Tri-County Seven - Week of 3 February, 2008

krichunaka

All the above posts about the HV/Elizabethton game have had valid points. The only thing not mentioned is what was Elizabethton's main motivation to play? I know it is a heated rival, but and I'm not really talking about the players but more of the coaching staff, their seed in the tournament was already made. Elizabethton never came out of the zone, why? I know Coach Dugger is a great coach and if something wasn't working why not try to change? Maybe they (Elizabethton) really didn't want to show too much. Elizabethton did press and had some success. Bet that was noted. Elizabethton's zone wasn't that effective. Bet that was noted. Coaches always want to win but sometimes don't go out of their way to get one. If all things go as the seeding Elizabethton might meet HV again in the tournament. Coach Dugger has been known in the past not to show everything before tournament time. Do you think this could be the case again? Do not take anything away from HV with this post. They, especially Banks, played insired basketball. If Banks was this motivated all the time they would be a much better team. The others do have to contribute and are capable of making big shots. HV's defense has been one of their weak areas all year but did do a much better job against Elizabethton on Friday. They worked harder on defending the post, as stated by Fan. They had better ball pressure on the perimeter and contested most shots. The two questions I got from Friday were, Can HV play this insired in the tournament and was Elizabethton holding anything back for the tournament?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't think EHS "held" back. The only way EHS and HV meet again is in the district consolation game (I dont see HV beating SG) and I dont think coach Dugger was thinking about that as he coached friday night. EHS has played alot of zone lately with success (SG and Unicoi games).

HV wanted the game more and went out and got it. Perhaps EHS is still struggling to get over the SG game.

In response to coachh17's last post, Anderson did not play; Jefferson played about a quarter, with about 6 min of that being when MP sat out in the second qtr with 2 fouls---Im not sure JJ took a shot; Bowling played about a qtr as well, and maybe took one shot; Powell played about 5-6 minutes and didnt take a shot.

Mariah didnt get enough shots. There were three or four players on the team with more FG attempts than her. She was 5-5 on FGs and 7-8 on FTs. However, the reason was HV's defense denied EHS the entry pass to MP. Ward worked really hard on defense staying in between MP and the ball. EHS probably should have tried the lob pass more.

Always a sore spot with parents and folks who believe "team ball" means everybody takes an equal number of shots. When you have a low post the caliber of Pietrowski, the offense should run through her. She takes high percentage shots and is hard to stop when she gets it on the block. If an opponent guards her man to man, 15 shots is not unreasonable. Even against a tight zone or double team she should never get less than ten shots. She is also a good passer and can dump off to the other post or kick out to three point shooters when doubled. Our most successful teams were inside out teams and we force fed the posts at times, but it always opened up the outside. I don't look for Coach Dugger to allow Pietrowski to have anymore five shot games in the tournaments.

There's nothing to gain by holding back now, nothing significantly new/different that Elizabethton, or any of the others will unveil in tournament play. Not many coaches want to head into post-season on a downer, so it's highly unlikely that Happy Valley got anything less-than-normal from Elizabethton. And remember, there was another EHS-HVHS game, which was anything but a runaway. Traditionally, the only thing that changes now is lesser minutes for players eight-through-ten/eleven. Again, this is no knock on the Lady Cyclones, but there are several games to illustrate that a few of the other teams are at least their equal.

There's nothing to gain by holding back now, nothing significantly new/different that Elizabethton, or any of the others will unveil in tournament play. Not many coaches want to head into post-season on a downer, so no, it's highly doubtful that Happy Valley got anything less-than-normal from Elizabethton. And remember, there was another EHS-HVHS game, which was anything but a runaway. Traditionally, the only thing that changes now is lesser minutes for players eight-through-ten/eleven. Again, this is no knock on the Lady Cyclones, but there are several games to illustrate that a few of the other teams are at least their equal.

Not wanting to disagree with you Krich (you know I love to do that) but a lot of teams don't play to their full strength when playing a game at the end of the season that doesn't hold much baring on the seeding of their tournament. Not saying Elizabethton did this but know of many coaches that don't put much stock into the last couple of games when everything is set. Will be interesting to see if Elizabethton has the same philosopy if the two teams meet again. Do agree with you that the minutes of some players are cut way down at the end of the season. Again right about coaches not wanting to be on a downer going into the tournament but they have a way of down playing certain games without coming right and saying we didn't do everything we could have to win. Must agree again, that if one of the top teams don't come to play in the tournament they could very easily be watching from the stands the next night. Believe this to be true in both Double A and Single A. Even though the only team not making it to the regional in single A is the loser of the game between Hampton and UH. Should make for exciting games in both tournaments.

Actually, I don't disagree that coaches, and players, might be more concerned with potential injuries/fatigue, but at the risk of prolonging the debate (you or I would NEVER do that), if we accept the analogy that the Lady Cyclones didn't bring their "A" game, then certainly Happy Valley fans could stake the same claim. Of course, one might argue that the Lady Warriors were fighting for the coveted fourth-place spot over West Greene, the team they have to play again this week.

No matter how I've stated it previously you try to make it about who scored what and who's kid it was. Not my intentions at all. All I'm stating is that any team, whether it be HV or whoever cannot rely on one player...whether it's for a game or an entire season. One player can drive a game, but they need assistance, they can do all they can and may change a game one way or another, but with help, not only in points or shots....it makes life easier and games more winnable. That will help HV in the future. They just haven't had anybody consistent...it's Banks one night, Ward, Bowling, Toni, Byers another...if more than one of them on any night would have a good game it would change the Warrior's game tremendously. It just always seems to be one or the other.

Always a sore spot with parents and folks who believe "team ball" means everybody takes an equal number of shots. When you have a low post the caliber of Pietrowski, the offense should run through her. She takes high percentage shots and is hard to stop when she gets it on the block. If an opponent guards her man to man, 15 shots is not unreasonable. Even against a tight zone or double team she should never get less than ten shots. She is also a good passer and can dump off to the other post or kick out to three point shooters when doubled. Our most successful teams were inside out teams and we force fed the posts at times, but it always opened up the outside. I don't look for Coach Dugger to allow Pietrowski to have anymore five shot games in the tournaments.

Hannah Banks has been one of the most consistent offensive players in the Area. She's certainly capable of playing college basketball. I hope she gets the opportunity to do so. But the Lady Warriors are anything but, a one-gun army. The freshman, Cara Bowling, is very good, one of the best freshman classes since Elizabethton's Baughman and Redd, and Unaka's Seven. Summer Ward, at 5'7"-5'8" is a ferocious post player. Autumn and Heather Hughes have provided several key minutes, Lyndsey Toney is one of the clutch-iest three-point shooters around. And, Courtney Byers missed several weeks during mid-season. If she's finally fully-recovered, the Lady Warriors are a tough assignment for anybody.

I agree with coachh17 (though I'll never admit it), that TEAM is all about assignments, and certainly not about shot quotas. A couple examples: Unaka's Danielle Jones and Chesnie Cox. Jones has been invaluable for Unaka, especially on defense. And Cox has hit some incredible, pressure shots off the bench. Jasmine Jefferson and Chelsea Bowling have played similar roles for the Lady Cyclones. Brooke Hughes is another great player. And the above are all non-starters; there are several first-five players that play vital roles, without taking many shots.