Region 1 Seeds

drem2acheve

Greeneville won the region title with Science Hill second.

We will be taking 8 wrestlers to Chattanooga

103 - Brice Hebert - 3rd

112 - Matt King - 1st

140 - Thomas Willett - 1st

145 - Justin Myers - 2nd

152 - Tyler Aiken - 1st

160 - Joel Brimer - 1st and OW

171 - Charlie Arrington - 2nd

215 - Jeremiah Sims - 2nd

I am so proud of you guys and all of the Greeneville wrestlers. We could not have won the team trophy with just these 8 guys. Thanks to Nic Simpson, Chas Norton, Robert Locklear, Micheal Parr, and Nathan Whitehead for your part of this region championship.

I am proud to have coached you guys this year. Let's make some noise in Chattanooga this year. One more point!!!!!!!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dobyns-Bennett finished 3rd and will be taking 6 wrestlers to Chattanooga

1st Place ??“ 215 - Daniel Preston (Senior)

1st Place ??“ 285 - Zack Fleming (Junior)

2nd Place ??“ 189 - Craig Carter (Junior)

2nd Place ??“ 125 - Austin Mann (Sophomore)

2nd Place ??“ 112 - Adam Mann (Sophomore)

3rd Place ??“ 135 - Adam Metzger (Junior)

Way to go, men! Let's make Region 1 proud.

Thanks TDArtist. You and Coach Brimer and the others have done a very good job this year. Always nice to have a regional title. I was hoping to see Locklear in Chattanooga. I like his heart. Look at Willett, #1. Congrats to Joel for the Outstanding Wrestler of the tournament. I told his dad I hope to see him in the finals. Porkchop, too. This is their year. Willett, if you read this, GOOD JOB. Leave it all on the mat seniors, there ain't no next year.

Good job also to those young men from DB. I know you must be beaming about your son taking 1st and still having another year - presuming zaxdad is for the 285 from DB.

I am sure it will be a good trip to Chattanooga for Region 1.

Source: Kingsport Times-News

Region 1 Wrestling Tournament

Elizabethton, TN

Feb 8-9, 2008

Championship Finals (all go to State)

103 ??“ Steven Goldstein (SH) pinned Tim Auman (Boone) 2:58

112 ??“ Matt King (G) def. Adam Mann (DB) 10-5

119 ??“ Travis Wilson (SE) defeated Jonathan Pearce (SH) 8-2

125 ??“ Justin Snyder (SH) defeated Austin Mann (DB) 2-1

130 ??“ Michael Nease (DC) defeated Logan Bailey (Boone) 10-1

135 ??“ Brett Usary (SH) pinned John Herold (MW)

140 ??“ Thomas Willett (G) defeated Doug Anderson (CC) 15-0

145 ??“ Kole Bishop (SE) defeated Justin Myers (G) 6-0

152 ??“ Tyler Aiken (G) pinned Steven New (C-D) 3:16

160 ??“ Joel Brimer (G) def Greg Tomas (SH) 8-1

171 ??“ Josh Richardson (E) def Charlie Arrington (G) 4-2

189 ??“ Jonathan Kilgore (MW) def Craig Carter (DB) 6-0

215 ??“ Daniel Preston (DB) Jeremiah Sims (G) 2-1

285 ??“ Zack Fleming (DB) pinned Trey Ward (C-D) 3:14

Consolation Finals (winners go to State, plus loser in 140-lb)

103 ??“ Hebert (G) def Doolittle (MW)

112 ??“ Mays (MW) def Canaster (ME)

119 ??“ Looser (JC) def Simpson (G)

125 ??“ Bishop (SE) def Merook (MW)

130 ??“ Davidson (SH) def Malone (WG)

135 ??“ Metzger (DB) def Locklear (G)

140 ??“ Stull (SH) def Pearce (E)

145 ??“ Burns (MW) def Snapp (SH)

152 ??“ Watkins (JC) def Gilliam (DB)

160 ??“ Mathes (Boone) def Shipley (MW)

171 ??“ King (TH) def Garvin (DC)

189 ??“ Montgomery (Boone) def Hall (C-D)

215 ??“ Feathers (Boone) def Coggins (E)

285 ??“ Dickerson (TH) def Whitehead (G)

Region 1 Qualifiers = 43 total

Greeneville State Qualifiers:

1. King - 103

2. Willett - 140

3. Myers ??“ 145

4. Aiken ??“ 152

5. Brimer ??“ 160

6. Arrington ??“ 171

7. Sims ??“ 215

8. Hebert ??“ 103

Science Hill State Qualifiers:

1. Goldstein ??“ 103

2. Pearce ??“ 119

3. Snyder ??“ 125

4. Usary ??“ 135

5. Tomas ??“ 160

6. Davidson ??“ 130

7. Stull ??“ 140

Dobyns-Bennett State Qualifiers:

1. Adam Mann ??“ 112

2. Austin Mann ??“ 125

3. Metzger - 135

4. Carter ??“ 189

5. Preston ??“ 215

6. Fleming ??“ 285

Daniel Boone State Qualifiers:

1. Auman ??“ 103

2. Bailey ??“ 130

3. Mathes ??“ 160

4. Montgomery - 189

5. Feathers - 215

Morristown West State Qualifiers:

1. Herold ??“ 135

2. Kilgore ??“ 189

3. Mays ??“ 112

4. Burns ??“ 145

Sullivan East State Qualifiers:

1. Wilson ??“ 119

2. Bishop ??“ 145

3. Bishop - 125

Jefferson County State Qualifiers:

1. Looser ??“ 119

2. Watkins ??“ 152

Tennessee High State Qualifiers:

1. King ??“ 171

2. Dickerson ??“ 285

Chuckey-Doak State Qualifiers:

1. New ??“ 152

2. Ward ??“ 285

Elizabethton State Qualifiers:

1. Richardson ??“ 171

2. Pearce - 140

Cocke County State Qualifiers:

1. Anderson ??“ 140

David Crockett State Qualifiers:

1. Nease ??“ 130

Thanks TDArtist. You and Coach Brimer and the others have done a very good job this year. Always nice to have a regional title. I was hoping to see Locklear in Chattanooga. I like his heart. Look at Willett, #1. Congrats to Joel for the Outstanding Wrestler of the tournament. I told his dad I hope to see him in the finals. Porkchop, too. This is their year. Willett, if you read this, GOOD JOB. Leave it all on the mat seniors, there ain't no next year.

Good job also to those young men from DB. I know you must be beaming about your son taking 1st and still having another year - presuming zaxdad is for the 285 from DB.

I am sure it will be a good trip to Chattanooga for Region 1.

Yep, JCHS, I'm the 285's dad from D-B. It's great to see wrestling growing as a sport in Region 1. We weren't one of the families that traveled AAU (or even knew anything about wrestling to tell you the truth - and still don't know too much!). We were first exposed when Kingsport added wrestling to middle school 4 years ago. Makes me wonder "what if" we had started earlier. We're definitely converts and hope to do all we can to promote the sport locally and regionally. The region has great wrestlers, great coaches, great families, and great communities backing them up. Yep, I'm proud of my son, but I'm also proud of all the guys from Region 1 and I'll definitely be cheering them ALL on in Chattanooga!

Greeneville takes region title; D-B qualifies six for state

By DAVE ONGIE

KINGSPORT TIMES-NEWS

dongie@timesnews.net

ELIZABETHTON ??” There were plenty of surprises for Greeneville wrestling coach Bill Brimer as the Region 1 tournament unfolded Saturday, but the outcome of the team title wasn??™t one of them.

The Greene Devils rode their talented depth to an easy victory over runner-up Science Hill, sending eight wrestlers to next week??™s state tournament in the process.

A flu bug swept through Greeneville??™s grapplers early in the week, so Brimer was proud of how his team responded.

???We overachieved in some spots and underachieved in others,??? Brimer said after his team racked up 221.5 points to outpace the Hilltoppers by 44.

Matt King, Thomas Willett, Tyler Aiken and Joel Brimer all won individual titles for Greeneville while Charlie Arrington and Jeremiah Simms dropped a pair of heartbreaking decisions in their championship matches.

Now the goal shifts to bringing home some trophies from next week??™s state meet in Chattanooga.

???Hardware is tough to come by down there,??? Coach Brimer said. ???We have to take it one round at a time.

???If you look past anybody down there, your season is over,??? he added.

Meanwhile, Science Hill qualified seven wrestlers for state. Steven Goldstein and Brett Usary won title matches via pinfall while Justin Snyder won a slim 2-1 decision over Dobyns-Bennett??™s Adam Mann.

???I was really worried coming in,??? Science Hill coach Jeff Price said. ???We only had two people that were slam dunks, and that was Goldstein and Usary. So to get seven qualified for state, I??™m happy.???

After entering the season with a young team, Price was thrilled with the progression of his wrestlers.

???The whole thing all year is that we weren??™t going to be able to maintain our level of competitiveness,??? he said. ???As it turns out, these were about as competitive of kids as we??™ve had.???

D-B finished third with 154 points, qualifying six wrestlers for state. Among them were Daniel Preston and Zack Fleming, who won regional titles.

Although D-B coach Buzzy Mann was hoping to get a couple more kids on the bus bound for Chattanooga, he was satisfied with how things turned out.

???I??™m excited for the six kids who qualified,??? Mann said. ???The kids have worked hard all year and done a super job.???

With several wrestlers returning next year, Mann sees next week??™s state meet as a chance to build some momentum heading into next season.

???The thing they need to understand is that they can go down there and get medals,??? Mann said.

Michael Nease, who won the 130-pound title, was the only bright spot for Crockett. Roger Hill??™s team finished a disappointing seventh after a weekend when nothing seemed to go right.

???We??™ve placed high in tournaments all year,??? Hill said after the Pioneers could only muster 75 points. ???More than anything else it was bad breaks and bad draws in the tournament.

???I was really happy until today ??“ I expected to do a lot better than we did.???

Meanwhile, Sullivan South??™s first wrestling team wrapped up its inaugural season by recording 17 points in the tournament.

Wrestling fans really need to unite behind all of the teams to bring our region

up Science Hill has carried the touch. The last few years Greeneville has been the

bearer. Dobynes Bennet is always there very close. The rest of us need to learn

from these three. They receive a lot of support from there schools and community.

Parents former wrestlers at other schools really need to push schools to get

behind the other programs. I know Elizabethton does not even have a dressing

room for there wrestlers to dress in, I know a lot of other schools are in the same

shape. I know about all of the other schools have constant problems with getting

space to even practice. We have been second class long enough. Support

WRESTLING.