Shelbyville vs. Wilson Central

basketballfan2003

It is funny how people always hear things thru 3rd party. Whoever you heard say this game against Shelbyville was a cake walk is insane. The WC players never underestimate any opponent. And for the record there was not 1 pass then a 3 point shot. If you watched the game you would have seen 2 girls doubling down on Hassell. Same strategy Burkey used on other big girls like Hassell in the past. The posts have to come and meet the ball on passes. To get the ball inside people have to move without the ball when the defense is playing overagressivly. That is not the WC coach's mindset to have the girls move without the ball. This philosophy is what helped contrubute to the loss. Also,The guards did have an off night shooting, but certain limitations and restraints in WC coaching mentality limits the guards from playing with all of their skills. The coach should take full blame due to letting Shelbyville get that far ahead and not make adjustments. The help side defense was nonexistent. The players only go by what the coach instructs, so it was to the great game plan of coach Burkey and play of Ceny Phelps and Shapara that was WC's demise.

Get a copy of the game tape and see for yourself..... OR Better yet get a copy of the Monday edition of the Lebanon Democrat.... Bud Brandon was quoted in the article saying "We took too many quick shots" "Never did work the ball and reserve it" "Several times we passed the ball once or twice and took a three point shot" I did make that statement and according to Bud I believe he confirms it. AND it was the fans seating around me that made the comment that WC had beaten Shelbyville 6 out of the past 7 games and had won earlier this year on Shelbyville's home court.

BOTTOM LINE.... Shelbyville played close to a perfect game. Wilson Central played their worse game of the year.... That combination I think spells the result of the game. I think the guard play of Shelbyville was definetely the difference. They combined for 49 points. Maybe this is a wake up call.... Sometimes you read your press clips and you get to thinking how good you are and something like this happens to wake u up. Time will tell. And Smyrna is waiting in the wings.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is funny how people always hear things thru 3rd party. Whoever you heard say this game against Shelbyville was a cake walk is insane. The WC players never underestimate any opponent. And for the record there was not 1 pass then a 3 point shot. If you watched the game you would have seen 2 girls doubling down on Hassell. Same strategy Burkey used on other big girls like Hassell in the past. The posts have to come and meet the ball on passes. To get the ball inside people have to move without the ball when the defense is playing overagressivly. That is not the WC coach's mindset to have the girls move without the ball. This philosophy is what helped contrubute to the loss. Also,The guards did have an off night shooting, but certain limitations and restraints in WC coaching mentality limits the guards from playing with all of their skills. The coach should take full blame due to letting Shelbyville get that far ahead and not make adjustments. The help side defense was nonexistent. The players only go by what the coach instructs, so it was to the great game plan of coach Burkey and play of Ceny Phelps and Shapara that was WC's demise.

Very well said Puma!

I have no dog in the hunt.....just like Wilson County basketball......but...........

watching Wilson Central games is so boring because the offense stands around like statues waiting on the coaches to make up their mind on what play they want to run. It keeps the flow of the game stagnant to not let the players he has contribute more. I watched their guards, Burroughs and Christopher, play at MJ and they can do a lot more than shoot 3's. Just imagine Hassell with a motion offense. WC would definately win the state with that!!!!

Maybe that could be their game plan "C"!! They would be unstoppable!

Go Lady Wildcats. Let this game go and pounce on Smyrna tomorrow night! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Get a copy of the game tape and see for yourself..... OR Better yet get a copy of the Monday edition of the Lebanon Democrat.... Bud Brandon was quoted in the article saying "We took too many quick shots" "Never did work the ball and reserve it" "Several times we passed the ball once or twice and took a three point shot" I did make that statement and according to Bud I believe he confirms it. AND it was the fans seating around me that made the comment that WC had beaten Shelbyville 6 out of the past 7 games and had won earlier this year on Shelbyville's home court.

BOTTOM LINE.... Shelbyville played close to a perfect game. Wilson Central played their worse game of the year.... That combination I think spells the result of the game. I think the guard play of Shelbyville was definetely the difference. They combined for 49 points. Maybe this is a wake up call.... Sometimes you read your press clips and you get to thinking how good you are and something like this happens to wake u up. Time will tell. And Smyrna is waiting in the wings.

I do not need game tape. I have been around basketball for over 35 years. Where you were sitting and gathered information, again was 3rd party dialect. YOU did not hear players or coaches spewing this out. It seems you were so into the press clippings. Isn't it odd to you that Coach Burkey took full responsibility for his WC loss 1st time around. I did not see the same reciprication from WC in this press release. YOU are 100% correct that this should be a wake up call. Smyrna and MJ are are on the WC radar. But current calculation to date is MJ is 1-3 against WC and Smyrna. None of this matters until districts anyway, and WC will be waiting in the wings.

Very well said Puma!

I have no dog in the hunt.....just like Wilson County basketball......but...........

watching Wilson Central games is so boring because the offense stands around like statues waiting on the coaches to make up their mind on what play they want to run. It keeps the flow of the game stagnant to not let the players he has contribute more. I watched their guards, Burroughs and Christopher, play at MJ and they can do a lot more than shoot 3's. Just imagine Hassell with a motion offense. WC would definately win the state with that!!!!

Go Lady Wildcats. Let this game go and pounce on Smyrna tomorrow night! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

So true, when the chocolate and vanilla offense isn't going anywhere, there has to be Stawberry coach! You have the talent, the record will speak for itself. 14 and 24 lit it up, their freshman years but have been support personel so far. But it's obvious that there needs to be something other than what we see week in week out.

The Cats have too much going for them to not make a run at state.

Go Lady Cats! Good Luck tonite.

After playing against WC and Hassell, there is no way Shelbyville could beat WC 20 points or for that matter any points unless she did not get the ball any. Twelve points is 6 field goals and of the 12 there might have been 2-4 free throws but 6 field goals is 1.5 field goals a quarter. maybe she got in foul trouble. Maybe Shelbyville played ball control. Wilson must have had a lot of turnovers along with the 2-18 three point shooting. There is no way Hassell can get only 12 in a game like that. She controls the game.

she only had 10 points, she was 3 for 10 fg's, 4 for 6 ft's, 2 to's, 6 rebounds, and the 3 fouls she did get were in the fourth quarter. schs just did an excellent job of shutting her down. team had 12 turnovers total, only one in foul trouble was the younger hassell. schs was in total control, patient, and determined. good game, refs let them play mostly. foul ratio was wc 13 schs 14. sounds fair to me.

she only had 10 points, she was 3 for 10 fg's, 4 for 6 ft's, 2 to's, 6 rebounds, and the 3 fouls she did get were in the fourth quarter. schs just did an excellent job of shutting her down. team had 12 turnovers total, only one in foul trouble was the younger hassell. schs was in total control, patient, and determined. good game, refs let them play mostly. foul ratio was wc 13 schs 14. sounds fair to me.

OK, Shelbyville 2007-2008 AAA State Champion.

OK, Shelbyville 2007-2008 AAA State Champion.

NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND

I wouldn't be dusting off a place for the '08 Gold ball just yet if I was Shelbyville.

I believe a matchup with Cleveland, Walker Valley, or Bradley Central would await in the Sub-state if the Eaglettes get that far. Not saying SC couldn't win but would be a tough way to earn your way to the state. Not to mention a balanced region with some revenge on their minds. Lawrence County is just chopping at the bit and didn't Cookeville beat Shelbyville earlier this season? Oh yeah and Riverdale is comming on also. Could be a rocky ride.

Very well said Puma!

Brad why do you and Bob Christopher like to run down your coaches!!!!

NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND

I wouldn't be dusting off a place for the '08 Gold ball just yet if I was Shelbyville.

I believe a matchup with Cleveland, Walker Valley, or Bradley Central would await in the Sub-state if the Eaglettes get that far. Not saying SC couldn't win but would be a tough way to earn your way to the state. Not to mention a balanced region with some revenge on their minds. Lawrence County is just chopping at the bit and didn't Cookeville beat Shelbyville earlier this season? Oh yeah and Riverdale is comming on also. Could be a rocky ride.

i dont see any of the first 3 teams beating schs. cookeville did beat a depleted team the first game of the season. and riverdale is just garbage. cleveland would be a good rematch tho