Qualifications of being MVP

StayStrong

I was shocked when Willie didn't get it either. I think that was the year the guy from Liberty got it. I know, I'm a Bolivar fan to my heart and the mother of one of the players. I know she is just a freshmen and she has her time coming to her. Markita is a senior and she was due her recognition. In a previous post, it was said that it was voted on during the regular season and nobody really knew anything about her coming into the season. I just didn't know how it was voted on. I was just shocked and so was everybody on the Bolivar side that she didn't get it. Maybe next year, she can accomplish this goal.

I will say she is the front runner for the award next year right now. She is a great player and with Rudesill as her coach, the sky is the limit for her. Good Luck against Waverly and I hope we get to see you guys in Lexington again next week. The next few years, Bolivar and McNairy are going to have alot of battles.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that I am one that believes that if there is a qualified senior, that the award should go to a senior. The seniors have been there 4 years and the youngsters will get there chance to shine. For the seniors, it's there last year to really accomplish an award of that magnitude. I believe the same with Miss Basketball. By all means the younger girls should be 1st team, 2nd team, etc, but I love to see a senior who has put in that much of her young life to get it. Also, I don't believe that stats are everything. That would disqualify most point guards. Some point guards are leading scorers for their team, but others who are just as good are not. In my eyes, a point guard runs the show, controls the team, etc. A MVP to me, is a senior who plays like a senior. Who makes a steal when it's needed, can handle the ball at crunch time, and steps up in different ways. But this is only my opinion.

I think that was the opinion of the people who picked. Apparently they almost gave it to her and then changed their minds. I don't agree. This freshman was 2nd in scoring in the conference all year-one point per game behind the first place scorer. She did it all-worked her tail off every game and if she outplayed the seniors, she outplayed the seniors. She was a complete package--rebounds, assists, and NOT a point guard. Her coach even said on the radio that he didn't understand why she didn't get the award. How do you answer that?

• 2 weeks later...

The person in the imac won because it was deserved. It goes to more than just have a great tournament season

I understand your frustration. I raised the same question on the IMAC thread about the MVP of the tournament. A freshman out played everybody in the conference the whole tournament and didn't get the MVP. From what I have also seen in other threads it is not a unique problem. Tennessee seems to be stuck on giving awards to seniors rather than to those that deserve them despite the grade. Also, it seems that these are awards are based on factors other than stats. I don't agree with that, but I don't pick them!!