Bearden Invitational

Tribe007

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To Dins8, I agree with your take on the games. I would like to add that there have been some great games so far and very good, even match-ups. I watched the first half of CBHS vs CAK. It was 2-0 and Christian Brothers dominated most of the play. They scored in the first 2 minutes and then again at about the 8th minute from a corner kick. I left after the half- don't know the final score. Tomorrow has West vs CBHS at 9:00....I will be there- this may be the best game of the tourny!! They both hustle and are agressive....I expect a war. Then that is followed by Catholic vs Baylor at 11:00 a.m. I haven't seen Catholic play yet this year, but Baylor is a GREAT team! It should be fun. Then Maryville vs Morristown West at 1:00. Bearden Vs Catholic is will be palyed Monday at 7:00 p.m. On thing I might add to your comments about the Hendersonville VS Bearden game. It looked like Hendersonville was going out of their way to make it a physical game in the early part of it. They ended up with 2 yellow cards on some un-needed fouls. One thing I can say about Bearden is this....if you want to get into a smash-mouth game....they will be more than willing!!! When the game was 2-0 Hendersonville got frustrated and it only got worse for them. I have watched Bearden for years both having sons playing for them and having sons play against them. I have never seen a team get more fouls called against them.(Even in the CBHS game fouls were 19 for Bearden, 11 for CBHS) I would have no trouble admitting when they DO foul, and this Hendersonville game is one of them......I think Bearden ended with 7 yellow cards in that game. The point is this...Bearden is used to that type of play, it doesn't rattle them at all. Its a bad idea to play rough with them....and if you do, I'd be ready to get some back.

any word on the CAK/CBHS result?

CBHS was up 2-0 at halftime. CBHS scored both goals very early. The first one was a lack of communication in the CAK defense and the next was a corner kick. CAK plays with a lot of heart and some of the best class I've ever seen.

On the corner kick that CBHS scored on, the referee gave CAK a goal kick. Everyone at Bearden knew it was CBHS corner kick except for the AR and center ref. So CAK took the goal kick and kicked it over the end line to give CBHS the corner kick they deserved. CBHS ended up scoring on the corner kick, giving them a 2-0 lead. I've never seen that before, and I can't say that I would have done the same thing, but like Coach Lima said, "that was beautiful" and showed "great character."

Not sure on the final yet. But both teams were playing very hard on a very sloppy, wet field. Congratulations to the winner. Also, congrats to BigG on demonstrating some amazing class and character. I'm pretty sure you would have a hard time finding another coach and team that would display this sportsmanship in this type of game.

CAK is taking on some very tough competition early this season, I know other teams are as well, but they lost a lot and brandon deciding not to play could have led their coach to ease into the season and let his team develop. I applaud him for taking on the tough schedule. Also, hearing that they would play the ball out to insure the corner doesn't surprise me at all. He is one of the few coaches that is genuine when he talks about winning being a bonus to helping these young men grow and develop with class. Cheers to you Coach Gerlach.

After reading Big G's comments on these threads it does not surprise me...very classy coach. Tomorrow's games will be very muddy and messy for all if Knoxville is getting the rain that Chattanooga is getting tonight.

CBHS was up 2-0 at halftime. CBHS scored both goals very early. The first one was a lack of communication in the CAK defense and the next was a corner kick. CAK plays with a lot of heart and some of the best class I've ever seen.

On the corner kick that CBHS scored on, the referee gave CAK a goal kick. Everyone at Bearden knew it was CBHS corner kick except for the AR and center ref. So CAK took the goal kick and kicked it over the end line to give CBHS the corner kick they deserved. CBHS ended up scoring on the corner kick, giving them a 2-0 lead. I've never seen that before, and I can't say that I would have done the same thing, but like Coach Lima said, "that was beautiful" and showed "great character."

Not sure on the final yet. But both teams were playing very hard on a very sloppy, wet field. Congratulations to the winner. Also, congrats to BigG on demonstrating some amazing class and character. I'm pretty sure you would have a hard time finding another coach and team that would display this sportsmanship in this type of game.

This is the sixth year I've had a son playing for CBHS (not the same son). I've refereed close to 200 games, and I've watched more than I care to count. I've never seen such a class act and sporting gesture as CAK and Coach G did on that corner kick. What a great lesson for our kids and the fans in the stands. Thank you Coach!

It was a hard played game and the main reason we like to come to Knoxville to play. Good competition. The Bearden game was, the CAK game was, and I fully expect the game against West to be the same. It will benefit all the teams to play like this early on. With only two returning starters, we've got some kids getting great varsity experience. Thanks to the Bearden folks for their hospitality in hosting a good tournament in some tough weather conditions. Good luck to all this year.

Thks!

Why, Big G?

I am fascinated with your decision to kick the ball out of bounds after the referee missed an obvious corner kick. Did you instruct your players to do this? I would never tell my players to do this for several reasons:

1.) Referees miss calls; they are human and not omniscient. Surely, there was a point in the CBHS game in which the ref made a poor call that had an adverse effect on your team as well. I instruct my players to respect the referees and understand the fact that they make mistakes. I would hope that a good referee calls a fair game, and the mistakes even out in the end.

2.) I would be terribly afraid that a referee would consider this an attempt to challenge his credibility or competence. Undoubtedly, you were not trying to do this; you have a reputation of being a class act. However, I always believe that refs take things personally, and a direct kick out of bounds might embarrass a pompous referee.

Big G, I have no doubt that your decision was a reaction to a call that you thought was unfair. I am just curious as to whether or not you considered some of the things that would have made me hesitant to make the same call as you. Hopefully you know that I think you made a classy move, and hopefully you know that I am not trying to stir things up by suggesting that I would have reacted differently. I admire your sportsmanship!

One more thing: CBHS is GOOD, aren't they?

Why, Big G?

To put it simply, I feel there is more to life than winning a game.

However, I always believe that refs take things personally, and a direct kick out of bounds might embarrass a pompous referee.

I know these refs, and they know me. I was not concerned one bit. Even if they were offended, I still would have done the same thing. It was the right thing to do.

One more thing: CBHS is GOOD, aren't they?

Yes. Very good.

Dins, I appreciate your comments, and respectfully disagree with them. I don't mind if people don't understand, or would do things differently. I also don't think it would have been "wrong" for us to play that goal kick, just as many teams would have. My boys are just very adamant about playing with class and sportsmanship, and representing the name on the front of their jerseys the best way they know how. It was there decision to play that ball out, and I back them up 100%. I don't want to just be a team that preaches but doesn't practice.

Did it cost us the game? I don't think so in the long run. CBHS is VERY good, and while we had chances, they outplayed us. Did we make an impact, even in losing? I hope so. That is my goal as a coach, and my players goal as a team.

Also, to all of you who complimented myself and the boys, I thank you. It means a lot to me.

Like Akula says, if you are ever around a game, and I am there, please introduce yourself. I would love to meet you and put a face to a screen name (or in Dins case, just a name to a screen name!)

To put it simply, I feel there is more to life than winning a game.

I know these refs, and they know me. I was not concerned one bit. Even if they were offended, I still would have done the same thing. It was the right thing to do.

Yes. Very good.

Dins, I appreciate your comments, and respectfully disagree with them. I don't mind if people don't understand, or would do things differently. I also don't think it would have been "wrong" for us to play that goal kick, just as many teams would have. My boys are just very adamant about playing with class and sportsmanship, and representing the name on the front of their jerseys the best way they know how. It was there decision to play that ball out, and I back them up 100%. I don't want to just be a team that preaches but doesn't practice.

Did it cost us the game? I don't think so in the long run. CBHS is VERY good, and while we had chances, they outplayed us. Did we make an impact, even in losing? I hope so. That is my goal as a coach, and my players goal as a team.

Well said!