Powell wins at Oak Ridge 72-70 in OT

mocs30

Very proud of my boys. Andrew Hansen made the winning basket after splitting a double team and making a strong move to the hole. Nick Gordan made a huge three to put Powell up 2 inside the last minute. Seymore had 32 and Payne came up big in the first half. Total team effort and proof of what can happen when nobody cares who gets the credit. I am so proud of the whole team and Congrats to Coach Ogan on his first ever win at Oak Ridge.

That was Oak Ridge first loss in the new (absolutely beautiful) arena. I'm glad it was to us.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to see the stat sheet from the game, Powell seriously must have shot like 70% behind the arc. Oak Ridge hasn't really played to their full potential the past 3 games and Powell couldn't have played better. GG

One thing that confused me....did the Powell coach not know that you can't run the baseline after a dead ball? It seems like a pretty elementary mistake for a varsity high school coach. Had Oak Ridge gotten a bit lucky, they could have closed that game before it hit OT.

I'm fairly certain that Coach O did not realize it was a dead ball. Thankfully, there was only one second left and OR did not get a real good look.

And what about the other 12 people on Powell's team...? That could have been a devastating mistake for Powell if Oak Ridge had gotten a good look.

Also, Oak Ridge did play with Stephens and Rogers, although Stephens isn't 100%, his hand still does hurt him. I heard Powell hit 15 threes. It's hard to lose when you are that hot.

Powell actually hit 12 threes in the game: Seymore 4, Payne 5, Gordon 2, Hansen 1.

There were some interesting coaching decisions near the end of the game. I think that what happened on the out of bounds play is that Ogan thought (and so did I) that the ball had gone out of bounds on both players and a jumpball had been called and we had the arrow. In that case, it would not have been a dead ball.

Also surprising was that after Dowdell hit the two free throws to tie the game, Norris called off the press and backed into what looked like a 2-3 zone. They trapped out of it once we got into the front court, but Seymore had the ball not, Hansen. When they tried to double Seymore, he was able to get it to Hansen. OR was coming with the double but Hansen split it and made a tough shot off the glass with his right hand coming from the left wing. Sensational game to watch as there were numerous lead changes.

Also, I think it is unfair to Powell to pretend that Oak Ridge played poorly. They didn't. Dowdell had 28 points on 12-14 from the floor. Aside from that Oak Ridge's guards played well and Clark hits several key threes in the second half. Perhaps OR did not play their best game, and how could they with Stephens not being 100%, but it's not like they rolled over and played dead for Powell. The Panthers earned it and scrapped like heck to win that game. My hope is that this carries over into the tournaments.

By the way, on a side note. I cannot understand how D1 schools are not beating down Seymore's door to give him a scholarship. He's 6'5", shoots it great, can dunk the crap out of the ball, and provided really good ball handling to compliment Hansen against the press. He was being guarded most of the night by Dowdell (a D1 signee) and Seymore scored 30. He's a really good player and I don't understand why he is not getting more love. I think that Gordon has also shown that he can play at the next level as well. He's rangy, athletic and is shooting light out from deep.

Stephens played but I'm not sure why. His hand was taped up, he didn't start, and he absolutely was not the normal Jared Stephens. His shot simply could not fall all game long and I don't think he scored. I never want to second guess Coach Ricky Norris, but not so sure about the call to let Stephens play.

Stephens played because he was clearly by a medical doctor. Norris would never put one of his players in harm's way.

Well duh, I'm not saying that Stephens was at risk, I'm saying that him playing did not help and possibly hurt the team. He hasn't practiced much in weeks and his shot was clearly well off. If he wasn't healthy enough to start the game, then why play at all? He is one of the best players in the state when healthy, but pretty average with one hand. It would not have been a bad decision to sit a player that was not healthy in a game that, as far as postseason goes, was meaningless.

""There were some interesting coaching decisions near the end of the game. I think that what happened on the out of bounds play is that Ogan thought (and so did I) that the ball had gone out of bounds on both players and a jumpball had been called and we had the arrow. In that case, it would not have been a dead ball. ""

You can only run the end line on a made basket, a jump ball would make it a spot inbound.

Powell actually hit 12 threes in the game: Seymore 4, Payne 5, Gordon 2, Hansen 1.

There were some interesting coaching decisions near the end of the game. I think that what happened on the out of bounds play is that Ogan thought (and so did I) that the ball had gone out of bounds on both players and a jumpball had been called and we had the arrow. In that case, it would not have been a dead ball.

Also surprising was that after Dowdell hit the two free throws to tie the game, Norris called off the press and backed into what looked like a 2-3 zone. They trapped out of it once we got into the front court, but Seymore had the ball not, Hansen. When they tried to double Seymore, he was able to get it to Hansen. OR was coming with the double but Hansen split it and made a tough shot off the glass with his right hand coming from the left wing. Sensational game to watch as there were numerous lead changes.

Also, I think it is unfair to Powell to pretend that Oak Ridge played poorly. They didn't. Dowdell had 28 points on 12-14 from the floor. Aside from that Oak Ridge's guards played well and Clark hits several key threes in the second half. Perhaps OR did not play their best game, and how could they with Stephens not being 100%, but it's not like they rolled over and played dead for Powell. The Panthers earned it and scrapped like heck to win that game. My hope is that this carries over into the tournaments.

By the way, on a side note. I cannot understand how D1 schools are not beating down Seymore's door to give him a scholarship. He's 6'5", shoots it great, can dunk the crap out of the ball, and provided really good ball handling to compliment Hansen against the press. He was being guarded most of the night by Dowdell (a D1 signee) and Seymore scored 30. He's a really good player and I don't understand why he is not getting more love. I think that Gordon has also shown that he can play at the next level as well. He's rangy, athletic and is shooting light out from deep.

oh..only 12 threes....thats so much better than 15. I mean not to take anything away from Powell because that was a very impressive performance...but all a win like that does is tick off the Wildcats...especially when there is such poor sportsmanship on the Powell side (i.e. rushing the court). To tell you the truth, I understand that, its a big game. I would encourage my students to rush the court if I didnt know its just poor sportsmanship. Oak Ridge already has district won. Therefore the game, really did not mean a thing, except for one loss and one win on records, that by the way means nothing come tourney time. Congrats to Powell.