Volunteer Falcons 2008?

VHSFALCONS

How is Coach Rider on playing freshman?

Is he willing to play the best talent/athlete he has no matter what grade they are?

In watching coach Rider the last 3 years I would say that he puts the hardest working, most committed & academically focused kids on the field regardless of their grade. When he came to VHS his first year he had a parents meeting in which he told everyone essentially that "DADDY" ball was over and whoever practiced the hardest, worked the hardest and maintained their grades that they would play on Friday nights. His first year he basically started a team comprised of sophmores and stayed with them until they graduated this year. I dont believe he will put the best talent/athlete on the field regardless of grade if they dont put the work in required to earn a playing spot. I have alot of respect for coach Rider and the way he treats his kids and also in the way he holds them to standards and is fair to all the kids. I'm so glad "DADDY" ball was done away with at VHS because in my opinion thats why they had so many losing seasons and the stands were empty!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VHS football back to regular. 3 win possible. Crockett Cocke Clintwood.

I LOVE IT!!! haha! Took a while off of coacht but now that season is rolling around it's time to look around and get peoples thoughts. Comment like this are reason when I was in high school I read this stuff, I LOVE LOVE LOVE people saying nothing but negative and then get proved wrong. I can tell you that volunteer WILL win more than three games. Coach has installed they way things are to be done and it's proven to work the past two years why would it not work this year. Yes the Sr. from last year are gone but that don't mean football ended at Volunteer the underclassmen step in and are doing their work to play on Friday nights. I will be shocked if Volunteer don't get back to the playoffs because I know they can. Good luck Falcons make this person eat their words and then just win because losing shouldn't be an option!

GO Falcons

GO Wasp

-Smith25(52)

In watching coach Rider the last 3 years I would say that he puts the hardest working, most committed & academically focused kids on the field regardless of their grade. When he came to VHS his first year he had a parents meeting in which he told everyone essentially that "DADDY" ball was over and whoever practiced the hardest, worked the hardest and maintained their grades that they would play on Friday nights. His first year he basically started a team comprised of sophmores and stayed with them until they graduated this year. I dont believe he will put the best talent/athlete on the field regardless of grade if they dont put the work in required to earn a playing spot. I have alot of respect for coach Rider and the way he treats his kids and also in the way he holds them to standards and is fair to all the kids. I'm so glad "DADDY" ball was done away with at VHS because in my opinion thats why they had so many losing seasons and the stands were empty!

This should not be taking the wrong way if coach notices a freshmen can get the job done he will be given the chance that the person in front of him for the time being is given. If the younger guy is the one ready and willing to get the job done EVER snap he will play.

-Smith25(52)

This should not be taking the wrong way if coach notices a freshmen can get the job done he will be given the chance that the person in front of him for the time being is given. If the younger guy is the one ready and willing to get the job done EVER snap he will play.

-Smith25(52)

There is a freshman that is coming into Volunteer this season that if given the chance I believe he can prove he has what it takes to play on Varsity. He has a hunger to be on the field, and he will do what it takes to help the team win.

There is a freshman that is coming into Volunteer this season that if given the chance I believe he can prove he has what it takes to be a starter on Varsity. He has a hunger to be on the field, and he will do what it takes to help the team win.

If this kids name is Devon then I have heard of him but there is also word that he is a bit cocky and a bit cocky will get you hurt at the varsity level. When a freshmen come in it's much different then the middle school ball they are use you got Sr MLB's for other team that will step up and meet you in the hole and rock your world and take the cocky right out of you REALLY QUICK!

If this kids name is Devon then I have heard of him but there is also word that he is a bit cocky and a bit cocky will get you hurt at the varsity level. When a freshmen come in it's much different then the middle school ball they are use you got Sr MLB's for other team that will step up and meet you in the hole and rock your world and take the cocky right out of you REALLY QUICK!

I don't know who you're talking about, but if I'm reading this correctly you're talking about Devin Rogers. He is a tough and confident kid I should know I'm his brother. I don't think he will have that much trouble adjusting if he gets the chance to play varsity. How would you know anything about him if you graduated in 07. He was in 7th grade then so don't hate on someone for being good.

-Smith25(52)

I hope my rambling didn't confuse my answer because that is exactly what I meant, no matter their grade level if their willing to put in the work required by coach on the field and in the classroom they will earn a playing spot.

I don't know who you're talking about, but if I'm reading this correctly you're talking about Devin Rogers. He is a tough and confident kid I should know I'm his brother. I don't think he will have that much trouble adjusting if he gets the chance to play varsity. How would you know anything about him if you graduated in 07. He was in 7th grade then so don't hate on someone for being good.

i think its funny that you read Eds post and decided to make a profile but its cool....i got EDs back on this one for now..... and yes i do know devin personaly and he is by far one of the cockiest people i know and yes ive seen him play, he is a good player but by no means is his BODY ready for varsity ball. Ive seen him workout and hes weak. The one thing he has going for him is his speed. But beleive me he isnt ready to start. But I also hope him the best and if he does prove that he can take the beating of varsity play and that he can get the job done then he deserves it.....http://footballrecruiting.Unapproved Website/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=82589...But can you honestly tell me that he can take a couple good hits from this guy...the website is a profile of demarcus knight and he is the middle linebecker at mo east. Im sorry big brother but im going with a no. Good luck to the falcons.....and tell devin to use this as motivation im not raiding on him but right now he has to work hard in the weight room and then Coach Rider will make the decision and i know it will be whats best for the team

i think its funny that you read Eds post and decided to make a profile but its cool....i got EDs back on this one for now..... and yes i do know devin personaly and he is by far one of the cockiest people i know and yes ive seen him play, he is a good player but by no means is his BODY ready for varsity ball. Ive seen him workout and hes weak. The one thing he has going for him is his speed. But beleive me he isnt ready to start. But I also hope him the best and if he does prove that he can take the beating of varsity play and that he can get the job done then he deserves it.....http://footballrecruiting.Unapproved Website/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=82589...But can you honestly tell me that he can take a couple good hits from this guy...the website is a profile of demarcus knight and he is the middle linebecker at mo east. Im sorry big brother but im going with a no. Good luck to the falcons.....and tell devin to use this as motivation im not raiding on him but right now he has to work hard in the weight room and then Coach Rider will make the decision and i know it will be whats best for the team

So you really know Devin? If you are saying all this you must.

I do know Devin and he is honestly one of the most humble young men I have ever known, and to be as talented as he is that says alot(Lord knows if I was 14 with his talent, I couldn't be as humble as he is). He is a great christian kid, that puts God before anything. He has a great support group in his mother, grandmother and brother. He works just as hard in the classroom as he does on the field, so grades will not be a worry for him in high school.

If he doesn't get in the game on varisty expect him to be on the sidelines cheering on his teammate's and congraulating them when they come off the field.

And why pick on a young man that has only worked out a handful of times in his life? Is he suppose to come in and bench 225 for 20 reps?

If he doesn't get the chance to play on varisty this season, it will just make him work that much harder in the coming years to better himself.

As for the Falcons I was at the passing camp last night they did look pretty good.

Cradic has a nice arm on him, the wide recievers ran some good crisp routes, Austin catches pretty much anything thrown to him.

I am just ready for the pads to be put on and full contact to start. Only 48 days till the first game, which sadly I will miss the first two as I will be in New York City for 28 days working for Nike at the US Open.

If you know Devin then who are you?

So you seen him work out and you think he is weak. Wow how strong is a freshman supposed to be? I think he is pretty strong since he's only worked out 4 times. I guess we will see how weak he is when they go full pads. Whats the deal with you and the weight room anyway? Just because you can lift alot of weight don't mean you are a good football player. The weight room won't give you TALENT. No one said anything about him starting on varsity, but I know he will get playing time. He should be cocky when he's on the field. Why put that link up with that LB? Everyone that plays football is going to get hit and if you are scared you don't need to play. Anyway I can't wait for the season to start. GO FALCONS

I I'm not hating no one I support every single person that plays Volunteer football. I was just commenting because I do know that your brother told the upperclassmen running back to not worry about starting that he was going to be the one on the field. I find that a little hard to say coming in as a freshmen not ever taking one varsity snap. If your really interested in how I know of your brother it just so happens that I am dating a girl thats brother is a player at Church Hill middle and is very good himself. I'm not taking anything away from how good the kid may be but I don't feel that coming in as a freshmen you can guarantee to start, now playing time could be a different story as a down and distance back. I never said he wouldn't play I don't foresee him starting this season but let him prove me wrong it won't be the first time.

The talk about the weight room and having to lift all this weight to play thats should def STOP because if that were true I wouldn't have played. I max as a sr the same weight on bench I max as a fresh. Granted that lift in football isn't all that big of a deal unless you play line but my max on squat only went up 150 in four years and power clean only 70lb in 4years. So that is not at all what makes a good football player but I will tell you this, the weight room does help a WHOLE lot come game time.

Smith25(52)

Hey guys, lets use this for support of the Falcons. No use fighting amongst ourselves.Looking forward to another year of football, its just a few weeks away.

I agree with VHSFalcons, Coach will put the eleven guys on the field that he thinks gives us the best chance to win regardless of grade.

GO FALCONS!!!