Dogs vs Landers RD. 4

HamptonBulldogs1

Cloudland is very patient with the ball which is very hard to play against. I think you must do something, like playing man to man or doing a half court trap, to make them do SOMETHING with the ball. I'm not saying they can not run, but if you get into a snails pace game with them they are tough to beat. As far as causing turnovers in the 1-3-1 like playing Unaka, it is not the same playing Cloudland. Cloudland will not turn it over like that. Hampton will try to push the pace and Cloudland will most likely try to slow it down. I think another key to the game is the shooting of Jordan Hughes. If he is hitting outside they are much tougher to defend. Should be a good game.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cloudland is very patient with the ball which is very hard to play against. I think you must do something, like playing man to man or doing a half court trap, to make them do SOMETHING with the ball. I'm not saying they can not run, but if you get into a snails pace game with them they are tough to beat. As far as causing turnovers in the 1-3-1 like playing Unaka, it is not the same. For some reason Unaka started J Peterson, who is a walking turnover, and had to have at least 10 with not very much pressure at all. He was just not ready for that. Snavely has his favorites and JP is definately one of them. Once you seem to get on Snavely's good side you can do no wrong. Cloudland will not turn it over like that. Hampton will try to push the pace and Cloudland will most likely try to slow it down. I think another key to the game is the shooting of Jordan Hughes. If he is hitting outside they are much tougher to defend. Should be a good game.

Sounds like another or the same jealous Unaka parent who has not been allowed to coach as they have done in youth club for years. It is also sad that a grown-up would make personal comments about a 14 year old boy!! If you want to complain about someone of this age, be a man and say it to his parents!!! I don't think this board was intended for personal attacks. How's that?

As far as causing turnovers in the 1-3-1 like playing Unaka, it is not the same playing Cloudland. Cloudland will not turn it over like that.

The 1-3-1 was very effective against Cloudland in the second meeting and it held them to 41 points in the meeting in the district tournament. I agree that Unaka is not the same as Cloudland. In the district, Hampton ran a man-to-man on Unaka on four straight possessions and Unaka scored on every single possession. If Unaka did that, just imagine what Cloudland might do. It is still my belief that defense is not the Dawgs problem. It is the offense. They are going to have to attack Cloudland's zone and swing the ball quick. If they stand and hold it like they usually do, they will be beat once again...

Hampton I believe will finally come out with enough heart and desire to take this game. Lord knows they have the talent but it seems like they just find ways to be as mediocre as possible. The freshmen need to be in the game more. Hampton needs to drive that dang ball right down the lane and make something happen or they'll be sitting at the house.

I predict:

Hampton by 7

I sort of agree with you and I sort of disagree with you. For some reason people think that Cloudland cannot push the ball and run with Hampton. Well, they just beat the 2 best run-n-gun teams in the area (Unicoi, University High) and beat both of them by running. University High played man up on Cloudland the whole night and got beat by 11. And, it is only my opinion and I may be wrong, but I think UH plays a much better man-to-man defense than we do. In the consolation game against Unaka, the Dawgs came out and ran a 1-3-1 without trapping and forced a ton of turnovers. Then in the second half, Hampton went to a man defense. The Rangers then scored on 4 straight possessions which forced White to go back to a 1-3-1. If Unaka did that to Hampton's man defense, I would hate to see what Ned would do to it. In the district meeting with Cloudland, Hampton came out in the 1-3-1 with no trapping and jumped out to an 8 point lead. Then they went a 2-3 and Jordan Hughes made two 3-pointers and that changed the game. I do not think it was the defense at all that lost Hampton the district game though. It was stupid turnovers and not being able to move the ball effectively against Cloudland's 2-3. I will gaurantee that if Hampton holds Cloudland to 41 points tomorrow like they did in the district, the Dawgs will prevail. Having said all that I agree with you that Hampton's best chance to win might be to speed the game up but just speeding the game up is no gaurantee to win. It just irritates me that some people (not you nemesis) think that if Hampton comes out and plays a man defense and speeds the game up they will automatically win. So, if they lose, they will blame the loss on White for not running a man. People like that are not facing the facts about the Landers. Cloudland has proven that they can run with anybody. If Hampton does come out in a man there is absolutely no gaurantee that they will beat Cloudland. I wonder what people would say about White if he did run a man-to-man and Hampton still got beat?

I want and I hope that everyone understands that I feel Cloudland is definitely the team to beat. Their record at C-D is good, very good. Hampton has to play flawless ball to have a chance. I feel that they have the better chance if they go man-to-man full court and runas often as they can. 1-3-1 leaves the deep ball unprotected from the corner and thats where they hit some against us in the district. They were back breakers. I just like our chances better with man-to-man.

I want and I hope that everyone understands that I feel Cloudland is definitely the team to beat. Their record at C-D is good, very good. Hampton has to play flawless ball to have a chance. I feel that they have the better chance if they go man-to-man full court and runas often as they can. 1-3-1 leaves the deep ball unprotected from the corner and thats where they hit some against us in the district. They were back breakers. I just like our chances better with man-to-man.

I also agree that Hampton's best chance to win is with a man-to-man. I just don't know if we can play it well enough to win. The fews times that we have ran a man, we have not been that successful at all. If Hampton comes out and mans up with a purpose then they will have a very good shot of winning. They will have to give the effort and actually want to win in order to defend Cloudland in a man-to-man. Defense is all about desire and who wants it most...

Nemesis, I just don't see how you can say Hampton has to play " flawless" to win. Hampton does need to play good but not flawless. If both teams play their best games, Hampton will win by 15+ . Hampton has the advantage at every single position on the floor except for maybe the point, and when Hughes comes in they have it there or at least break even. Hampton also has a better bench. Cloudland played flawless in the 2nd half against UH and UH went stone cold. You can say it was good defense and it was but UH missed every open look they had, several, several layups and a bunch of free throws. I was tickled to death to see them win instead of UH. If Cloudland plays like it did in the 2nd half of that game, they will be tough, but if they play like they did in the first half of that game or like they did in the first half of the Washburn game, Hampton will kill them. I would say that Cloudland is the one who needs to play flawless.