15:U AAU Teams in Nationals

Guest teamtenn

TeamTenn....you seem to be showing the first signs of having a grudge toward my program. Don't tell me how to act as a Coach. I am simply stating my opinion, backed by facts, that we in 15's this year, are as good as any team in the state, and honestly any team in the country.....

The AAU Nationals are not the end-all or measuring stick for a great year for us. Would we have liked to be in the Nationals in 15's? Yes, of course. But the Nationals are just another great tournament with talented teams from accross the country, just like Boo Williams, Charlie Webber Inv, Southern Inv, T.O.C., Vegas Big Time, Atlanta Basketball Classic, etc. AAU Nationals are just another in a long line of great tournaments out there (only 17's Nationals have a higher stock than other AAU Nationals, because of the NCAA Sanction). That is why some great programs elect not to go to Nationals (or participate in AAU), such as the Travelers, Atlanta Celtics, SE Pump 'n Run, Southern California All Stars, Riverside Church, Belmont Shores, Michigan Hurricanes, just to name a few......

So, yes I feel we definitely compete at a National level, and have all year. Just like Stokomo stated, one bad weekend, and you're out; that's the name of the game in AAU. But that doesn't take away from an outstanding year by our 15's, who won Two Tournament Championships this year, beat a number of teams Nationwide (4 wins over out of state teams in Nationlas, 2 wins over teams that were in the Championship bracket), a 4-1 record vs older teams, and a 19-6 overall record in a tough schedule: that qualifies for a very good year, and the ability to compete nationally...........................

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sou-Cal AStars compete in top-notch invitationals, like the other teams I mentioned plus others like World Wide Renegades and Tim Thomas Playaz, highlighted by their participation in the Bob Gibbons Tournament of Champions (T.O.C.) and Vegas Big Time. SCAStars and Riverside, again, are two prime examples of great programs that do not compete in AAU............

In fact, the competition level at most of these major tourneys are much higher than in AAU Nationals, in all three age groups, due to the participation of these great non-AAU programs, and the absence of below-average teams (which there are many in AAU Nationals, at least in the 15's).............

I agree that the competition is probably better at those prestigious tournaments but that is true in all aspects of basketball...

I mean the Arbys classic in Bristol is probably better competition for the most part then lets say the average run of the mill district tournament.

The Preseason NIT or the Great Alaska Shootout is always filled with great teams like Duke Cincy, Gonzaga, St Johns, Syracuse, etc. and from top to bottom they are probably better then the NCAA tournament.

I would rather win the AAU title over most of the other selected touranments you speak of, only because 128 teams from just about every state are there...not to mention all the kids that were eliminated in substate or state touranments...but that is just my preference, having a good showing at one of those touranments is always nice, but I think the average basketball fan will judge you more on how well you do at AAU, but I could be totally offbase.

Guest teamtenn

Gomab:

One. I am not knocking your program. I want you to be responsible and except responsibilty for the decisions you make for your basketball team. Keep your focus. It made no sense for you to have your team play in AAU and another tournament at the same time. Now, you claim to have a very talented team, but you underestimated the Knox Lakers and Run & Gun. There are all kind on tournaments, but which one will give the most exposure. I talked to Ron Balanis at Notre Dame and he told me that they attend (by NCAA rules) AAU Junior Division, in Orlando FL, Kingwood Classic and the Bigtime Tournament in Las Vegas, Neveda. Gomab keep your focus in AAU, the state of Tennessee. If you read my email, I talked about beating the champion (YOMCA). That goes for anybody who is playing AAU in this state. We can't talk about beating any team in the nationals until you ace your test. Defeat YOMCA. Continue working with the kids and call each one and tell them to take the ACT in September and require each one to keep there grades above GPA ABOVE 2.5. Yes, I want to win in AAU so we can get some recognition of having good players in the midstate area. AAU is organized practice, but where it really counts is on your school teams. This is what I tell my son Jamal Richardson. Coaches know him for what he did in the state tournament as a freshman. Bearden was leading by 3 and Jamal penetrated to the basket, made the basket, got fouled and made the free throw and tied the game up at 57-57 in the remaining minute of the game. AAU prepared him for just that moment. Gomab you do a good job giving the kids any opportunity to play ball, but keep your focus and try to win the 16:U AAU state tournament. Next season, I look forward to putting a tournament together and I expect to see your team, CDF, RUN/GUN, MLK, Tenn. Thunder, Bullets so I don't have to travel to Memphis to play a good basketball game. This will be a tournament to get everybody ready for subs-state play.

Coach John Richardson 615-865-8354 home.

[Edited by teamtenn on 7/15/02 10:13A]

Guest teamtenn

Memphis Rebels:

You are more than welcomed to play in the tournament. We just need to play ball. It is hard to play street ball because the older guys fight to much over calls. If possible, I might try a put a tournament together before school starts. The fee will be affordable. We will need to pay for gym time and refs. Thanks Coach Richardson

email: jrichardson@nespower.com

I wasn't going to announce it yet, because there are still a few details to be worked out, but....

TENNESSEE CHALLENGE for the CROWN

April 11-13

Various schools in Clarksville (NE high, NE middle, Rossview)

TSSAA rules (stopping clock, 4 8:00 quarters, etc)

-Taking the Top 8 teams in Tennessee in each age group

-ONLY taking Tennessee teams

-We want 3 Memphis teams (ex: YOMCA, Idlewild, Rebels), 3 Middle TN teams (ex: Thunder, Ballerz, and one other per age group-Stallions, CDF, Team TN, Columbia Bullets) and 2 east TN teams (Tn Breakers and Chatt Steam, etc)

-This is a Challenge to the Best in TN, whether they play AAU or not (Travelers, Steam, etc) to come together for state bragging rights.....

In June, another tournament will be held, either in the 'Boro or in Clarksville, for teams inside and some of the best teams Out of the State, called the "Midstate Basketball Classic"

As for the TN Challenge for the Crown.....This is a chance for a lot of teams to prove themselves--teams that are as good as any but may falter in Substate (Team TN 15's, Columbia Bullets 15's, Idlewild 16's, Bulldogs 16's, Murfreesboro Nets, etc) or teams that don't play AAU, so can't compete against other TN teams (Chatt Steam, Tn Travelers(who won't come I doubt).....This is for the Tennessee Challenge for the Crown!!!!!

[Edited by gomab2 on 7/15/02 3:02P]

• 3 weeks later...

Tennessee teams can compete. The Travelers have competed with a great deal of success at this level for many years. They just choose not to play AAU anymore. One of their coaches explained that they would rather play invitationals only because of more exposure and better competition. Every tournament they play is like a national tournament. Before they stopped playing AAU, they won something like 15 state championships in nine years and made like three or four AAU national championship games. They lost one of those at the buzzer. Just because they don't play AAU, let's not forget the program who set the standard statewide along with the YOMCA.

YOMCA hasn't been around that long. In fact I never heard of it till about 3 or 4 years ago.. I'm sure the Travelers are a really good team, but because they choose not to play aau, its hard to say how good they are. SouthernCal has proven they will win at the aau level (I saw them do it a few years ago with their 13's), and Riverside plays BCI, other great programs like the Milwaukee Playground Warriors also play AAU. I honestly dont care which team is better...the fact that the travelers use several counties and regions to get their players instead of just one like the Y uses proves to me which team is the best. And if the Y had the best players in the city of Memphis on one team...they would definitely play well if not beat the Travelers, I think Gomab would agree.

Let us also not forget about the Bellevue teams from the early 90's. Tony Harris, Robert O' Kelley, Corey Bradford comprised the Bellevue Flames/ War Eagles who went on to win the AAU National Championship in 92? What many people don't know is the best shooter was Michael Black a former MUS standout. The trio I just mentioned later teamed up with Paris London (got cut by Bellevue in 92) to form the Idlewild Flames who also won AAU I believe...I know they came in third one year, and I think they won it the next. When those guys were playing, I think the Y was just starting to come around...When Harris was 17, it was him Bradford, and Terry Rogers (6'10 240 jr at East) going against a Paris London led YOMCA team that was significantly weaker then the Idlewild team..that was the first time I had seen the YOMCA team play, and they have gotten bigger and better since then, far surpassing any AAU team in Memphis. YOMCA's dominance can be traced to the fact that they are able to get guys from Fairley, Hamilton, Wooddale etc. In fact about 60% to 70% of the Fairley varsity is YOMCA's 15 and under team. Chad Henderson, Owens, and Sean Cromwell all start, and I believe their small forward also plays for Fairley, who is one of the best teams in Memphis this year behind White Station and Raleigh Egypt. YOMCA also has enormous money behind the program. The kids work out at Dean Lotz professional training facility. Lotz has a NBA floor and is responsible for training some of the best athletes in the world like Penny Hardaway, Mike McKenzie, Lorenzeon Wright, Isaac Bruce, Dwayne Rudd, etc. YOMCA also has ties to individuals such as Keith Easterwood and Bobby Dodd and this along with the fact that they have a contract with NIKE is very appealing to the Memphis kids.

[Edited by TheEgoHasLanded on 7/31/02 5:54P]