Henry Co. Basketball

Heisman1

I think everybody on here is getting a big a head considering we're still in 6th. This win was big for confidence but, it won't mean anything if we lose the next 3 to close the season. And Junkyard dog, Northeast had a lot of 2nd and 3rd chances so i wouldn't really say we controlled the paint. To Junebug, he was just an absolute beast last night. They couldn't stop him. Also, northeast isn't gonna go very far because they we're horrible last night. Don't get me wrong their talented but they had horrible shot selection.

You are right, we didn't just win the district but I do disagree with you on one statement. You mention them having horrible shot selection and saying northeast is garbage and won't go very far. Well from personal experience the worst defense I ever had to face was a 1-3-1, I hated playing against it because it does frustrate you and lots of times, if played right, it can cause bad shots. So when you say they are bad because they took horrible shots, you might think about giving a little credit to the defensive effort, as it was one of the best I have seen Henry put out in many years. Hope the boys can build on it.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right, we didn't just win the district but I do disagree with you on one statement. You mention them having horrible shot selection and saying northeast is garbage and won't go very far. Well from personal experience the worst defense I ever had to face was a 1-3-1, I hated playing against it because it does frustrate you and lots of times, if played right, it can cause bad shots. So when you say they are bad because they took horrible shots, you might think about giving a little credit to the defensive effort, as it was one of the best I have seen Henry put out in many years. Hope the boys can build on it.

Been a while since I could get on here!! Boy this has been a volatile room but that has seem to subside with a greta win Fri. night. Coach is doing good job and the boys are working hard. 10 AAA is an extremely competitive district so you've got to be really good and always on your game to come out with a win.

One question though. I agree with the statement that the 1-3-1 is a difficult defense to play against. So if this be the case why do most coaches insist on playing man. Why do they not play zone more if it warrants it? What are your thoughts? Congrats to the Pats on their win and I hope they continue their winning ways on Tues.

It was me who brought that up. I was hoping that the basketball team coudl drop also, but that is impossible with only 3 classes.

Make no bones about it. That would help a lot!!

the football team got better by hiring new coach (basketball has done this) and then dropping to 4A(don't think this can happen for basketball)

Check out things on Coacht schedules and see. Last year in football we barely beat Dickson and they go out in first round of playoffs (5A) we go to semis (4A). The year before same story.

This is not a knock on football, check my posts I am one of the biggest fans on here, however dropping to 4A was the Major reason for football success.

Give the basketball coach time and we will see fun times

Last year Dickson County was 6-1 in their 5A district and in second. The year before they were 5-2 and tied for second. We lost by four or five two years ago and won by seven this year. Our football team would have competed for the district title in the 5A disrict both years and probably won at least one of them. What is your point? Our girls team is tied for second and will probably finish third. They could have won it had they beaten Northeast. Our guys team will be fine now and in the future.

Been a while since I could get on here!! Boy this has been a volatile room but that has seem to subside with a greta win Fri. night. Coach is doing good job and the boys are working hard. 10 AAA is an extremely competitive district so you've got to be really good and always on your game to come out with a win.

One question though. I agree with the statement that the 1-3-1 is a difficult defense to play against. So if this be the case why do most coaches insist on playing man. Why do they not play zone more if it warrants it? What are your thoughts? Congrats to the Pats on their win and I hope they continue their winning ways on Tues.

I'm not sure about why so much man defense. I hope we can get Dickson County Tuesday. That would be bigger than Northeast. It would also be great to do it before the tournament.

Well I heard they looked at the tape and she got it off. Unfortunate, but it shows that both teams can play with the best if they put their A game in.

It was obviously good....Henry County was beat when the girl got to half court and nobody was willing to stop the ball.

Throw it in....run to the basket....what a great call by NE

It was obviously good....Henry County was beat when the girl got to half court and nobody was willing to stop the ball.

Throw it in....run to the basket....what a great call by NE

How can you say it was obviously good? If it was so obviously good, then why did players, coaches, and fans from both teams look to the officials for the call, instead of assuming it was obviously good? That girl was the best female athlete in the gym. I wish we had been able to deny her the ball, but that didn't happen. Once she missed the initial shot, the second shot was definitely a questionable call. It may have been good, but not obviously good, as you say.

We've won in dickson the last two years and sweep the series last year.

Even though this is a boys thread, they were talking about our girls team. My comment was

"who can remember when our girls last won in Dickson." Looking at the Coacht schedules, it shows that we have lost the last twelve games in the series that covers a five year period. We didn't lose to them six years ago, and that may be because we didn't play them. After going back and reading my own post, it is confusing. I was talking about the guys beating Dickson and how big that would be, but I was thinking that the girls hadn't beaten them up there in a while. I know our guys beat them last year. Sorry for the confusion.

Last year Dickson County was 6-1 in their 5A district and in second. The year before they were 5-2 and tied for second. We lost by four or five two years ago and won by seven this year. Our football team would have competed for the district title in the 5A disrict both years and probably won at least one of them. What is your point? Our girls team is tied for second and will probably finish third. They could have won it had they beaten Northeast. Our guys team will be fine now and in the future.

First of all, all I did was state an opinion. I do wish we had two high schools in Henry County and unless you are a board member and afraid you wouldn't get the job wih one school board then you could see where we would benefit from smaller schools.

I also since you are always questioning my opinions, I went on coacht schedules and took some time to look at the football schedules. NO Dickson was 5-2 in their district last year and lost in first round. This is still good and this is not meant to take anything away from FB team.

Last five years we are 31-29 overall. We have been in 4A for three years so you could take away two of those seasons, but I got tired and only went back 5 years.

2003 1-9 (1-6 vs 5A) beat Mcgavock

2004 2-8 (2-5 vs 5A) beat Mcgavock/Kenwood (now 4a also)

2005 7-5 (1-1 vs 5A) beat Dickson lost Rigeway (Rigeway semis in 5A)

2006 9-5 (0-2 vs 5A) lost too Dikson/rigeway (dickson out in 1st round/rige out in 2nd)

2007 12-2 (1-0 vs 5A) beat Dickson (out in first round)

Now what is obvious as I stated before!!!!! We hire a new coach and things get better. But the MAJOR change was going to 4A see the records show.

Now, I am for the basketball coach. I feel in time he will do the same thing Gaddis has done for football team, but that is why I said I wish we could go down in classification. I forgot that we couldn't go to AA so that is why I said two high schools.

I am done with this. I have said my piece and the proof is in the pudding!!

First of all, all I did was state an opinion. I do wish we had two high schools in Henry County and unless you are a board member and afraid you wouldn't get the job wih one school board then you could see where we would benefit from smaller schools.

I also since you are always questioning my opinions, I went on coacht schedules and took some time to look at the football schedules. NO Dickson was 5-2 in their district last year and lost in first round. This is still good and this is not meant to take anything away from FB team.

Last five years we are 31-29 overall. We have been in 4A for three years so you could take away two of those seasons, but I got tired and only went back 5 years.

2003 1-9 (1-6 vs 5A) beat Mcgavock

2004 2-8 (2-5 vs 5A) beat Mcgavock/Kenwood (now 4a also)

2005 7-5 (1-1 vs 5A) beat Dickson lost Rigeway (Rigeway semis in 5A)

2006 9-5 (0-2 vs 5A) lost too Dikson/rigeway (dickson out in 1st round/rige out in 2nd)

2007 12-2 (1-0 vs 5A) beat Dickson (out in first round)

Now what is obvious as I stated before!!!!! We hire a new coach and things get better. But the MAJOR change was going to 4A see the records show.

Now, I am for the basketball coach. I feel in time he will do the same thing Gaddis has done for football team, but that is why I said I wish we could go down in classification. I forgot that we couldn't go to AA so that is why I said two high schools.

I am done with this. I have said my piece and the proof is in the pudding!!

While I could agree with you for several educational reasons on 2 schools.

The boys athletics in football would have to beat Milan, Huntingdon, Westview, and Camden every year...they lost to Westview this year in a good year.

The boys basketball team could never get thru Memphis in the substate round of basketball. The region would be strong with Haywood Co, Jax NS, and several other schools. And the girls sure don't want any part of Gibson Co, Obion Co, Westview, Milan, Dyersburg and Dyer Co in basketball.....