MARION and grundy players

SupaStar

This sound like a pretty good list to me. It is really tough to say who would be on an all time team though, because most of us haven't seen fifty years of basketball. I have seen parts of three decades of basketball, so I have seen some good ones. I have seen the late eighties, with the likes of David Pryor, Mack Phillips, was a sophomore in the early to mid nineties when Warren Haynes played. Those three would be my top three on the list, but I haven't seen half of these guys play, so who knows. Not sure that I would put Rudy Adams on this list, though. Some of these young guys are, but they haven't seen anything other than this decade. I have seen rudy play and he is cat quick, but he is about 5' 5'' and wasn't a terrific shooter. He was a good one on his team, but they didn't have a whole lot, I don't think. David pryor was that type of player, hustle all-out, but he was 6 feet and averaged about 30 I am pretty sure. Ask MCgrad about Mack Phillips, he was a sophomore when mcgrad was a senior, i believe. He was a smooth floor leader that could take it to the basket. The Joker that said grundy by 25 is just being ridiculous. I am sure that it would be a really good game, but we will never know. I do remember the rose kid and he was a spot shooter that could stroke it, as were a few on this list. I think someone also said nick Bryant ahead of Mark tate also? I played a tad against mark, and have seen Bryant play and this one is a no-brainer!! Mark was head and shoulders above nick bryant. Nick just used his bulk to his advantage. He would have struggled tremendously with mark and his size, and many of the big men on these lists. Just my take on it.

Hey TTP how in the world is your cousin not on this list? Nick Campbell!!!!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be included in this list is an honor in itself, considering I played HS ball back in the 90's. Lets see, most of you were 9-10 years old when I was a HS senior, so the simple fact that I am even remotely remembered is a true honor. I have the utmost respect for your ideas and opinions and thank you for the honor of even being mentioned in this list.

One thing about all time top 10's is that everyone tends to rank people they have seen, or played against (myself included) typically during the decade during or after they played. They are of course biased to guys from their generation, just like I am biased toward my generation. But come on, to be ranked below Nick Bryant. I think Nick is a stand-up guy and a good ball player, but ranked higher than me in basketball, that really hurts my feelings. That's like ranking me a better quarterback than Nick, and I didn't even play. That hurts. And not to take anything away from Jeremy Rose, he was a heck of a player, but not my # 1 and possibly not even "my" top 5. The only game I ever saw him play, he did not have an outstanding night, and that affects my view of him. I'm sure he did great things. My suggestion is to look at the #'s, they don't lie. Yes, I was and still am big, but that is not the only reason I went to college. Just so you know my "some skill" that I posessed was used at the college level from every position from the 2 to the 5 (yes I played shooting guard a few games in college). Anyway, my argument is that most, if not all HS basketball players had "some skill". Most guys never saw me play in High School when I was a teenager. You may be and likely are basing your judgement on me based on what you have seen of me now that I am in my 30's. Is that fair? If you want a true top 10, as the coaches of the last 50 years, like Jody, BB, RB, and especially Ricky Richards. He not only knows the girls, but boys too. And by all means, I am not saying I should be #1, heck, I"m not even #1 on my list, but below Nick, man check the #'s and do the math.

My #1 is Tommy Ramsey, as I played on his team. The boy could fill it up and was quick as a deer. #2 would be Craig Lewis (based on playing on the elementary team with him, he could have been the greatest athlete to come thru Grundy in 50 years), # 3 Myself, sorry I am a bit conceited, but I feel deserving. # 4 Jackie Anderson, averaged 16 ppg my Senior year while I averaged 26 ppg. #5 Chase Johnson, Got to see you play in HS, you were good then and have gotten better with age, although senile putting Nick before me. #6 Lebron Coffelt, I played against him when he was as old as I am, and he was still tough to play. # 7 Daryl Brown, Same as Lebron because I played against him when he was older, and I have heard some of the stories. # 8 Jerry Tate, who taught me all I needed to know about the game of basketball, and I was told he was a pretty tough player in his day. #9 Joe Malone, holds the single game scoring record of 54 points in a game in Grundy (without a 3 point line). I am not disrespecting Jeremy by not placing him on the list, I don't think that I would be giving him a fair shake on this as I did not get to see him play much. Sorry Guys. I have played ball with and against so many great players, young and old, from Grundy, that It is hard to pick an all time top 10. Each generation has had great players come thru its doors @ Grundy, and no list may ever match. I am just curious as to what the coaches would choose for their top 10.

As for the Marion list, I played against quite a few guys in my time. What about Ryan and David Phillips. Dave could light it up, and Ryan introduced me to tough post play in a rather rude way when I was a freshman. Warren was a true "warrior" and tough as heck to guard. We went to a few Ball camps together, great guy and tough ball player. Just thought I would throw a few other names out for your list. Wish you could ask Morkin or Jay Sanders about who they think the top 10 were.

Thanks DL for taking up for your boy. We old men have to stick together.

Mark, wow man I'm glad to see you posting.

As for my list, I'll explain, in no order

Nick Bryant- I played with him since I was 5, maybe younger. He was a Co-Captin along with me and Nat in high school. He was our leader. avg like 22 a game his senior year and prolly 16 or 17 his jr year. I always felt that if we got him the ball he was gonna score, and could shut down anyone on the other end of the court.

Jeremy Rose- I always thought he was the best player on the court no matter if we were playing Howard or Bledsoe. He was as athletic as they come and had a natural stroke. I guess he was someone I looked up to since he was an upperclassman and there for I possibly gave him more credit than what he deserves, cause obviously no one else agrees with me.

Craig Lewis - This is a guy I always heard stories about. I put him at 5 jus for the fact that I don't kno alot/enough about him. He is a guy that I love hearing stories about and will usually pick anyones brain if they knew him.

Tommy Ramsey - I played a lil pick up deal with him one time, and he was unbelievable and hadn't played in like two years. He is another guy that I don't kno as much about, but i have seen tape and he could fill it up.

Mark Tate - well I am obviously partial to you too. He plays on the same Mens league team as I do . I never got to see you in high school other than some tapes. The only reason I said a college scholly doesn't make you #1 is jus to prove the point that Rose if he woulda had any grades at all woulda got a scholly. Mark you kno what I think of you, and you were obviously deserving of being on any list.

Mark, wow man I'm glad to see you posting.

As for my list, I'll explain, in no order

Nick Bryant- I played with him since I was 5, maybe younger. He was a Co-Captin along with me and Nat in high school. He was our leader. avg like 22 a game his senior year and prolly 16 or 17 his jr year. I always felt that if we got him the ball he was gonna score, and could shut down anyone on the other end of the court.

Jeremy Rose- I always thought he was the best player on the court no matter if we were playing Howard or Bledsoe. He was as athletic as they come and had a natural stroke. I guess he was someone I looked up to since he was an upperclassman and there for I possibly gave him more credit than what he deserves, cause obviously no one else agrees with me.

Craig Lewis - This is a guy I always heard stories about. I put him at 5 jus for the fact that I don't kno alot/enough about him. He is a guy that I love hearing stories about and will usually pick anyones brain if they knew him.

Tommy Ramsey - I played a lil pick up deal with him one time, and he was unbelievable and hadn't played in like two years. He is another guy that I don't kno as much about, but i have seen tape and he could fill it up.

Mark Tate - well I am obviously partial to you too. He plays on the same Mens league team as I do . I never got to see you in high school other than some tapes. The only reason I said a college scholly doesn't make you #1 is jus to prove the point that Rose if he woulda had any grades at all woulda got a scholly. Mark you kno what I think of you, and you were obviously deserving of being on any list.

You know I think the world of You and Nick. And taking nothing away from Nick, he is atletic as heck. But I got him in basketball, just like he would kick my tail in football (among other things). Don't feel like you have to explain yourself, it's your opinion and you are entitled to express it. I respect that. Tell your boy DP0505 to get his butt back up to the gym and I will show him "some talent" again like I did last time. C-ya on the courts soon.

Hey Guys, this is Mrs. BigManT. If you know me, you know I have to put my 2 cents in. When it comes to determining if a player is great or not, I truly believe that the college thing doesn't matter. Yes, Mark went to school on basketball but he could have done that in academics as well. I am very proud of him for being the first to go on basketball but, on the other hand I am sad because their have been many great players before him and after him that should have had the same opportunity. It has been 14 years since Mark took his scholarship and I can't believe that no one in Grundy has been offered to go to school to play basketball. In fact I believe that a couple offers were made to at least walk-on to a couple of the 01 team members but they past up the opportunity. What a shame they would have had the time of their lives playing college ball. It is a totally different experience than high school ball. If any of you ever come across a senior that is debating on going to college to play ball, tell them to "go for it!!!!". Even if you aren't offered a scholarship you can walk on! I have read all of the posting, I know most of the boys on the list and believe that everyone could have gone on and played in college if that is what they wanted to do. It was Mark's dream to play college ball and he worked his a** off in high school to get that accomplished. We need to let our young people know that they can play college ball if they want to, instead of telling them that they can't because of money or grades. Anything can be accomplished if you set your mind to it.

You know I think the world of You and Nick. And taking nothing away from Nick, he is atletic as heck. But I got him in basketball, just like he would kick my tail in football (among other things). Don't feel like you have to explain yourself, it's your opinion and you are entitled to express it. I respect that. Tell your boy DP0505 to get his butt back up to the gym and I will show him "some talent" again like I did last time. C-ya on the courts soon.

Big mark, good to see you on here... Like you said i never saw you play i can only base what i have seen now, and you do have talent but i was just saying that "some talent" statement as in most players only show that off in high school and it takes college to bring it all out, there's no doubt in my mind you can play and enjoy playin ball with you. that was meant nothing personal toward you at all, just talkin about the topic. I agree we do need to play sometime soon. take care

Just confirmed Ray Pryor (1984) as a member of the 1,000 point club for Marion. He was a beast inside.

Dwayne Walters and Jeff Brown played at the same time. Both could have been members of the club if there had been a three point line in the early 80's. JB had 650+ points while DeWall had 777. Anyone who saw these guys play knows that most of their baskets would have been well outside the three point line. Another very good outside shooter that played in the early 80's is non other than Tim Murphy. His outside set shot was deadly and he could have benefited greatly from the three point line.

Just confirmed Ray Pryor (1984) as a member of the 1,000 point club for Marion. He was a beast inside.

Dwayne Walters and Jeff Brown played at the same time. Both could have been members of the club if there had been a three point line in the early 80's. JB had 650+ points while DeWall had 777. Anyone who saw these guys play knows that most of their baskets would have been well outside the three point line. Another very good outside shooter that played in the early 80's is non other than Tim Murphy. His outside set shot was deadly and he could have benefited greatly from the three point line.

i like seeing that name thrown around