Western Kentucky drops soccer program

cincyred

I agree that football certainly brings in more money than soccer, but would you say that soccer brings in less money than golf or swimming (two sports that are being graciously spared)?

I just find it funny that when it comes to cutting programs, soccer always seems to be the one to take the fall. Remember, Vanderbilt did something very similar to this a few years ago, although for very different reasons.

There is a march on campus tonight to save the team, so the students are doing what they can.

I think the problem is, though, that the soccer team was the one athletic team that was not officially in the sun belt conference.

I hope the march works, but I would be VERY suprised if it does.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the problem is, though, that the soccer team was the one athletic team that was not officially in the sun belt conference.

I hope the march works, but I would be VERY suprised if it does.

That was a reason given by the AD, but....the Sunbelt doesnt have Mens soccer..this situation is so dumb, I do know that Ben Backstrom will have opputunities to play D1 at other schools and is being looked at by many schools.

I got your back Tron

Pride,

Good times at LCHS. I believe we played you twice there, if I am right on who you are. They will miss coach Martin (at least I will). He is a great man.

I understand you playing the devils advocate. I respectfully dissagree, but I also have to admit that I don't know the "real" story. Being in coaching, administration, and working in my own business, I find that the public often times doesn't get the right or true story. That being said, it just looks really bad from an outsider's perspective. It's like the fiasco that took place at Tusculum college with the racetrack $$. There were a lot of innocent people that got hurt because of some bad apples and some poor decisions on how to handle the situation. I had players that were affected in that, too, and had to transfer out (though they kept the program, Coach C and staff left, the season was cancelled ect.) It was ugly.

Since I don't know the situation, I have decided to "quit throwing stones" at WKU until I do find out. I may never, but it wouldn't be just to judge without all of the information.

If the march does re-instate the team, I'll bet that your incoming class will still be decimated. Who would come to a school with that kind of risk playing in the background? You might have a season next year, you might not.

Again, this is not meant to offend you Pride. I have a lot of respect for you and your school. You guys have a classy and quality squad. My "pappa bear" temper took over, and it really upset me.

Tron, keep us posted, and feel free to call. You know my number.

thanks for the support. right now im lookin around and i cant say too much about it but my decision will be if i want continue playin and start over some where or just go to ut...going to ut with my friends is soundin pretty good right now but i LOVE soccer so who knows

hey tron,

we went to western camp together bro. you beat us in the semi's last year. but anyway i would encourage you to keep playing man. Take advantage of the gifts God has given you man. Let me know if I can help or anything.

Tron, he had better be going back with me to Hilton Head to do those soccer camps this summer! If you see him, please convey that message!

haha he said he would love to but he actually is working summer staff for young life up in new york for all of june...he just needs to get away for a month and serve but he did say that camp last summer in hilton head was amazing

You maybe torn, but WKY did the wrong thing here. They did it, while increasing their football program to a different level. That is the bottom line. They should have cut across the board, not one program. Kids are involved in this. A school should not be able to start a program and then cut that program because of monies. Don't start it if you can't sustain it. When kids are involved, there is no excuse! I am really angry about this, maybe because this is the second school do to this in the last 4-5 years. It's not right. WKY should be forced by the NCAA to allow the kids currently on the team with a scholarship to pay for thier tuition, books etc... to what ever soccer college prgram will have them and pay it until they either quit or graduate.

G, I know how you feel as a sport that you love is ripped from a University. I know exactly how these young men feel as their program has been pulled out from under them. I will say that this is the destiny of a mid-major college. As a former football player at WKU and a long-tenured high school soccer and football coach it has me torn down the middle. For one, I was on the team in 1992 that had it's football team scrapped. We practiced in the Spring with no fall season upcoming for three weeks while the coaches that remained were looking for places for us to play. At the end of Spring practice the board of regents approved 5-4 to reinstate the program with 15 fewer scholarships and 2.5 fewer coaching postions. They only did this because the public and alumni put pressure on them. I don't know if this will work in a so-called minor program. At that time back in "the day" football was a minor program in a basketball state. Since then football has more than a decade of winning seasons, a national championship, and all-time record season ticket sales. That is not an excuse for what they did, but if the state is calling for cuts it will be the minor sports in mens' athletics that will suffer (title IX). I am a proud supporter both in finance and in attendence for my university and truly hate that this has happened. I went to several soccer games on the football field when I played there, even though I had no idea I would coach it for 15 years when I graduated. I love coaching soccer. I love coaching fooball. I am married to two different sports during the year but get to enjoy coaching so many more kids that others. I hate that another window has been closed for their future. However, majority rules and these are the state of affairs we have to deal with. It is not right, but it is what it is. If you would like to talk in length on this, just call Coach M at LCHS and he will give you my number. I respect what you do for HS athletics and also appreciate that you have played us a couple of times over the last 4 years. Just think for a while and you'll know who I am. This may be the only post I ever make on a message board, but I this is my University and I am obligated to be the devil's advocate on this one.