State predictions- teams

wosbodog

The Individual tourny team champion should be the team that actually gets to call their team state champions at he end of the year. A lot of states dont even have state duals. When you get in college the national champion team is crowned by the NCAA tourny. just my opinion. What team has the guys that can go the distance when every team in the state has their best individuals in it.

Nice point. Soddy should take a stand and hand over their state titles to acclimate this notion.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we only have 3 dual titles. It would be a much better stand if Bradley handed over theirs. They have about 100. But it would take a semi truck to get all their dual plaques back to the tssaa, so i guess they will have to keep theirs.

I was not saying the dual tourny is not an accomplishment. But its weird to have two different teams say they are the state champions in the same year. And to say that your 2x state champions in one year is not right in my opinion. Just like last year Soddy won both, as Bradley has done a few times, and prolly will again this year. and at the next level (NCAA) the national champion team are decided at the tourny. They have national duals, but ask any coach in the NCAA if they would rather win the duals or the tourny, and all of them would say the tourny because that is where the national champion team is crowned. Just my opinion on this situation. There are prolly a lot of people that think different than me.

Isn't Austin Cox the 135 for Independence?

Why did I rank Franklin and Brentwood higher than Independence? Because while Indy's dual team is far superior, the team scoring system at state favors teams like Franklin, with not as many qualifiers but more finalists/champions. Indy might get more medalists, but Franklin (Ortiz, Konz, Davis, Heacock all have a good shot at winning) and Brentwood's (Mustin, Croy, maybe Overmeyer) top guys are ranked higher and should thus score more for their teams.

So.... that dosen't prove a point. If you havn't seen Independence has some good wrestlers who will do some damage at state. I did get to see them at their regional and state duels and the have a very god line up. I'm not sure on the names but here are some.

119-Chase Beazley He will make some noise at state.

125-Jake Twaddle His technique is great and he knows how to use it.

130-? But he doesn't lose by much to Dustin Ortiz

135-Seth Seneca- He will turn some heads and do very well at state.

140-Matthew Gabrail He is one of the best takedown wrestlers i have seen.

145-Brennan Cox- He is a very smart wrestler and knows how to wrestle.

152-? He wrestles smart and doesn't panic when he is in a tight spot and will come out on top.

160-Taylor Dixon He has great takedown skills and defense. His top is amazing.

Coach Grinstaff- He has proven himself time and time again this year. He has all my respect and congrads. Good Luck to you at state.

Now if my math is correct that is eight wrestlers. That two more than six so Independence should and in my thouhgts will do better than Franklin, Brentwood, and Overton. This is the statr of a new Great wrestling team.

I think Grinder has done great things this year but it is not like he took over at Hillwood. That program looked as if it was in great shape before he came. Since he has been there he has done nothing short of a terrific job.

Good luck to all Middle Tn teams

we only have 3 dual titles. It would be a much better stand if Bradley handed over theirs. They have about 100. But it would take a semi truck to get all their dual plaques back to the tssaa, so i guess they will have to keep theirs.

I was not saying the dual tourny is not an accomplishment. But its weird to have two different teams say they are the state champions in the same year. And to say that your 2x state champions in one year is not right in my opinion. Just like last year Soddy won both, as Bradley has done a few times, and prolly will again this year. and at the next level (NCAA) the national champion team are decided at the tourny. They have national duals, but ask any coach in the NCAA if they would rather win the duals or the tourny, and all of them would say the tourny because that is where the national champion team is crowned. Just my opinion on this situation. There are prolly a lot of people that think different than me.

i would say alot of people

You don't count 2seam.

But I agree that two champions seems a bit redundant. But there are merits to having both. Because the best team could not have the best individuals. I mean, Independence got 4th this year at the duals, and they probably wont get more than two medalists.

If I had to pick one system to go by, I would keep the duals and remove the team championship from the tournament. If someone wants to keep track of that, fine, but I would think that the team score would be sitting in the back of the kid's mind as he wrestles.

That's just my opinion.