONLY two games, the most recent one on the road to a very familiar rival, with an excellent coach. They're 16-and-two, for crying out loud. They're schedule is as challenging, or more so than any of of the other Six. Further, the Morristown West game was held up as the all-everything win. But last week the Lady Trojans spanked Greeneville, and we know what Greeneville did last night. Perhaps the Greene Devils will also have their way, at home, against Cloudland, Saturday; meanwhile, there's simply no justifiable rationale to drop the Lady Highlanders to fourth. They've been our best team all season. Cloudland is also the only team to defeat the number one Lady Blue Devils of Unicoi County, who thrashed Elizabethton.

krich - write down this number 35 - a true D-1 player. That is also what Dickson can score on any given night

Thanks, voice. I think we'll get to go watch her against Cloudland, in Greeneville this Saturday. The Lady Highlanders will not be out-hustled, but it'll be a most-difficult defensive match-up.

Meanwhile, Cloudland just defeated University High - Johnson City 60-49. Unaka's game at Cosby was postponed, probably to be played next week.

Lady Warriors lost at South Greene tonight. Not much of a surprise to anyone. As some earlier posts suggest the Warriors are not holding up as the season goes on, nor have they played with any enthusiasm the last few games. I don't think they were expected to win tonight, but these ladies just don't have that fire they had early on. Something has to get these ladies going...not sure what can. They are hanging in for a half and losing it in the second lately.

The rush to judgment with the Lady Highlanders is a little unfair, to be polite. They've lost ONLY two games, the most recent one on the road to a very familiar rival, with an excellent coach. They're 16-and-two, for crying out loud. They're schedule is as challenging, or more so than any of of the other Six. Further, the Morristown West game was held up as the all-everything win. But last week the Lady Trojans spanked Greeneville, and we know what Greeneville did last night. Perhaps the Greene Devils will also have their way, at home, against Cloudland, Saturday; meanwhile, there's simply no justifiable rationale to drop the Lady Highlanders to fourth. They've been our best team all season. Cloudland is also the only team to defeat the number one Lady Blue Devils of Greeneville, who thrashed Elizabethton.

The ole saying of "What have you done for me lately" seems to apply here. Unaka did just recently beat the Highlanders so in a head to head match up they must be ranked above them. Unicoi has been playing a lot better over the past 2 weeks so their move up to number one is deserving. Like I said before they might not be the best team but as for now they should be number one. The Cyclones are probably the team hardest to rank because they do not play many common opponents. With their big win against South Greene is enough to keep them at the number 2 spot for now. The bottom 3 teams will remain in those positions for the remainder of the year. Cloudland has the potential to move back up in the rankings with their remaining games with Unaka and Unicoi, which they did defeat at the beginning of the season (they have not beat Greeneville, which I'm sure you meant Unicoi). The top 4 teams are pretty close at this time of the year. But will stand by my rankings of dropping to Cloudland to 4th.

ballob, did you watch the game with South Greene? If so any idea what seems to be the problem with the Warriors. Know their weakness is the post game in the past have seemed like they were capable of upsetting one of the top teams. Not sure that is a possibility now.

I think the Warriors have the personnel to be very dangerous, even though they are thin in the post. Banks and Bowling need to dribble penetrate agressively and score or draw fouls going to the goal. If help comes to stop them, Ward should be open underneath or they can kick out to Byars and Toney for open threes. All that was against man-to-man. They should be able to shoot anybody out of a zone with their outside shooting ability, if they move the ball around effectively. They are vulnerable inside defensively, but have enough quickness to pressure the ball and deny post passes. Focus and intensity seem to be lacking lately, but they are still talented and dangerous, especially if they get motivated.

Not sure how Cloudland is justified in dropping to 4th in the Seven standings. Here's why:

Cloudland is 17-2 (4-1)

Ranked 10th in AP Poll

Ranked 14th in CoachT Strength Rankings

Unaka is 11-8 (3-1)

Not ranked in AP Poll

Ranked 45th in CoachT Strength Rankings

Unicoi is 14-6 (8-1)

Not ranked in AP Poll

Ranked 25th in CoachT Strength Rankings

Elizabethton is 13-7 (7-1)

Not ranked in AP Poll

Ranked 37th in CoachT Strength Rankings

As far as I can remember, Cloudland and Greeneville are the only Upper East Tennessee teams ranked in the AP Polls, please correct me if I'm wrong. I agree with CycloneFan, not sure that their body of work justifies being ranked fourth in the three counties.

Yes, Cloudland lost to a good Unaka team at Snavely Shrine. To the coach that knows them as well as anyone short of Matt Birchfield. Their only other loss was to a Morristown West team that isn't too shabby either. They have beaten Unicoi, beaten Mitchell County NC (ask Unaka about them) and done it with injuries to starters and a mid-season shooting "slowdown." They have the best record of any team Matt has ever had at Cloudland.

Fourth place? I don't think so!

The Highlander

Highlander, nice to have you back. Guess it took a while to recover. Just think of your team like the Tar-heels, they lost and moved from 1st to 4th. Are they the number 4 team in the nation, probably not but they must suffer some (in the polls) for this loss. The Highlanders must pay for a little while for their loss at the creek. If they play well this week, and have started off well with the win against UH, then they will probably move back up in the rankings. At this moment the other teams deserve the higher ranking. Again the big question of the group would be Elizabethton. They need to have a good week to remain at number 2, which the loss to Greeneville will not help. And your argument using the AP rankings and Coacht strength of schedule carries litte weight. Everyone knows Krich, Coachh, Cyclonefan, King (well maybe not him) and myself know a lot more about ranking teams than they do. It's a wonder our polls are not listed weekly in all major area sporting newspapers. It's a known fact Krich has more influence on the newspaper rankings than the writers themselves. I have heard of area coaches calling and offering special treatment if he moves them up in his rankings or at least gives them some props to other writers. Of course this is just a rumor but I wouldn't doubt it. I would guess that the Highlanders will make a move back towards the top in the weeks to follow. We'll just have to wait and see.

Do have a question about this being the best record ever at Cloudland? Are you sure? Thought a couple of teams had very similar records at this point and time of the season. What about the Hanson group, the Stocton group or any early group? Know they had some pretty good teams in the 90's also. Just wondering....

I agree with screenandroll. The AP Poll and CoachT strength rankings are a joke, particularly the AP poll and the CoachT strength of schedule rankings. I too believe Cloudland can climb back up, but they will have to beat Unaka and Unicoi Co. to do so. Look at pointguard12's single A poll on the message board to see how Cloudland really stacks up statewide, it is much better than the AP Poll.

First, thanks, screenandroll, for the note concerning Cloudland (I had already made the correction, but for those who hadn't read it, I had correctly typed "Lady Blue Devils," but erroneously inserted "Greeneville"). Cloudland plays in Greeneville this Saturday.

As for using the AP, or ptguard12's rankings, personally, I'll take 12's every day of the week. Incidentally, 12 has Cloudland at 10th, just as The Highlander stated. The Highlander also stated that this is Matt Birchfield's best start. Not Cloudland's.

Ultimately, the mention of "other" rankings seems like a good idea, when used to suggest that the teams that Elizabethton plays are AAA rated, or Title Contenders, but to mention that little ole Cloudland is in the top ten is deemed, by some, as irrelevant. In Roan Mounain, or on Stoney Creek, we call that "trying to have it both ways." But as we've discussed for years now, coachh17 will always give the benefit of the doubt to Ellizabethton; always has. But again, he's up front in his blind bias.

On paper, Unicoi County is our best team, and it's not really close. With their size, athleticism, depth, marksmanship, and lock-down defensive ability, the Lady Blue Devils are very impressive. However, they took it on the chin to Mitchell County, North Carolina - the team that handled Unaka; the team that Cloudland beat - and Cherokee. Elizabethton will get the opportunity to even things out with Erwin next Tuesday. Until then, Cloudland certainly deserves the higher ranking.

Kentucky beat Tennessee last night. Tennessee will drop, but Kentucky will not replace them at number 3/5. Unaka defeated Cloudland, at home; and even though I've sang the "Unaka has improved" praises, the body of work some continue to note, doesn't justify putting the Lady Rangers above Cloudland, nor does it warrant putting Elizabethton second.

Happy Valley is in a slump, but coachh17's danger warning is appropriate. The Lady Warriors didn't just disappear, but having to face Unaka, Elizabethton, Unicoi County, and South Greene in succession, was a most-daunting task.

First, thanks, screenandroll, for the note concerning Cloudland (I had already made the correction, but for those who hadn't read it, I had correctly typed "Lady Blue Devils," but erroneously inserted "Greeneville"). Cloudland plays in Greeneville this Saturday.

As for using the AP, or ptguard12's rankings, personally, I'll take 12's every day of the week. Incidentally, 12 has Cloudland at 10th, just as The Highlander stated. The Highlander also stated that this is Matt Birchfield's best start. Not Cloudland's.

Ultimately, the mention of "other" rankings seems like a good idea, when used to suggest that the teams that Elizabethton plays are AAA rated, or Title Contenders, but to mention that little ole Cloudland is in the top ten is deemed, by some, as irrelevant. In Roan Mounain, or on Stoney Creek, we call that "trying to have it both ways." But as we've discussed for years now, coachh17 will always give the benefit of the doubt to Ellizabethton; always has. But again, he's up front in his blind bias.

On paper, Unicoi County is our best team, and it's not really close. With their size, athleticism, depth, marksmanship, and lock-down defensive ability, the Lady Blue Devils are very impressive. However, they took it on the chin to Mitchell County, North Carolina - the team that handled Unaka; the team that Cloudland beat - and Cherokee. Elizabethton will get the opportunity to even things out with Erwin next Tuesday. Until then, Cloudland certainly deserves the higher ranking.

Kentucky beat Tennessee last night. Tennessee will drop, but Kentucky will not replace them at number 3/5. Unaka defeated Cloudland, at home; and even though I've sang the "Unaka has improved" praises, the body of work some continue to note, doesn't justify putting the Lady Rangers above Cloudland, nor does it warrant putting Elizabethton second.

Happy Valley is in a slump, but coachh17's danger warning is appropriate. The Lady Warriors didn't just disappear, but having to face Unaka, Elizabethton, Unicoi County, and South Greene in succession, was a most-daunting task.

Krich, was really just trying to give you a hard time about the Greeneville thing. I knew you meant Unicoi but couldn't pass up the chance to point it out. I do believe the Highlander is getting to you. He's not one of the ones that has offerred you a little something extra has he? Unaka does deserve to be rated above the Highlanders because bottom line they beat them (can't believe I'm defending Unaka and you're not). Most of the time it's the other way around. Sure Kentucky won't be ranked above Tennessee because that poll takes in all of the teams, games, etc. Our major little poll just takes into our own seven. Now if the championship went out today in the sec Kentucky would get the nod over Tennesse because of the head to head win. Correct? So I'm giving the ranking to Unaka. Like I said before I'm not sure Unicoi is the best team but as of today they are playing the best basketball. Elizabethton is playing it's best of the year with Unaka. Cloudland, with maybe the exception of last night hasn't been. That's why my rankings are the way they are. Based on who's winning and playing their best at the time. And that's the "Bottom Line"....

As for the Cloudland record I was more interested in the Highlander or King letting us know if any of the other Cloudland teams have gotten off to as good as a start as this group?

Didn't make this one. Talked to someone who stated that they were up by two at the half and came out of the locker room like a different team. Heard one of the players looked as if she wanted to foul out and did. Was told they didn't act like they wanted to play the second half at all....all of them. The Warriors problems are a hot head or two and a little bit of selfishness, I don't think the selfishness is intentional, I think they get down and feel they have to shoulder the burden alone and don't see the team...when they drive and are covered by several opponents they don't always think of the open team mates. If the Warriors stay motivated and can keep their cool, they should be very competetive with anybody in the rankings...but lately that doesn't seem to be happening. They've lost the fire they had and I don't know what can get it started back or if it's too late.

The ole saying of "What have you done for me lately" seems to apply here. Unaka did just recently beat the Highlanders so in a head to head match up they must be ranked above them. Unicoi has been playing a lot better over the past 2 weeks so their move up to number one is deserving. Like I said before they might not be the best team but as for now they should be number one. The Cyclones are probably the team hardest to rank because they do not play many common opponents. With their big win against South Greene is enough to keep them at the number 2 spot for now. The bottom 3 teams will remain in those positions for the remainder of the year. Cloudland has the potential to move back up in the rankings with their remaining games with Unaka and Unicoi, which they did defeat at the beginning of the season (they have not beat Greeneville, which I'm sure you meant Unicoi). The top 4 teams are pretty close at this time of the year. But will stand by my rankings of dropping to Cloudland to 4th.

ballob, did you watch the game with South Greene? If so any idea what seems to be the problem with the Warriors. Know their weakness is the post game in the past have seemed like they were capable of upsetting one of the top teams. Not sure that is a possibility now.