White House vs. Livingston Academy

BenStiller23

Radioguy.. Not a bad post, but the way I read it, it is very biased.As all LA fans know, it all starts and ends with Dunn is a half truth. Offensively, yes Dunn is generally the go to guy, but TJ, Todd (the Smiths), McClearan and Ramsey (as of late), West, Melton, Peterman, and company have played key roles in the offensive scheme. Todd Smith hit two huge free throws verses SC with 30 some odd seconds left to put LA ahead for good. Dunn had the huge night, but there were alot of little things the stat book did not tell in that particular game..or many others this season.

As all LA fans know, it all starts and ends with Dunn....only a half truth. They play a 5 men on defense not 1.

Both teams can go 9 deep, but trust me, neither wants to. Wrong again. WH may not want to but LA has every game this year. That is why they don't lose alot when they substitute.

You wrote half a page about White House and how they are going to do it and never one time mention the remote chance LA has or would have in this game. You mention Dunn and how horrible SC's coaching was but the SC's coach said himself he would have done it the same. They were contested shots. So, now Wh has the answer in Neal. And you so nicely say TJ is not a "real threat" beacuse he is struggling as of late. Ever think this might be the break-out game? No, you seem to think It will be the Gaines/Barnes/The two Neals and whoever else show. And it very well may be, but please don't think it all starts and ends with Dunn....Or rather do think that, and even convince White House of that too.

Big Daddy ---

What I meant by it starts and ends with Dunn is this ---

Do you honestly think your record would be what it is without Dunn? Not even close and hopefully you will agree with that. Nobody that plays LA gameplans for anyone but Dunn.

As for the benches, go back and look at the scoring, both teams have consistently played 10 guys all year, but once again, my point was that both coaches would will keep their rotations down a little in this game, especially early, unless there is foul trouble.

How can you say that all I talked about was WH and LA didn't have a chance? I have ssen LA 4 times this year and WH five before the regional tournament. I have been predicting this regional final since I watched both teams in December. I like the way both teams play I feel like both teams have a great chance to advance to the State Tournament.

As for the SC coaching.......If you were at that game, you want to tell me that Dunn was contested? That was SC coach just being prideful. How many times did Dunn pull up for a shot before the SC defender was on him. (Several, you have to pick him up right past half-court.) How many times did he go to his right and have a relatively easy shot? (Several again) SC knows dang well that they would not defend him the same way.

I also NEVER said that Neal was the answer, did you read the part where I said he couldn't stop him? But watch Neal tonight and you will see a lot of Dunn in him. And NO he is not Dunn, nor does he have the basketball awareness of Dunn, but he will match his physical effort.

As for TJ having a break-out game.....Thats entirely possible.....Did you read my post????? I said that I thought the difference would be someone other than Gaines and Dunn.....So thats means that U believe someone is going to have a break-out game on one side or another. As for Smith not being a "real threat", I was saying that WH is not going into that game saying, "We got to stop Smith"

So next time Big Daddy, please read the post with an open mind. I don't have a favorite in the game and have no dog in the fight. My only purpose for the post was because I figured that 99% of the people who posted on this topic have only seen the other team play once this year and that was Tuesday. I was giving a very general scouting report. Because you can't judge wither team on what you watched in just one game.

So enjoy tonight and have some fun!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Livingston could be in for a long night. Anytime a team shoots 30 free throws to your 5 its hard to compete. (yes that's right WH 30 free throws to UHS 5) Trust me LA you'll be yelling for the hook call on Gaines as well, but probably won't get it. If i didn't know better i would have thought the game was being played at WH. I've heard some of the UHS players talking about this game and they are all pulling for LA big time!!! I guess they have a bitter taste in there mouth after the hosing they recieved from the officials the other night. Anyways, all i got left to say is.............

H-O-G, E-Y-E, HOG EYE, HOG EYE, TNT!!!!!!!!! GO CATS!!!

If Upperman had quit fouling, White House would have quit shooting free throws. Plain and simple!!!! Don't go blaming the Bee's lose on the officiating, that is a lame excuse. Just accept the lose and move along.

As far as bias comments from fans, that's the way it's supposed to be right? I wouldn't expect LA fans to offer anything short of a bias, we're going to win and here's why, opinion. Pointing out White House fans are bias toward their team is a complete TRUTH !!!! LA fans believe they are unbeatable because of certain factors, just like the White House fans believe they are unbeatable because of certain factors. Why posters get so upset because a White House fan predicts WH will win by 10 and points out the reason why is beyond me. I read how someone is crazy to think their team will win, only to follow that up with a bias opinion as to why that is incorrect and that their team will win. Being a bias fan is what make you a TRUE fan !!!!!

As a member of the broadcasting fraternity that has seen both teams play several times this year in person and a true non-bias fan, anybody that thinks one of these teams would win 9-out-10 match-ups is crazy.

Could one of these teams win by 15 points? Of course, but it's not likely and here's why......

As all LA fans know, it all starts and ends with Dunn. Yes, Smith can get hot from the outside, but he is not consistent enough to tag as a "real threat," just look at his inconsistency of late. But don't expect WH to run a whole lot of gimmicks at Dunn, but instead match-up against him one on one and the occassional double team. WH doesn't care if he scores 35 points (look at Jenkins from Station Camp) and WH beat them 2-out-3 this year. The key will be stopping everyone else. There is no way that WH will allow Dunn to take over like Station Camp did. That has to be the worst coaching of the year. Station Camp kept letting him drive to the basket and never stopped his penetration. Unexcusable - make someone else beat you in crunch time. And WH will.

WH has a guard that can match-up with Dunn (notice I didn't say stop him), he plays hard like Dunn and is very quick. I don't know if WH will put him on Dunn as that will make him burn a lot of energy in the defensive end, but that should be a good match-up to watch. He is #24 and has the last name of Neal (There are 2 Neals on the team, but I believe it's Chad Neal)

As for WH offense, it starts, but doesn't end with Gaines. For all of you that think Gaines is out of shape, your totally wrong. I watched him play Station Camp twice this year and one game he played 45 minutes and the other one I watched he dominated while he was in there, but he had some foul trouble. He is a D-1 college signee (football) and they don't usually sign out of shape, lazy ball players. You will see the effort that is needed from Gaines without a doubt. LA will NOT be able to stop him when he gets the ball, but I think they will key on denying him the ball. Thats their best chance. However, they just got back from an injury, their #2 guard Barnes. He is as good as an any outside shooter you will see and he has the ability to drive and create shots. LA will have to respect him.

The bench edge will go to LA, but not by much. Both teams can go 9 deep, but trust me, neither wants to. They would both like to keep that number around 8.

My prediction is this........

This game will not be decided by Dunn or Gaines, both coaches are too good to be beaten by the obvious threat, but instead this game will be decided by a player that we are not talking much about in my opinion. But of all the games being played tonight, there aren't many out there that will be better than this one in my opinion, but who knows it could be a 30-point blow-out either way.

One last thing, I enjoy reading the post back and forth on this game and many other ones out there, but in the future, please leave the personal jabs at home. The kids who play this game, give it 110% and they also read these post. I know that they have to have thick skin, but there is a line that you can cross and I think as adults we should know that line and when one of our own fans cross it, we should be the first to call them out, so it doesn't happen again. But please don't encourage it or worse, join it.

This game is too great and YOUR kids that are playing it deserve more than that.

Everyone have a great time at the game, it should be a great one!

As a fellow member of the "broadcasting faternity", I can't help but wonder if you are a broadcaster or just another biased fan. You don't make sense with what you are saying about Gaines. Is TSU a D-I school? Also, how can a player play 45 minutes in a high school game that last 32 minutes. Are you serious? Get your facts straight before you start spuing out your biased opinion. Or at least don't post like an IDIOT and call yourself part of the "broadcasting faternity"!!!

As a fellow member of the "broadcasting faternity", I can't help but wonder if you are a broadcaster or just another biased fan. You don't make sense with what you are saying about Gaines. Is TSU a D-I school? Also, how can a player play 45 minutes in a high school game that last 32 minutes. Are you serious? Get your facts straight before you start spuing out your biased opinion. Or at least don't post like an IDIOT and call yourself part of the "broadcasting faternity"!!!

Well Dick -

Your right, I did make a mistake on the minutes played. My notes had Gaines playing all but 3 minutes and I was in NBA mode and just deducted 3 minutes from 48 minutes. My apologies.

And no, I am not a bias fan. I live just North of Chattanooga and could careless, but my area of responsibility for my job is from I-65 East to just West of Knoxville, so I feel like I am educated on both schools. I was simply trying to give some insight.

As for Gaines, he did sign with TSU, but he was recruited by several D-1 schools and had some offers, but his academics were not up to par. You can't deny his athletic ability.

Good Luck All

Boy! Can you feel the electricity? Everyone on here is so emotional!! True fans will cheer (AND CHEER LOUDLY) for their own team, but we shouldn't try to bash the other team's players or fans. Old fashioned rivalry is fun, but don't get so angry. Let the players settle it ON THE COURT!!

GO BIG BLUE!!

Radioguy..I said it is a half truth. No, LA may not be where they are with out Dunn. Dunn and Gaines are what make their teams go. However, take both out and LA is better. At least I can admit I am biased.

LA likes to play 10 deep because he (Melton) has the athletes to play that deep. The bench is not always about scoring, but rather defense, rebounding, making an assist to a scorer. All of which the subs can do and do well because the coach trusts them to do get the job done.

As far as your predictions before regional play...Congratulations, you were right. But, show in your first post where LA has a chance.

I was not at the SC game, but did read were SC coach made that statement to the Tennessean. Maybe I shouldn't have restated what he said. But, I honestly don't think White House can do a much better job. I don't mean that degrading of White House's play, Dunn is just that good. Now that doesn't mean I think he goes for 49 again either, just capable of taking a game over. Most games he does not have to.

I may be reading into it the wrong way, but the way I read your posts you seem to know WH and their players better, despite you watching both teams. And you are giving the edge to WH based a non-biased opinion. I tried reading open mindedly, but my bias has gotten in the way. I re-read it, still the same to me. Maybe you should re-read your own post before hitting the reply button. I am not the only who feels this way.

I will agree both teams are very good and this should all add up to a great game with a great atmosphere already in place for a High School event!

GO BIG BLUE!!!

Radioguy..I said it is a half truth. No, LA may not be where they are with out Dunn. Dunn and Gaines are what make their teams go. However, take both out and LA is better. At least I can admit I am biased.

LA likes to play 10 deep because he (Melton) has the athletes to play that deep. The bench is not always about scoring, but rather defense, rebounding, making an assist to a scorer. All of which the subs can do and do well because the coach trusts them to do get the job done.

As far as your predictions before regional play...Congratulations, you were right. But, show in your first post where LA has a chance.

I was not at the SC game, but did read were SC coach made that statement to the Tennessean. Maybe I shouldn't have restated what he said. But, I honestly don't think White House can do a much better job. I don't mean that degrading of White House's play, Dunn is just that good. Now that doesn't mean I think he goes for 49 again either, just capable of taking a game over. Most games he does not have to.

I may be reading into it the wrong way, but the way I read your posts you seem to know WH and their players better, despite you watching both teams. And you are giving the edge to WH based a non-biased opinion. I tried reading open mindedly, but my bias has gotten in the way. I re-read it, still the same to me. Maybe you should re-read your own post before hitting the reply button. I am not the only who feels this way.

I will agree both teams are very good and this should all add up to a great game with a great atmosphere already in place for a High School event!

GO BIG BLUE!!!

Big Daddy --

I love the fact that both sides are passionate about their teams, thats what makes High School sports so great!

I agree that Dunn has the ability to take a game over and as a member of the Media and someone who casts a ballot for Mr. Basketball, I can tell you that he is thought of very highly across the state.

If you look at what WH did against Jenkins (from SC) they didn't run the whole team at him and he still averaged over 30 points in the 3 games this year, but they lost 2 of those.

Make no mistake about it.....Dunn will be the best player on that court tonight without a doubt.

But as we all know, the best player doesn't always win and thats what makes this game so interesting from a third party perspective.

I know that gym is going to be rocking and I would say that LA will definitely have the advantage with crowd support as well.

If my original post seemed bias, I apologize, because I honestly think this is going to be a great game.

I think LA has the better athletes, but WH has the experience of being here before. So that makes it pretty even to me.

GO BIG BLUE!!!

Anybody on here believe radioguy has seen LA play 4 times? NOT ME. No way to know, but I'd say he will be sitting in the WH section tonight.

I agree that RadioGuy has no clue as to what he is talking about. LA would love it if this game came down to both teams' benches. Dunn is a great player, but LA has alot more to go to as well.

I under stand that every one on here is just being loyal to their team and just really wants their team to win. However, we have to face the facts. LA is more athletic and has more talent. When you put all of that with a great coach like Melton, you are going to have a deadly combination.

But, just because LA should win, doesn't mean that they will. They still have to play with heart, have the right mindset, and get the job done.

This has been a fun thread to read.

But I agree with some of the others.. Dont bash any of the players. Thats not what CoachT is all about.

Keep it clean, keep it fun, and come out to DCA tonight to watch LA win.

I agree that RadioGuy has no clue as to what he is talking about. LA would love it if this game came down to both teams' benches. Dunn is a great player, but LA has alot more to go to as well.

I under stand that every one on here is just being loyal to their team and just really wants their team to win. However, we have to face the facts. LA is more athletic and has more talent. When you put all of that with a great coach like Melton, you are going to have a deadly combination.

But, just because LA should win, doesn't mean that they will. They still have to play with heart, have the right mindset, and get the job done.

This has been a fun thread to read.

But I agree with some of the others.. Dont bash any of the players. Thats not what CoachT is all about.

Keep it clean, keep it fun, and come out to DCA tonight to watch LA win.

Well boys believe what you want, but I have seen both teams play this year, that's kid of my job....

Unfortunately, I will not be covering that game tonight, but I will be watching Antioch and Hillsboro on the AAA side.

I'm pretty sure that I said LA was more athletic and was deeper, but neither teams bench is going to out play the other teams starters.

It's just amazing to me that some of you think that after watching one game that you can tell who's a better coach, better bench and all the intangibles you can't see in just watching one game.

If you want to talk about your team, go ahead, I would do the same if my team was playing, but don't talk about another team that you know nothing about.

If everyone judged both teams of the last game they played against Upperman, then you would not get a true read of the teams. LA won by 3 and yes I know if wasn't that close and WH beat them by 5. But because WH beat Station Camp by 8, does that mean they are better? NO!

Boys - I'm getting ready to head North for some basketball, everyone have a safe trip to wherever your going and enjoy what should be a great game!

I have received a couple good ribbing emails as some of you know who I am and who I write for.......

Here is my "expert" (I say that tounge and cheek) prediction for the game........

LA by 8